Jump to content

Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair


Andy Y
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/06/2021 at 16:46, Blandford1969 said:

If they are that bad there is a surely a simple answer, build one. There are plenty Alexander Models ones around, the Nucast one hopefully coming back and the superlative Dave Bradwell one, although that one looks like it takes a long time to build. 

I do wonder if the Nucast one will now reappear? As has been said, the Bradwell one is still going strong, and the RTR model is likely to satisfy many who might well have 'had a go' at the Nucast offering, particularly once you add on wheels, motor, gearbox etc to the cost of the kit. As for the Alexander kits, I too would like to see someone resurrect Dave's range, but I fear that I shouldn't hold my breath. Yes, you still see the odd one coming up on the likes of the Bay of E, but they do seem to be commanding increasingly high prices.

 

Mark

(Who has built 2 of the Nucast beasties, and still has one of them, the other one having been sold to a mate when it became surplus to requirements, and is still going strong)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MarkC said:

I do wonder if the Nucast one will now reappear? As has been said, the Bradwell one is still going strong, and the RTR model is likely to satisfy many who might well have 'had a go' at the Nucast offering, particularly once you add on wheels, motor, gearbox etc to the cost of the kit. As for the Alexander kits, I too would like to see someone resurrect Dave's range, but I fear that I shouldn't hold my breath. Yes, you still see the odd one coming up on the likes of the Bay of E, but they do seem to be commanding increasingly high prices.

 

Mark

(Who has built 2 of the Nucast beasties, and still has one of them, the other one having been sold to a mate when it became surplus to requirements, and is still going strong)

 

The ex-Nucast range has been a bit unlucky in terms of locos that have been taken up by rtr manufacturers since Mike Griffiths handed it over.

 

Given that they all need a bit of investment, I think it is unlikely that many will reappear.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, tractionman said:

 

Well the stuff on top of the boiler looks more appropriate, so in that respect cynicism seems to have been un-necessary. The tender axle boxes and springs still look like very shallow mouldings though, as far as I can see. I leave the question of frame profile to others.

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

The ex-Nucast range has been a bit unlucky in terms of locos that have been taken up by rtr manufacturers since Mike Griffiths handed it over.

 

Given that they all need a bit of investment, I think it is unlikely that many will reappear.

Exactly so, Joseph. The sheer variety of modern RTR has certainly impacted on kit manufacturers in recent years. More so now that even the humble small tanks and freight locos are appearing in greater numbers.

 

I was comparing a couple of RTR tank locos vs their kit equivalents a couple of weeks ago. The difference in price, even for new RTR, is getting to be considerable. If you can obtain a 2nd hand one, especially if you're going to repaint/renumber it anyway, then the gap becomes even bigger. Whilst I'll still prefer to build, as do many others here, I suspect that we're in a shrinking minority.

 

Mark

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MarkC said:

Exactly so, Joseph. The sheer variety of modern RTR has certainly impacted on kit manufacturers in recent years. More so now that even the humble small tanks and freight locos are appearing in greater numbers.

 

I was comparing a couple of RTR tank locos vs their kit equivalents a couple of weeks ago. The difference in price, even for new RTR, is getting to be considerable. If you can obtain a 2nd hand one, especially if you're going to repaint/renumber it anyway, then the gap becomes even bigger. Whilst I'll still prefer to build, as do many others here, I suspect that we're in a shrinking minority.

 

Mark

We are our own worst enemies re kits. The more people scream accuracy, etched valve gear etc., the further away from the old style Wills kit on an adapted r-t-r chassis the hobby moves. For people who can do etched valve gear etc., that is progress, the big but though is that it blocks off the kit route for those that might have previously bought into that route.
 

Ready assembled valve gear in kits plus motor etc and easy to quarter wheels like the old Romford would be a half way house.

 

Edited by john new
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tractionman said:

Well, credit to them - they've certainly sorted the boiler fittings. The photos aren't clear enough to see the cab-side windows, and it still has Porcy's horizontal handrail knobs, dodgy tender axleboxes, and poor chassis profile, wheels, etc. But it looks a lot better than it did - almost within striking distance. 

 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the Hattons pics.

 

Many years ago I built a Nu-Cast J21 and a J27 (having also referred to making one of these when talking to ?Bill? Stott at a parent's evening - I taught in Hartlepool at the time).

 

This model is vastly superior to anything I could build at that time or now.  Yes there are imperfections, but I could spend at least twice as much on a kit and bits and end up with far worse.

 

Les

 

  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I gambled on any significant issues being sorted or being fixable without too much effort and pre-ordered one from Derails.  They requested payment of the balance a few hours ago so a J27 in LNER livery should be with me soon.  :locomotive:

 

BTW  They're cheaper than Hattons: https://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j27&product_id=2219

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, teaky said:

I gambled on any significant issues being sorted or being fixable without too much effort and pre-ordered one from Derails.  They requested payment of the balance a few hours ago so a J27 in LNER livery should be with me soon.  :locomotive:

 

BTW  They're cheaper than Hattons: https://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j27&product_id=2219

Indeed, I'll probably relieve them of a BR liveried one in due course :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Could this be accurately produced in NER livery ?

 

Ray

I believe this was covered by JaymzHatstand in March 2019. Answer is yes it should be possible as tooling includes P3 (LNER d. 57) boiler and tall(er) chimney (though on many of the class the chimney height was reduced twice in LNER days according to the 'green book' vol.5). I would certainly be next to wainwright1 in the queue if it was ever released.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tramshed said:

I believe this was covered by JaymzHatstand in March 2019. Answer is yes it should be possible as tooling includes P3 (LNER d. 57) boiler and tall(er) chimney (though on many of the class the chimney height was reduced twice in LNER days according to the 'green book' vol.5). I would certainly be next to wainwright1 in the queue if it was ever released.

Thanks for that info.

Thinking about pre-grouping locos in general, would the same go for the J26 and Hornby's Q6 ?

 

I think that it has been confirmed that Hornby's 700 class could be done in LSWR livery, albeit probably unlined black.

 

Now could Bachmann's 'Super D' be done in LNWR livery. That would probably be plain black as well, like their ROD ?

Still waiting for the Coal Tank in lined LNWR livery.

 

All the best

Ray

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Thinking about pre-grouping locos in general, would the same go for the J26 and Hornby's Q6 ?

 

The Q6 has the wrong boiler for any pre-1946 (ish) locos. I backdated mine by changing the dome, but the boiler bands are in the wrong place. I can live with that, but if they were to produce it, it would need sorting. Enough of the parts are separate to make it seem that this has been thought of at the development stage, so we can but hope for a T2 or pre WWII Q6!

 

IMAG3276_1.jpg.fa72d47bce0f9afe9e1c353a2b09e6d5.jpg

IMAG3280_1.jpg.e69c75121d5be9cbb33ed4062ff8be40.jpg

 

Having seen some shop photos of the J27, Monk Bar Models, York, posted some on their Facebook page and I must say, it does look much better than some of the pre-production photos, which is good. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some detail photos and analysis on here in due course. Hopefully I'll get one myself in the fullness of time, once I've had a proper trawl through Yeadon to work out which one(s) I want detail combination wise. I'm not adverse to changing the odd bit or repainting/re-numbering for that (unlined black is quite an easy livery!)

 

Cheers

 

J

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have one of the LNER version pre ordered with Rails Of Sheffield and have they heard anything about delivery ?  I ask because my pre order for an Early BR crest version is with Rails and I'd have expected their frequent 'New Release update' emails to have at least mentioned 1010 being available / in stock, especially as Hattons and Derails are said to have models in stock or expected soon.

          I'm just hoping there's no problem with Rails and Oxford similar to that which arose with them no longer stocking new Hornby items.

            Probably getting myself needlessly concerned, but can anyone provide any reassurance please?

 

Thanks,

 

             John

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Hi. I’ve just bought LNER 1010 from the Monk Bar Model shop in York. I will try and post some photo’s of it in the evening. It runs well, and looks better than in the published photo’s but it seems somewhat light compared to the N7. I will weigh it after I get home. The DCC socket is in the tender so

there should be some space for some extra weight in the locomotive.

 

Rob.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hello, again. Well, I’ve got home, and I’ve got the model weighed. It is light at 225 grams. But it runs well, and a very quick test of 10 different wagons and vans on my layout showed nothing untoward at this stage. It runs most smoothly and controllably, and there could be a flywheel in it. I haven’t had the body off the locomotive as yet since I’m not sure how to do so. I’ll work it out when I have some free time.

The cab is excellent, with the wooden ‘slats’ on the underside of the cab roof beautifully represented which is something I have not seen before on a RTR model. There appears to be quite a bit of detail separately fitted, and all appears to be painted in the correct colours. You can see the printing on the one gauge, and the gauge glasses have the black and white diagonal stripes.

So here’s some photo’s which I took on my iPhone.


854F71E9-3ACD-4ED6-981E-B3B46AE284E1.jpeg.4f14ea42e9ee4fe8e55c3a5c8d8446f2.jpeg

 

A96927F2-A8D3-4127-8A1E-6C2A2EFD3000.jpeg.78d1e147b4cd9a4d6314fdd06d3ef17f.jpeg

 

CBA1F0C6-C389-43EE-B427-730FB64DBDCD.jpeg.2729e3f7a4a92b2b8a9f01162966e055.jpeg

 

7A2BF0D8-38BF-4A5B-B1C1-35485365DF59.jpeg.00fd251a6507e84456ea97c5189e1b30.jpeg

 

B64B45EC-CF8C-49EE-A105-E6B1D5C36491.jpeg.05970f56ff55db3991b17ee6f2ea3b69.jpeg

 

32810160-671E-42DA-83E3-17C01BB0E13F.jpeg.bcb07ae4029cbebd1dec387c834a0930.jpeg

 

Well, I hope all this is of some help, and I look forward, now, to a BR example of this model.

 

Best regards,

 

 Rob.

 

 

Funny how photos can decieve.

 

The second one makes the tender look  distinctly nose-down and wedge shaped- which is not the case as can be clearly seen from the other two views of the tender side.  I wonder how many of the model's critics have been deceived by photo angles making things look wrong which many not be.

 

I look forward to getting a 65817.

 

Les

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2021 at 15:06, Brit70053 said:

Does anyone have one of the LNER version pre ordered with Rails Of Sheffield and have they heard anything about delivery ?  I ask because my pre order for an Early BR crest version is with Rails and I'd have expected their frequent 'New Release update' emails to have at least mentioned 1010 being available / in stock, especially as Hattons and Derails are said to have models in stock or expected soon.

          I'm just hoping there's no problem with Rails and Oxford similar to that which arose with them no longer stocking new Hornby items.

            Probably getting myself needlessly concerned, but can anyone provide any reassurance please?

 

Thanks,

 

             John

 

 

I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there. Most shops I've looked at aren't showing it in stock yet. Plus I suspect Rails have their hands full sending out their new D class locos.

Don't Panic.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at allocations in Yeadon and had not realised there were so many allocated to March/Peterborough from about 1926.  They went back home after two or three years, no doubt replaced by surplus RODs bought for pennies from the Government. I wonder if they worked all the way to Temple Mills from Whitemoor on coal trains, or just in a northerly direction?

 

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...