Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

Just been looking at the pics of 65837 on the Rails website. The barely discernible smokebox door hinge straps looks to give the locos face a bit of a blank, vacant appearance and the lack of the tender coping plate detail still bugs me. The Type 57 boiler for that pre. 1958 look.

I'll still have a 57A boiler'd jobby when they come along though.  Maybe two?

Edited by Porcy Mane

Its a nice surprise to read the above so I had a look at the rails site to find the LNER with sound was in stock so I have ordered one. I look forward to having it arrive in the next few weeks! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Ron and Doug

For your info I've just completed my review of the J27 for Sept TCH.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I look forward to reading it. This will be my third J27, the first is in EM in NER livery and the second in OO in BR Livery. Both are from Dave Alexander kits. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AGR Model Store said:

B45BBAA6-D6EA-4DF7-BFE8-A1A592BFB80E.jpeg.5026c9b0ee76421efd8136ffcf23cb37.jpeg

Just a small point, but I see that we have the horizontal, non-radial handrail stanchions again; along with very yellow numbering.

Otherwise, to a non-BR(ER) modeller, the model appears nicely done.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Just a small point, but I see that we have the horizontal, non-radial handrail stanchions again; along with very yellow numbering.

The handrail stanchions are actually fairly close to the prototype, although they should not be quite horizontal.  This surprised me as I thought they would have been radial too.  See for example https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:South_Blyth_locomotive_depot.jpg

34 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The handrail stanchions are actually fairly close to the prototype, although they should not be quite horizontal.  This surprised me as I thought they would have been radial too.  See for example https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:South_Blyth_locomotive_depot.jpg

There is a financial / cost-saving reason for horizontal stanchions - extraction of the body from the mould is much easier.

The moulding tool is far less complex, and therefore cheaper.

CJI.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The handrail stanchions are actually fairly close to the prototype,

Ahem.

https://flic.kr/p/qXd2To

How high is the August sun?

6459010335_7b2ebcbd16_b.jpg65815 N. Blyth 6.8.66 by George Woods, on Flickr

23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

There is a financial / cost-saving reason for horizontal stanchions -

No.  Simply the mistake of following the inaccuracies of the Railway Modeller drawing as pointed out by Daddyman.

Take a look at the representation of the retaining bolts for the washout plugs. They are horizontal thus offset towards the bottom of the plug. Very un-prototypical but exactly as the RM drawing.

P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ahem.

https://flic.kr/p/qXd2To

How high is the August sun?

6459010335_7b2ebcbd16_b.jpg65815 N. Blyth 6.8.66 by George Woods, on Flickr

No.  Simply the mistake of following the inaccuracies of the Railway Modeller drawing as pointed out by Daddyman.

Take a look at the representation of the retaining bolts for the washout plugs. They are horizontal thus offset towards the bottom of the plug. Very un-prototypical but exactly as the RM drawing.

P

That may well be the source of the drawing, but the fact remains that radial stanchion holes require a much more complex moulding tool than horizontal ones.

Think about it - you can mould horizontal holes with a two-part mould; radial holes would require at least three parts.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Think about it -

I have; drawings scanned, sent to China for cad prep, sent back for approval but nobody noticed.

Maybe you'e right but with O.R. having made quite a thing about their different tooling  (including boiler) options for the various J27's  I think horizontal handrail holes would have been one design clever step too far.

After all do we see horizontal handrails on the railroad steamers by Hornby?

Tooling savings minimal. 

I'd like to see higher quality tooling to rid/minimise the slide witness marks at 2 & 10 o clock.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

After all do we see horizontal handrails on the railroad steamers by Hornby?

Well I do on my Drummond 700 class for one.

Edit: plus my J15.

Neither are Railroad models either.

Lovely runners the pair of 'em mind you.

Edit 2 .... and my S15

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Neither are Railroad models either.

One up for the kitmakers then.

One more job too sort out, for those of us that looks upon RTR loco's as kits. At less than £90.00 a pop,  including wheels, gearbox and a motor, quite a cheap J27 kit, come to think of it.

• Agree 1