Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Finally got to unpack, chip and run in my BR version today (first day the attic has been tolerably cool this week!). I think the Hornby Mag review is a little harsh. Agree the detail is a little simplified but not over so. The model is well finished and easy to chip (with a clear instruction sheet). I ran it in for an hour in each direction and then tested it on a 22 wagon train which it hauled comfortably. Silky smooth running and (with a Lenz chip) runs right down a very slow crawl - ideal for shunting. 

No problems with bent loco to tender coupling (although my model was inspected and test run by Monk Bar Model shop so no problems anticipated in any case). I noted that the accessory pack contains a spare loco-tender coupling  - don’t know if that’s in response to some of the reported problems with the earlier released LNER version. 

The gap twixt loco and tender has two possible positions as supplied - I found on the close setting the loco will negotiate Peco medium rad points without issue - I believe these are 30 inch radius.

So overall I am very pleased with the J27 - it looks the part, running is exemplary and with just a little work (paint the bare metal tyres and axle ends, weather, coal the tender, add crew and lamps it will be an excellent ‘layout loco’ to quote TW. 

And all for less than £100. Bargain :)

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 26/07/2021 at 19:10, thetalkinlens said:

Thanks, would you be able to post a closer photo of the weathering that has been applied on the wheel tyres and axle ends?

Hope this works, the lighting wasn't that good.

J27.jpg

• Like 8

I have received my J27 From Rails. fantastic service as usual, along with the postal service. As this has taken a trip half way round the world the end flap on the box should have said contains a kit of parts for a J27. All the bits were there but there was some reassembly required. the chimney, safety valves, one buffer, coupling hook to the loco and the top lamp iron all to be put back on. 

What I found when I put it on the track was the pick ups not making (as has been reported by others). However due to the long time in the postal system the tender/ Loco connection was bent. This was lifting the rear of the loco and the front of the tender off the track. The solution was to back off the screws and the loco was test run. The running is pretty good not my best loco but again not my worst.

Interestingly I have the sound version. The chip is a ESU V5. Sounds are OK currently nice range of functions. However I will try to work on the install of the speaker which is not the best. It is currently very tinny. The speaker is a sugar cube mounted in the tender. I will experiment on improving the install as generally i have found the sound can be improved from the speakers by sealing them properly to the tender. Specifically the locos and sound chips I have done this too are the TTS J36 and the 28mm speaker, Q6 Zimo with a 28mm speaker, B1 Zimo again with a 28mm speaker. I will report back once this has all been done.... 

Now the challenge is how to get the tender body off the top.... the clips don't want to let go on mine....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Doug,

I ordered mine from Rails, non-sound version. No parts loose in box or bent drawbar fortunately. Just the issue with pick ups needed attention, other than the footplate detached itself when going through small point work.  It was hanging low and caught the tender, more my fault for not observing what was going on.  Reattached with ease.  Postage is about 2 weeks, so pretty good. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, DougN said:

Now the challenge is how to get the tender body off the top.... the clips don't want to let go on mine....

Agree. I didnt get the tender top fully off. Luckily I wasnt sound fitting so could swap the blanking plate for the chip (which is 21 pin) by tipping the tender top up without having to unclip the rear. 

• Like 1

Received my BR livery one this week.  It ran on dead straight track but stopped on curves, left or right.  Only two pick ups were in contact with the wheels.  It took a fair amount of fettling to get it to run properly but once sorted it is smooth through all my trackwork and happily hauls 30 loaded coal wagons and van.  Disappointed that I had to spend the time to do what quality check (?) in the factory should have done but having got it to run well I'm reasonably happy with it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does anybody feel inclined to post photos and/or dimensions revealing the height x length x width of the space occupied within the boiler by motor, gears, weights or other bits?

Would it be even remotely feasible to think in terms of a J25 body substitution?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Does anybody feel inclined to post photos and/or dimensions revealing the height x length x width of the space occupied within the boiler by motor, gears, weights or other bits?

Would it be even remotely feasible to think in terms of a J25 body substitution?

No measurements, but there's a cutaway view in this review that seems to show that there's a fair amount of space around the mechanism:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/oxford-rail-j27-0-6-0-review-or76j27001

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber so the image in that "premium article" seems to be inaccessible to me.

Strange - neither am I.  Try a google image search for "oxford rail j27 disassembly" which is where I found the image initially.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Waterfield said:

Does Oxford have any plans to bring out a variant with the lower dome and LNER chimney as the preserved example and majority of the last survivors carried.

Range details and CAD in Andy's post from 2019 don't mention the low dome, but the later type 57A boiler is listed and has not yet been produced.

Do I get the prize?  Opened my BR J27 today and read the instruction leaflet.  Seemingly 'Oxford Rail locomotives are precision built' and again 'Oxford Rail locomotives are carefully engineered'.  Anyway how many others of you have spotted the deliberate error at the top of the instructions?  I would say that something hasn't been carefully checked.

402001915_OxfordRailJ27.jpg.2152c54a8ff905bb35852afd89b52d32.jpg

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

6 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

402001915_OxfordRailJ27.jpg.2152c54a8ff905bb35852afd89b52d32.jpgDo I get the prize.  Opened my BR J27 today and read the instruction leaflet.  Seemingly 'Oxford Rail locomotives are precision built' and again 'Oxford Rail locomotives are carefully engineered'.  Anyway how many others of you have spotted the deliberate error at the top of the instructions?  I would say that something hasn't been carefully checked.

N7 !

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Further to my post above I should add the leaflet is from my replacement model.  My first model arrived in bits, not so much as kit of parts because the brake rodding had been torn off with bits of the hangers.  There was much else wrong, chimney, smoke box dart all smashed. I have never seen bent connecting rods before.  It would appear that at some point in its travels the model had been dropped (from a great height?) but since the outer box was imaculate there isn't really any clue as to where or when the damage occured.  Well done my supplier for providing a replacement.

DSC07266.JPG.bac1ab10b1950a2a6b55c4f20f85e4f5.JPG

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Ray,

Maybe the late crest N7, which it seems has been on Pre-Order for what seems like an eternity, will come complete with the J27 instruction sheet.

QC Issues aside, how can they get basics like this so wrong?

Mark

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Probably more readily done than you might imagine!  Come to think of it, have you or I never done something similar at some point in our lives?  Just a pity when it appears indelibly in print, and there's nowhere to hide!

John S

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Range details and CAD in Andy's post from 2019 don't mention the low dome, but the later type 57A boiler is listed and has not yet been produced.

AFAIK the later boiler will be provided on the late crest version.

The batch probably has been produced but is still to arrive in the UK.

Going by published dates that looks to be the most likely situation.

I have seen no reference photo regarding the dome to be fitted.

However I do have a Nucast low dome ready for a change if a medium version is supplied.:lol:

I just hope that I get one that has all the bits attached and nothing is bent.

Bernard

• Like 3