Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

The photo of the J27 at Blyth looks like 65859 to me. I've pointed out earlier in this thread (page 5) that some of the shed allocation data (and therefore possibly other information) for class J27 locomotives has been entered incorrectly on the BR database website. According to 'Shed by Shed part 3 (North Eastern)' by Tony Walmsley 65859 was allocated to Blyth between 4/66 and 8/66.

I did send a message to the BR database informing them of the error(s) but I assume no corrections have been made.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DougN said:

I would say that these are better reviews as they really are reviews rather than unpaid for Advertorials.   

A pity the same couldn't be said for the Hornby A2/2 "review" the other month where the clearly distorted running plates and dodgy paint finish were glossed over (see what I did there ;-) ) in a sentence but the well nigh invisible from most angles cab interior detail was given unstinting praise.

Anyway, nice to see the J27 appearing at a good price point, might well buy myself one shortly.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Oxford Rail LNER J27 Class 0-6-0 edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar locomotives from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see LNER J27 0-6-0, No.1010 hauling a short pick-up goods train, consisting of a mixture of company and local private owner wagons.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

I received my J27 yesterday as a birthday present to myself next week.

I’m very happy with it, and as I use 3 link couplings it’s a nice touch to add them in the box, my only criticisms is with these 3link couplings… there is no way to fit them into the hole proved into the plastic hook!

I also think that the hook should be made from metal as well, even for people who don’t use 3 links it would look much better. I think that this model is a really nice one and the only things I will have to do is to paint a touch of black paint on the axle ends. 

I may have to invest in a J26 when they come out as well. 

• Like 3

On 02/07/2021 at 15:16, Alcanman said:

Enjoying this thread very much and learning more about the J27s which were an everyday sight back in the 1960s for me.

I wonder if someone could identify the number of the J27 in this photo I took at North Blyth in 1966.

img124.jpg

65859 to me. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ken 63388 said:

The photo of the J27 at Blyth looks like 65859

21 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

65859 to me. 

Could either of you care to explain away 65859's steel buffer beam, buffer beam holes for snow plough, no lubricator, radiused frame extensions and curved piano boiler weight? 

Non of which is seen on Alcanmans original photo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

You have probably seen these.

https://flic.kr/p/bcb9dz

https://flic.kr/p/bbceip

https://flic.kr/p/rEMgfJ

https://flic.kr/p/dqQ6pv

A rivet free running plate.  Boot print transfers and masks are apparently available for the military modeller.  No evidence of the lifting cut out on the cab roof.

658934030_65842_1965-Edit.jpg.a34afa85b47cf81a85aacc3ef071aac9.jpg

Oooh! Nice! Thank you. Hadn't seen them. 

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Could either of you care to explain away 65859's steel buffer beam, buffer beam holes for snow plough, no lubricator, radiused frame extensions and curved piano boiler weight? 

I wonder if it could possibly be 65869 ,which was a Blyth engine. Seen here at South Blyth shed.

65855 & 65869 at South Blyth shed.jpg

No. I just looked at the number on a big screen and read the number plate as that. Thats what I thought was needed and thus tried to help. But the world is still turning...  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just done a quick copy and paste when bored in a teams meeting to enlarge the number. Try 65899.

65859.jpg.36682d279cd835e203fcf4c2c8c6221a.jpg

Edited by The Black Hat

11 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

You must be real fun at parties

Correct, but you would need to ask others to confirm.

I'm just trying to help Alcanman  find the answer to a question he posed earlier in the thread.

One thing I haven't done is throw in a curved ball without looking through just the last few pages to avoid duplicating or giving confusing answer. I bet you would be one of the first complainants if Oxfordrail brought out a J27 and numbered it "65899".

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Correct, but you would need to ask others to confirm.

I'm just trying to help Alcanman  find the answer to a question he posed earlier in the thread.

One thing I haven't done is throw in a curved ball without looking through just the last few pages to avoid duplicating or giving confusing answer. I bet you would be one of the first complainants if Oxfordrail brought out a J27 and numbered it "65899".

Not quite... Im very happy with have a J27 at all! 

On 04/07/2021 at 12:57, Ken 63388 said:

The photo of the J27 at Blyth looks like 65859 to me. I've pointed out earlier in this thread (page 5) that some of the shed allocation data (and therefore possibly other information) for class J27 locomotives has been entered incorrectly on the BR database website. According to 'Shed by Shed part 3 (North Eastern)' by Tony Walmsley 65859 was allocated to Blyth between 4/66 and 8/66.

I did send a message to the BR database informing them of the error(s) but I assume no corrections have been made.

Don't forget BR Database is a one man project done in his spare time. Things like updates take time.

Jason

I accept Porcy's evidence that the photo Alcanman posted cannot be 65859.

It was a while ago when I sent a message to BR Database informing of the errors with the class J27 data. In the meantime it is best to doublecheck the data against other sources.

On 04/07/2021 at 12:27, Porcy Mane said:

You have probably seen these.

https://flic.kr/p/bcb9dz

https://flic.kr/p/bbceip

https://flic.kr/p/rEMgfJ

https://flic.kr/p/dqQ6pv

A rivet free running plate.  Boot print transfers and masks are apparently available for the military modeller.  No evidence of the lifting cut out on the cab roof.

658934030_65842_1965-Edit.jpg.a34afa85b47cf81a85aacc3ef071aac9.jpg

But plenty of evidence of a moulding seam along the top of the boiler!

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if what I’ve just done to that cropped photo’ of the numberplate will be of any help. I’ve adjusted the saturation, the sharpness, contrast and exposure. It honestly seems to look like 65859. I know that’s wrong, but what a great mystery this is. Where’s Columbo? ;)

F2AED0DA-57BD-4B77-94FB-D5B1A87C81C5.jpeg.45abe441b3d5e94c01716a5f6ad0388a.jpeg

Rob.

3 hours ago, Floreat Industria said:

Possibly 65869

On 05/07/2021 at 10:17, Alcanman said:

I wonder if it could possibly be 65869

I think 65869 can be discounted due to it have scalloped frame extensions.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.phproute=product/product&product_id=93230&search=J27+65869

Edited by Porcy Mane
Put in the right word!
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's certainly a mystery. Is smokebox door swapping beyond the bounds of possibility? I used to send my 5/- postal order to York for these number plates and then take the receipt down the road to North Road Shops to choose one. Those were the days!

I wonder how the BR livery models are coming on. At least the "Ever Given" should be on its way again soon with, I believe, some Dapol models on, although it's still in the Great Bitter Lake as I write.

I'm also looking forward to Bachmann's D5094, Darlington Works' first main line diesel, but they will both come eventually. I only hope I'm still alive! 

I got sick of Hornby putting the Hush-Hush date forward so treated myself to a superb hand-built O gauge model by Nick Dunhill. I used to gaze at the large model in the erstwhile Darlington museum when I was little.

• Like 2

The replacement arrived from rails today, pin not broken, but drawbar was certainly bent, sufficiently that the front wheels would not sit on the track! this could snap a pin if bent any further, and the loco packing pressed down to lock in place. I'll straighten this one myself, I cannot be chewed with another return, not that a customer should have to put right poor components.

Paul. 

IMG_20210706_174340.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

The replacement arrived from rails today, pin not broken, but drawbar was certainly bent, sufficiently that the front wheels would not sit on the track! this could snap a pin if bent any further, and the loco packing pressed down to lock in place. I'll straighten this one myself, I cannot be chewed with another return, not that a customer should have to put right poor components.

Paul. 

IMG_20210706_174340.jpg

I got one just like that!

I wonder how many more there are as it does seem to be an assembly problem rather than an in transit one.

It takes quite a yank to bend it straight but nothing broke.

I only resorted to DIY as my supplier was unable to offer a replacement.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I got one just like that!

I wonder how many more there are as it does seem to be an assembly problem rather than an in transit one.

It takes quite a yank to bend it straight but nothing broke.

I only resorted to DIY as my supplier was unable to offer a replacement.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard. 

I'll take mine apart tonight to straighten the bar. To be honest it drives home my point I've made previous that the fastenings through the bar into each pin are far too inflexible and tight, its a lousy arrangement that's going to break for fun. 

Paul. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If there are no current pick-ups fitted to the tender, and if you don't need the facility for electronic toys and artificial chuffing sounds, then why not eliminate the problem of the coupling bar entirely? Cut the un-necessary bridging wires, join the ends in the appropriate pairs, and couple the loco and tender using a simple hook and goalpost arrangement...