Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

On 07/09/2021 at 20:07, Trev52A said:

2029379552_(129TbS)65892Pelaw30-5-67(TrevorErmel).jpg.b5ecdd23c776aff7d12d188da4c06dfe.jpg

Here's a 1967 view of 65892 at Pelaw with what appears to be be a load of logs.

1284552792_(382a)65817LowFell18-10-65(TrevorErmel).jpg.0829ac2ab95cd243d259cd2c93e314e3.jpg

And here's the actual 65817 at Low Fell in 1965 with the type of job most of us remember

Trevor

Thanks Trev52A, really interesting photos, I find it really bizarre though, logs being carried in mineral wagons, first time I've seen this happen.

On the plus side, I have some flexibility now, coal or log loads.

Edited by Steam here!
Spelling error.

1 minute ago, Steam here! said:

I find it really bizarre though, logs being carried in mineral wagons,

Mostly 13 ton steel opens but there is a shock open in there and a Bogie Bolster C further down the rake. Has me wondering if they were reversed into Pelaw goods yard for off loading as the CWS cabinet works is just off to the Locos RH side. Part of the works is visible in the photo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 07/09/2021 at 20:50, MarkC said:

They certainly got to Whitby via both the Esk Valley and the Pickering line. However they were banned from the eastern end of the Teesside to Loftus/Whitby route, certainly after the Skinningrove area. I do know of at least one working from Whitby as far as Cloughton, but whether that working got as far as Scarborough I don't know. I don't think they were allowed past West Auckland on the Stainmore route either.

Hi MarkC, interesting regarding the Esk Valley and Pickering, it's fantastic news they got to Whitby.

It's also good news that they used the former Scarborough to Whitby Railway and got as far as Cloughton.

I would like to have thought that they did get to Scarborough and possibly stopped at Scalby and Gallows Close good yard on the way.

From what I've heard, I think Scarborough had a round house, so it would seem wise for the J27s to carry on to Scarborough, get topped up with water and coal, get turned round and head back to Whitby.

On the plus side, it means I'll be using my J27 for branch line freight.

Edited by Steam here!
Missed out some detail.
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Steam here! said:

Hi MarkC, interesting regarding the Esk Valley and Pickering, it's fantastic news they got to Whitby.

It's also good news that they used the former Scarborough to Whitby Railway and got as far as Cloughton.

I would like to have thought that they did get to Scarborough and possibly stopped at Scalby and Gallows Close good yard on the way.

From what I've heard, I think Scarborough had a round house, so it would seem wise for the J27s to carry on to Scarborough, get topped up with water and coal, get turned round and head back to Whitby.

On the plus side, it means I'll be using my J27 for branch line freight.

I'm still looking for proof that at least one J27 did do Cloughton to Scarborough - but the working I have evidence of was a pickup, and it is very possible that it returned to Whitby. Coal wouldn't be a problem if it came off Whitby with adequate coal in the tender, and water was available at Robin Hoods Bay, so...

Normal traction for the pickup was a J25.

Scarborough did indeed have a roundhouse.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MarkC said:

I'm still looking for proof that at least one J27 did do Cloughton to Scarborough - but the working I have evidence of was a pickup, and it is very possible that it returned to Whitby. Coal wouldn't be a problem if it came off Whitby with adequate coal in the tender, and water was available at Robin Hoods Bay, so...

Normal traction for the pickup was a J25.

Scarborough did indeed have a roundhouse.

I would guess (and it is a guess) that even if there was no onward traffic by the time the train had reached Cloughton it would have gone onto Scarborough for the return working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brit70053 said:

While apparently, we natives of Durham are 'Jimmys', though where that came from I've no idea.

I'm struggling to remember my history but it think it's all to do with Chevalier de St. George ("Jimmy" to his "British" mates) and his young gun son Charlie, who was said to be a bit of a looker  (dependant on taste) and liked to have the odd skirmish with a gadgie called George.

Young pretender/old pretender, 1745 an all that.

Myself, I prefer the Scott Dobson/Mike Neville/George House view of N.E. history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2021 at 09:07, No Decorum said:

The sound versions, like their non-sound equivalents, are a bit of a bargain. They cost not much more than a non-sound equivalent from other manufacturers. The sounds, in my opinion are good. The beats synchronise with the wheels and disappear as the loco slows, with a prominent clanking dominating. My two-year-old grandson loves the whistles (can you get a better endorsement than that?) There is a good suite of sounds and, unlike the Adams, the sounds are as described in the instructions, although the firebox light is missing. When I received the model, it did little more than wheeze and lurch briefly but I took the wheels out to adjust the pickups and the loco now works well. As has been pointed out, the tender is very light, so I added some liquid lead to the tender and covered it with coal. It’s hard to believe the model comes from the same outfit which produced the Dean Goods, which, IMHO, is horrible. I’m rather looking forward to getting a J26 now.

The way I see it you are getting a Loksound V5 with a 'complimentary' loco attached! V5's retail for between £100-£120 on their own.

Still having problems with my sound fitted J27 unfortunately and now returned  for the second time to the ever helpful Monk Bar for replacement. Monk Bar having sorted the pickups,  the loco has repeated its other initial fault which was the mechanism locking solid. I believe I have been unlucky and this example is a rogue, no problems with my early crest (but non sound fitted) version.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

While apparently, we natives of Durham are 'Jimmys', though where that came from I've no idea.

I must admit, I had been led to believe that County Durham folk in general, except for locations such as the land of the Monkey Hangers :P , were collectively known as Pit Yakkers.

This thread is fascinating :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

I would guess (and it is a guess) that even if there was no onward traffic by the time the train had reached Cloughton it would have gone onto Scarborough for the return working.

One might think so - but if the crew were on 'job and finish', and absent any traffic from Scalby or Gallows Close, why do the extra mileage?

Oh for a time machine...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MarkC said:

I must admit, I had been led to believe that County Durham folk in general, except for locations such as the land of the Monkey Hangers :P , were collectively known as Pit Yakkers.

This thread is fascinating :good:

Pit Yakkers were immediately North West of Durham city. Starting at Sacriston and Langley Park and ending at Stanley. I have relatives in that area and after half a day I could talk like a native. My Maternal grandmother (Southern Irish) hated the dialect and I used to get a clip round the ear if I lapsed into it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mother used to refer to Miners'  talk as 'Pitmatic' it being almost incomprehensible to those outside  the profession. Terms such as 'Hewers', 'Putters' and 'Marras' were the most commonly known amongst the none mining members of the community in Brandon , but there were many words which remained a mystery. Possibly just as well.

Going back to the Hartlepools, when I played Rugby Union at the Junior team Levels for Durham City (Citizens), the Colts manager delighted in using what he considered the abusive nick name, but pronounced it most carefully as 'Monkey HIngers' to emphasise the derision.

This applied to any team from Hartlepool regardless of specific geographic location, Hartlepool Rovers were simply 'Rovers' (British) West Hartlepool were 'West', there was another team I'm struggling to recall, but without distinction to Ned, they were all 'Monkey Hingers'.

To round off on topic, I'll mention that My Early Crest BR J27, pre ordered with Rails Of Sheffield the day they were announced, duly arrived, complete and sweet running during the first delivery of that version.

Finding the tender to be so light as to routinely derail when running in reverse, I found ample room inside the tender body to add two strips of ballast to the inside, but did have a struggle to release the rear of the tender body from the chassis. As a consequence I managed to dislodge two of the lamp irons from the tender frame. Fortunately I did notice this happen and retrieved the parts which were surprisingly easy to refit.

Very pleased overall with the model, especially good value considering comparable products from other brands.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
clarification of sport played
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MarkC said:

:good::good:

Which is more than a lot of folk do :P

Poolies have adopted the monkey hanger thing as their own now; witness Hartlepool United’s brilliant mascot, H’Angus the Monkey, who got elected as the town’s Mayor some years ago, after pledging free bananas for all schoolchildren.

I would say that today’s Monkey Hangers have got just as much chance of seeing their club win silverware in their lifetime  as Geordies have! :D

On topic again, just received my J27 today and after several negative reviews on here I must say I find it very satisfactory. Needs muckying up though! 

Edited by D9001
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, D9001 said:

Monkey Hangers have got just as much chance of seeing their club win silverware in their lifetime  as Geordies have! :D

The Makems go to Wembley almost every year...its a tradition now...they don't often come back with anything mind.

• Funny 1

I met a lass from Consett and was introduced to her Grandparents.  Granddad said something and I didn't have a clue, after the third attempt, the lass translated.  "he says that he's heard there are a lot of jobs in London, could I take his wife and get her a job?"  They never asked that in The Likely Lads!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

17 hours ago, D9001 said:

On topic again, just received my J27 today and after several negative reviews on here I must say I find it very satisfactory. Needs muckying up though! 

Each to his or her own, of course but I neglected to mention that the black has a beautiful sheen, worthy of Bachmann. I would hate to mucky it up but then mine’s LNER, so likely to be a tad cleaner than a BR one. Assuming yours is BR!

15 hours ago, Ficksberglion said:

Hate to interupt the local banter but heres a snap of 65817, in "out of the box" condition. Well worth blackening the wheel tyres and centres though. Since been fully coaled  !

65817 bw.jpg

that is very nice . 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Each to his or her own, of course but I neglected to mention that the black has a beautiful sheen, worthy of Bachmann. I would hate to mucky it up but then mine’s LNER, so likely to be a tad cleaner than a BR one. Assuming yours is BR!

Yes, torn really, as you say it is a nice sheen but they were pretty mucky in their latter BR days.

oh dear: Just going to have to buy another, aren’t I? :D

Edited by D9001
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1