Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

Porcy, that is a bad one. I have a Bachmann B1 Tender wheel with a similar problem as being assembled off centre! I would be interested to hear if the running is better/worse/ the same with Alan Gibson's installed! 

My Sound fitted does run nicely though I still haven't got around to adjusting the pressure of the pick ups.. they need a little less tension on them!  I need to look into changing the speaker as I find the sound is missing the lower bass sounds. 

What are other peoples thoughts on the sound fitted versions???

From the original CAD drawings (page 6 of this thread) the earliest of the four first models (lined version) was shown with no balance weights on the centre drivers, which is correct for a non-superheated loco pre-1932.  I was wondering if this was the case on the production models, or if they've used the same wheels across the full range?

Cheers

J

5 hours ago, DougN said:

Porcy, that is a bad one. I have a Bachmann B1 Tender wheel with a similar problem as being assembled off centre! I would be interested to hear if the running is better/worse/ the same with Alan Gibson's installed! 

My Sound fitted does run nicely though I still haven't got around to adjusting the pressure of the pick ups.. they need a little less tension on them!  I need to look into changing the speaker as I find the sound is missing the lower bass sounds. 

What are other peoples thoughts on the sound fitted versions???

The sound versions, like their non-sound equivalents, are a bit of a bargain. They cost not much more than a non-sound equivalent from other manufacturers. The sounds, in my opinion are good. The beats synchronise with the wheels and disappear as the loco slows, with a prominent clanking dominating. My two-year-old grandson loves the whistles (can you get a better endorsement than that?) There is a good suite of sounds and, unlike the Adams, the sounds are as described in the instructions, although the firebox light is missing. When I received the model, it did little more than wheeze and lurch briefly but I took the wheels out to adjust the pickups and the loco now works well. As has been pointed out, the tender is very light, so I added some liquid lead to the tender and covered it with coal. It’s hard to believe the model comes from the same outfit which produced the Dean Goods, which, IMHO, is horrible. I’m rather looking forward to getting a J26 now.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Steam here! said:

Just out of curiosity did these just pull coal wagons only, or did they do other types of freight?

Any goods, unfitted trains only of course, but they're famous for hauling coal in their last days.

17 hours ago, Steam here! said:

Would anyone know if there are any records, photos or films of these working on branch lines, during the NER, LNER or BR period?

Callum

Don't know of any early film, plenty in late BR days.

A few from 2 min.

And here from about 5 min.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The J26s were almost all based around Teesside.  As a youngster in short trousers I 'spotted' all of them. They were supplemented by the J27s which were based all over NE England.  Yes these engines hauled coal but Teeside did not have coal mines.  It was a centre for steel making, shipbuilding and of course 'The ICI' with chemical factories in Billingham and later Redcar.  By the 1960s a lot of coal and coke was being moved in hopper wagons rather than the smaller wood plank wagons.  All the above factories would generate 'mixed' freight. 

The biggest branchline on Teesside was the Esk Valley line to Whitby.  I woud be surprised if J26s and J27s were not used on this route.  Up until the 1960s there was branch line to Guisborough and then there was Skinningrove (another Iron and steel works) along with the coastal route to Loftus and Whitby.  There were also iron stone mines at Carlin Howe.  Q6s were also very common and would be required for the heavier trains.  Thinking further afield at lines radiating out of Darlington there were branches to Bishop Auckland and the cross country route to Stainmore with a Branch to Barnard Castle.

Lots of places to research for pictures.

Cheers Ray

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

.. one of the last workings was on the ex-NBR Wansbeck line (Morpeth–Woodburn).

Good point - I have an OK Rollem CD with a recording of 65874 at Angerton climbing to Woodburn in September 1966 with track lifting equipment.

Thanks Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

On 06/09/2021 at 19:22, Steam here! said:

Just out of curiosity did these just pull coal wagons only, or did they do other types of freight?

2029379552_(129TbS)65892Pelaw30-5-67(TrevorErmel).jpg.b5ecdd23c776aff7d12d188da4c06dfe.jpg

Here's a 1967 view of 65892 at Pelaw with what appears to be be a load of logs.

1284552792_(382a)65817LowFell18-10-65(TrevorErmel).jpg.0829ac2ab95cd243d259cd2c93e314e3.jpg

And here's the actual 65817 at Low Fell in 1965 with the type of job most of us remember

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
deleted duplicated words
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

The J26s were almost all based around Teesside.  As a youngster in short trousers I 'spotted' all of them. They were supplemented by the J27s which were based all over NE England.  Yes these engines hauled coal but Teeside did not have coal mines.  It was a centre for steel making, shipbuilding and of course 'The ICI' with chemical factories in Billingham and later Redcar.  By the 1960s a lot of coal and coke was being moved in hopper wagons rather than the smaller wood plank wagons.  All the above factories would generate 'mixed' freight. 

The biggest branchline on Teesside was the Esk Valley line to Whitby.  I woud be surprised if J26s and J27s were not used on this route.  Up until the 1960s there was branch line to Guisborough and then there was Skinningrove (another Iron and steel works) along with the coastal route to Loftus and Whitby.  There were also iron stone mines at Carlin Howe.  Q6s were also very common and would be required for the heavier trains.  Thinking further afield at lines radiating out of Darlington there were branches to Bishop Auckland and the cross country route to Stainmore with a Branch to Barnard Castle.

Cheers Ray

They certainly got to Whitby via both the Esk Valley and the Pickering line. However they were banned from the eastern end of the Teesside to Loftus/Whitby route, certainly after the Skinningrove area. I do know of at least one working from Whitby as far as Cloughton, but whether that working got as far as Scarborough I don't know. I don't think they were allowed past West Auckland on the Stainmore route either.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

I don't think they were allowed past West Auckland on the Stainmore route either.

The J26s (and J39s) were included in the locos that were allowed over the viaducts on the Stainmore line. The odd J39 worked over but I've not seen evidence of a J26.  West Auckland had a pair of J26s right up the mass withdrawal in 1962, they were regulars on the Stanhope goods into Weardale. (they also worked up to Tow Law and along to Butterknowle). It was the footplate staff at West Auckland who petitioned the NER (via their trade union) to have larger cab front spectacles fitted to these locos and some J26s and all the J27s had this feature...ironically the last J26 at West Auckland had the small round spectacles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I picked up my sound-fitted 65817 at South Notts Show from Sherwood Models on Saturday.  Neil said he had not had time to look at mine but all of the non-sound locos of this number he had opened had pickups rubbing the back of the spokes on one side.  He told me how to adjust them - I think he had been doing the ones they were selling through the shop though I may be wrong.

However when I opened the box all pickups bar one were correctly aligned, and the one that was off was only a millimetre out- I adjusted it anyway.  Sounds good on the short test track.  I'll take it to the club on Thursday night to give it a longer run.

As threatened here is a pic with my earlier 65817 perched on the tender...

20210906_133528.jpg.079fd3dcc19598ee0fee42056bd370bc.jpg

This one will be weathered and get lamps and a crew in due course.  probably not long before NO PLACE goes out again.

All the very best

les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

The "coal"  (are we allowed to say  that word any more?) as provided by Oxford Rail is removable. Should provide a bit more space for those wishing to add weight. I might have a go at taking a mould from the original and making a white metal casting.

Looks like Oxford rail PCB designers are still fitting a reset-able fuse into the track feed.

J27-OR-Meddling-031-EditSm.jpg.dae49c5d7b82eceb32a4b6beed9dc063.jpg

On running on OO track the tender had a slight wobble. Checking underneath one of the wheels on the non pick-up axle was suffering with the worst case of buckling I've ever seen. Looks like the wheel-set must have been assembled on the day the factories wheel press threw a wobbler judging by the dent in the flange. Good job I'm well stocked up with Gibsons.

J27-OR-Meddling-048-EditSm.jpg.cb8d574d8ce912eb51c19944e785b39a.jpg

Oh, you mean the teenie weenie amount left after a hard slog from colliery to Staithes, or have I got a different Oxford Rail J27 than you have? 

8 hours ago, Axlebox said:

The J26s (and J39s) were included in the locos that were allowed over the viaducts on the Stainmore line. The odd J39 worked over but I've not seen evidence of a J26.  West Auckland had a pair of J26s right up the mass withdrawal in 1962, they were regulars on the Stanhope goods into Weardale. (they also worked up to Tow Law and along to Butterknowle). It was the footplate staff at West Auckland who petitioned the NER (via their trade union) to have larger cab front spectacles fitted to these locos and some J26s and all the J27s had this feature...ironically the last J26 at West Auckland had the small round spectacles.

Was that towards the end of the Stainmore route then? They were all quite high axle load locomotives - I thought that J25s were the biggest locos allowed for a long time. (And the Q6s coming to grief in later years didn't help). Certainly Weardale saw the odd larger 0-6-0 up there. The reason for the bigger cab front spectacles on the J26/J27 is fascinating - one learns something new every day :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Was that towards the end of the Stainmore route then? They were all quite high axle load locomotives - I thought that J25s were the biggest locos allowed for a long time. (And the Q6s coming to grief in later years didn't help). Certainly Weardale saw the odd larger 0-6-0 up there. The reason for the bigger cab front spectacles on the J26/J27 is fascinating - one learns something new every day :)

Hoole says J26s were added to the list in June 1953. (The Stainmore Railway, Dalesman 1973)

3 hours ago, MarkC said:

The reason for the bigger cab front spectacles on the J26/J27 is fascinating - one learns something new every day

Aye, and it was Mr Axlebox's Grandfatha that was the ring leader.

Perversely Mr Axlelbox has on occasion, driven a loco over Stainmore making it three (or is it four?) generations to have done so.

23 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Cheers Ray

1774427637_J27onpickupgoodsgoathland.jpg.d6fbfe90af94603bd56bca9fc1c2e3ca.jpg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Ficksberglion said:

A couple of pics of the real 65817 looking rather less than "out of the box". Getting away from a signal check at Hartlepool.

49450232243_12593be0b2_c.jpg

49450956792_79523c3eb5_c.jpg

WEST Hartlepool.  The towns of Hartlepool and West Hartlepool amalgamated on 1st April 1967, about a month before 65817 was withdrawn from Sunderland shed, so it is much more likely the towns were still separate at the time of the photo.  

This is West Hartlepool station (swampy territory).   Hartlepool (the monkey hangers) had a separate station on the headland.  West Hartlepool was built on reclaimed marshland- sailing ships had to travel in ballast if they had no cargo to stop them being blown over.  If a returning collier from London the ballast was Thames clay.  When the railway first reached Hartlepool the land to the South was marshy.  When empty colliers arrived at the docks to take away the coal (newly delivered by train) Ralph Ward Jackson and other directors of the railway used to offer to take away the ballast for a fee, and tipped it into the marshes.  Once this had settled the town of West Hartlepool was built on it- hence the natives being referred to as swampies.

At the time I lived there (1973-1979) supporters of the two rugby clubs, and I suspect a lot of others besides, used the two nicknames freely.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Les, identifying locations from my three brief visits to the North East 55 years ago is not without difficulty. Certainly not the first time I have been wrong, but I always welcome corrections and a bit of local history. I was however aware of the difference between Geordies and Monkey Hangers !!

On 07/09/2021 at 20:07, Trev52A said:

2029379552_(129TbS)65892Pelaw30-5-67(TrevorErmel).jpg.b5ecdd23c776aff7d12d188da4c06dfe.jpg

Here's a 1967 view of 65892 at Pelaw with what appears to be be a load of logs.

1284552792_(382a)65817LowFell18-10-65(TrevorErmel).jpg.0829ac2ab95cd243d259cd2c93e314e3.jpg

And here's the actual 65817 at Low Fell in 1965 with the type of job most of us remember

Trevor

The lower picture of 65817 is simply superb - almost has a 3D quality to it, and captures the power and movement completely. Thank you for posting it.

• Agree 1

Belated pictures of the coal load and loco follow.

40437794_Coalload.JPG.3f366a4d6cfe6f18f0687369484e4d10.JPG

The coal has been glued over the plasticard base whereon some steel washers had been previously superglued.  Some of the coal has not adhered properly and you can just see the edge of one of the washers.  So, "before"...

Before.JPG.b09141a445ed9c3d99d18d6bf86336b5.JPG

...and "after".

After.JPG.031069f9b3fd5e68a4c34bbcec98178f.JPG

The loco has also been close coupled which you can also see below.

256542365_Stackresult.jpg.6ad9a7ee11f8b905c2ffdb6787b5c68c.jpg

1289363755_Locospur.JPG.0b5b734fb9438c09a8d91338272de12b.JPG

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 7

On 07/09/2021 at 12:51, Worsdell forever said:

Any goods, unfitted trains only of course, but they're famous for hauling coal in their last days.

Don't know of any early film, plenty in late BR days.

A few from 2 min.

And here from about 5 min.

Thanks Worsdell Forever,  that' s a great help, that's the sort of thing I was looking for.