Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

Excellent news! 

The J27 has been a much requested engine for sometime and it will fit in greatly with a number of the other releases that are being announced for an area up north rich in locomotive types, workload and abilities. Whats better is that at last someone is making a proper S&D machine!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

J27 !   :sungum:

Edit* 

OR76J27002- BR (Early) No.65837 - Even better a 50G based loco  :sungum: 

:sungum:  Indeed!   Even better OR76J27003- BR (Late) No.65817 was a 52G engine, at least in 1959.   Another visit to your fine emporium is required! (Peckett 560 is running beautifully btw).

Ralph

Lambton58

Edited by Lambton58
  • Like 1

I too think that a J21 or J25 may have been a better choice as a lighter, smaller locomotive with wider route availability.

But the number of NER and LNER locos for the NE now becoming available must lead to an increase in interest in modelling that region and so it may yet result in a J21 from one of the manufacturers.

Looking at previously released Oxfordrail kettles I was a bit dissappointed with this J27 announcment but if it is up to current Hornby standard then I'll be satisfied. If the J27 is a money spinner for Oxfordrail than I'd expect the J21 to follow on in quick succession as they have a mass of data & info on the prototype.

P

Excellent. Some inhabitants for the lovely NER shed that TMC sell.

Agree - South Blyth shed was a similar design to the TMC model and would look great, although you would need a couple of dozen J27s to convincingly model a Sunday morning scene in the 1960s!

post-7898-0-16781800-1548161661_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Even though its not something I'd consider, I hope this does as well as certain previous manufacturers small/medium 0-6-0s have done, I know some have become shelf sitters in shops and bargain bins, but others have disappeared rapidly. The J27 fills a gaping hole in the market that has been there for a very long time. There are perhaps other locos from the Northeast area that some may feel more fitting, but I think OR have hit the right nail on the head with this one; so with a bit of luck it leads to many more in the future from OR as the affordable 0-6-0 is in danger of extinction in other stables.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

………………... Oxford have gone for a 'living' subject, which will probably also help sales.

My main interest will however be the wagons.

If I start collecting all of the preserved locos I have been hauled by I think I might get my plastic frozen, not to mention a few other bits.

Nice to see the snowplough listed as an accessory, my 57xx could do with one today. 32083743166_2c4a2b34a6_c.jpg

The Tyseley snow plough (pjs,0638) by Geoff Dowling, on Flickr

• Like 3

Excellent news! 

The J27 has been a much requested engine for sometime and it will fit in greatly with a number of the other releases that are being announced for an area up north rich in locomotive types, workload and abilities. Whats better is that at last someone is making a proper S&D machine!!

...you're going to have to convert it to a J26 if you want to run it on former S&D lines...they were much more common in the old Central Division...(West Auckland had 3 right up to 1962)

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 2

Hattons have it on now - price is by current standards very reasonable with £104 for the basic model.

Jim

Hattons says 'Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel'. In my experience rarely does the estimated price match the price paid at release.

• RMweb Premium

Great news . I honestly thought Oxford Rail would wither and die as LD now is at Hornby. While it’s a modest program it shows that there’s life in the old dog yet and I’m really pleased at that . Always reasonably priced it will hopefully make the big boys look at their pricing and keep the pressure on . Oxford are a very refreshing blast of fresh air from that point of view .

Just to give a sense of perspective . The Rails /Bachman black 0-6-0 812 class will come in at £179 (£199 for the Caley blue version) while here we have a company providing a black 0-6-0 at £104 . Sure the 812 is a limited edition but sold in bulk to one customer , Rails whereas the J27 will go through Oxfords retail network . Yes there are differences in approach to market but also a massive difference in price!

The N7 is being well received . Some rave reviews on YouTube ,along the lines of how can a company produce a highly detailed smooth running loco for £89 discounted! I’m sure the J27 will be equally well received if to same standard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hattons says 'Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel'. In my experience rarely does the estimated price match the price paid at release.

I think generally it works out ok on Hornby and Oxford, because they will have declared a price to Hattons, Rails etc. The issue has always been with Bachmann where the price is tbc. Hattons have estimated these before and got it wrong, most famously on the Atlantic that has just been released

I'm just wondering if we are getting a little bit exited about "An Anouncement of an Anouncment" here. 

We have a statement from a company at the annual UK toy fair but nothing tangible to show (as far as I'm aware). Was there any cad images or engineering prototypes on show or is this another example of a manufacturer laying their scent on a model which may not see the light of day for a couple of years or more?

Did oxford rail have any details on projected release dates? Hopefully their phrase "2019 range" means released in 2019.

P

• Like 2

I think generally it works out ok on Hornby and Oxford, because they will have declared a price to Hattons, Rails etc. The issue has always been with Bachmann where the price is tbc. Hattons have estimated these before and got it wrong, most famously on the Atlantic that has just been released

Hattons only put that message up if a RRP has not been announced. Rails currently have the new models listed at a price of TBA.

Comment from Hattons on their Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hattonsmodelrailways/posts/2122336724453415?comment_id=2122341944452893&reply_comment_id=2122411861112568&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R1%22%7D

These are currently estimated prices but as soon as we receive confirmed pricing we'll be sure to reflect this on our system and notify people who have pre-orders or email notifications in place.

Edited by Paul.Uni

This could be very good news indeed if the model is right, and at the right price, all the better if (unlikely I fear) enough thought is put into the chassis design to allow it to also go straight under a J25.

A dozen superheated, piston valve (long smokebox) J27s were also allocated for a number of years before WW2, to the Southern area of the LNER, so if one or more versions of the model have the right features it will have wider appeal. A J26 (spot the differences from a short-smokebox J27 in model form if you can - and it is NOT necessarily the shape of the spectacles) also went South briefly too, so the "right" versions of the model could find lots of uses and therefore more buyers.

Perhaps the makers would care to consider what was most typical in the period, as well as what's in preservation.......

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2

They tooled up different boilers for the N7 so I suspect we'll get both types. As I said, I'm slightly disappointed by the lack of a P3, but I guess there is time for that in the future. Hopefully this model will spur on others to do more NER types. A J25 would be a good choice but I fear it'll get overlooked in favour of the J21. However, I hope GNR modellers get their turn next year as it must be said, it's an exciting time for GER, NER and even NBR modellers whilst there have been no new releases for the GN section (Single aside).

I hope GNR modellers get their turn next year as it must be said, it's an exciting time for GER, NER and even NBR modellers whilst there have been no new releases for the GN section (Single aside).

:offtopic:  Indeed. I suspect someone is already working on a J6 at this very moment. Ahem.

Back to the very welcome news of the J27, I have always thought that the bulk of these machines gives scope for a decent mechanism and enough weight for it to pull like the prototype.

• Like 2

They tooled up different boilers for the N7 so I suspect we'll get both types. As I said, I'm slightly disappointed by the lack of a P3, but I guess there is time for that in the future. Hopefully this model will spur on others to do more NER types. A J25 would be a good choice but I fear it'll get overlooked in favour of the J21. However, I hope GNR modellers get their turn next year as it must be said, it's an exciting time for GER, NER and even NBR modellers whilst there have been no new releases for the GN section (Single aside).

Problem with GN and GC areas is that they poll roughly half as strongly as some of the leading classes for GE and NER areas. Yes there's fragmentation between the various pre-grouping companies in the Eastern region, but it remains that GE and NER continue to be the dominant driving areas where demand is expressed in polls. 

Problem with GN and GC areas is that they poll roughly half as strongly as some of the leading classes for GE and NER areas. Yes there's fragmentation between the various pre-grouping companies in the Eastern region, but it remains that GE and NER continue to be the dominant driving areas where demand is expressed in polls.

The main reason is that the NER and GER have more preserved classes than the GCR and GNR do, so it makes it easier for the maunfacturers to size up some locos.

Edited by 9402 Fredrick
  • Like 1

all the better if (unlikely I fear) enough though is put into the chassis design to allow it to also go straight under a J25.

Aw cummon!! Yer winding us up. No manufacturer would consider a generic chassis in this day and age by consider going back to the Tri-ang Jinty chassis days? Would they?

I assume you are talking about a common chassis block that would be cast to accept different wheelbases and wheel diameters? Wouldn't work with the differing wheelbases of the J27/J25 using the standard 2mm, 3mm & 1/8" axle sizes in common use today.

1950's design philosophy in 2019. There would be a buyer's backlash.

I think it's a typo. I'm pretty sure they mean the 1920s scheme of "L&NER" with the number on the tender, like on the upcoming J36 from Hornby.

The nascent LNER only decided the new liveries in May 1923. By September 1923 the ampersand was dropped.

How many of any class would have gone through the shops and had that extremely short-lived version applied? For the very few that did, it would not have lasted more than about 3 years.

That means that version of the locomotive could only really be run with pre-Grouping rolling stock in a pre-Grouping context.