Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

I think this was raised when the CAD was published and the cabside still looks wrong to my eye.  I suspect that the windows are just too small: the pillar between them certainly seems too wide.  Props to @Daddyman for requesting actual measurements, though.

Thanks for the "props" - now I just need to know what they are.... ;)

Yes, they seemed to use the Railway Modeller drawing - without referring to my letter the next month pointing out all the flaws in the drawing, including the size of the cab side windows. 

• RMweb Gold

Got my grubby mitts on one, seems a nicely made model, certainly runs very well, smooth straight out of the box and with a Zimo MX638D decoder (yes, it is 21pin). 

Cab side windows come out at 8mm (very top) x 6mm, central pillar 2.8mm, front and back 3mm.

20210629_171947_copy_1600x1200.jpg.a2a615fe20af782fed1449f2135d27f4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I now wonder if the fall plate will ever fall flat?

It is a bit sticky, the other issue is now I've put the tender drag beam on the short setting it can't negotiate any curves, little bit of trimming needed. 

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Cab side windows come out at 8mm (very top) x 6mm, central pillar 2.8mm, front and back 3mm.

Thanks very much for that - and for the super side-on view. 

Bradwell windows are 6.6 wide and centre pillar 2.3. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

It is a bit sticky, the other issue is now I've put the tender drag beam on the short setting it can't negotiate any curves, little bit of trimming needed. 

You'll be taking the rivets off the smokebox, I expect? 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks for the "props" - now I just need to know what they are.... ;)

Yes, they seemed to use the Railway Modeller drawing - without referring to my letter the next month pointing out all the flaws in the drawing, including the size of the cab side windows. 

I have sought out a suitable hat, placed it on my head and doffed it in a more traditional gesture of appreciation.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot of the problem with rivets is interpretation of the drawings, I mean, how many g*r loco models have a rivet sticking out of the middle of the number plate on the cab side?

Looking at photos of P3s some had round rivets around the splashers but not along the edge. 

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

... and Mr. Woods version from 1967.  (which shows the cab windies to good effect).

Brilliant photo! My Bradwell one is going into that... err.... livery: BR standard brown. 

No visible rivets on the Q6 either. 20161015_155238.jpg.bc8ad0b92fb81c3fbe8c7b2d2e09abd7.jpg

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Looking at photos of P3s some had round rivets around the splashers but not along the edge. 

All, surely? Aren't the splashers separate castings? (I mean on the real thing.) 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

Mine is currently running with the close setting of the draw bar round my loop with 30 inch minimum radius.  Mostly quite happily. There are a couple of spots where there is resistance due to the fall plate. As these are only in certain spots on the loop I imagine the radius must dip below 30 inches in those spots.

Incidentally mine has a spare draw bar in the little bag of bits. It has the same 2 lengths as the one fitted. 

A follow on to the one that arrived with broken drawbar pin.  Talking to one of my friends (I do still have a few) on the phone, his arrived with the drawbar tightened so far there was no left-right movement.  

With the odd ones appearing with slack connecting rod screws there seem to be a few things emerging that need to be checked on arrival.  Oddly enough the QC list isn't that much longer than on similar sized locos of almost twice the price....

Interesting thought.

Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Daddyman said:

All, surely? Aren't the splashers separate castings? (I mean on the real thing.) 

Yes, they're all riveted down, some show flush rivets and some round, as can be just seen on the Q6 above.

On 29/06/2021 at 20:16, Daddyman said:

BR standard brown. 

But will you get the correct shade of brown?

65788, JMB'sBridge 15th May 1965

On 30/06/2021 at 07:10, Worsdell forever said:

Yes, they're all riveted down, some show flush rivets and some round, as can be just seen on the Q6 above.

Looks like the Oxford rail "engineers" preferred an excess of rivets around their splashers. The combined splasher/sandbox  looks to have a bit strange shape in the front view  (Radiused on the inside edge)  and do they extend out too far towards the running plate edge a la Bachmann J72?

The firebox door knob looks good though. Pity they missed off its twin from the cylinder access plate.

I do keep having to remind myself it comes in at less that £90 though. That somewhat tempers the thought of having to take my hammer & files to it. 

Junk the bit in italics. After looking through more photos the shape looks OK.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add missing letters. Correct my mistake.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Just leave these here, still a few little jobs to do. 

20210630_161527_copy_1428x764.jpg.69948246a5977c25b7dd247f461401df.jpg

20210630_161358_copy_1600x764.jpg.96cc43bc41d9c1239eaa7809195d2b65.jpg

20210630_161825_copy_1425x764.jpg.5361edd4b38b6c17e0e6bb895a711b8b.jpg

Well, that looks superb, and certainly answers the questions I'd been mulling over about rolling one back to P3 condition. A P2 might not be out of the question either, once they started getting P3 boilers and bigger cab spectacles.

Will you be removing the wheel balance weights? Though they aren't overly visible to be fair, and I imagine it would be a bit of a tricky operation.

I really must see how much is in the piggy bank!

Cheers

J

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Yes, just pulled out

P  (II),

did you slip any p'card washers ahind the wheels and where the broke blacks OK for clearance?  I have a plan.

P  (III)

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

P  (II),

did you slip any p'card washers ahind the wheels and where the broke blacks OK for clearance?  I have a plan.

P  (III)

Not put anything behind the wheels, the brake blocks hold them in position. Centre blocks might need a bit trimming off the back of them to allow a bit more side play.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Not put anything behind the wheels, the brake blocks hold them in position.

You'll not be popular with the fitters. All them brake blocks to change and all them iron filings will screw up the motor, shirley?