Jump to content

Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair


Andy Y
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 31/07/2021 at 20:53, it's-er said:

Probably more readily done than you might imagine!  Come to think of it, have you or I never done something similar at some point in our lives?  Just a pity when it appears indelibly in print, and there's nowhere to hide!

 

John S

 

As part of my examination work and ICT teaching I was required to proofread to at least 99.9% accuracy- one character error in 1500 words. But mistakes do creep in...

 

A few years ago I had the annual job of preparing the show programme for our local operatic society's shows and then sending it off as a pdf file to the printers.  At one point the prompt informed me that I'd mis-spelled her name in the current programme.  I pointed out to her that she herself had proofread it as had 5 others, then looked back over previous programmes to discover the same mistake had gone unspotted for the previous four years...

 

Said prompt had also proofread the earlier programmes.  It is very easy to fail to spot something important.

 

Les

 

Edited by Les1952
one character error found....
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Ray,

Maybe the late crest N7, which it seems has been on Pre-Order for what seems like an eternity, will come complete with the J27 instruction sheet.

QC Issues aside, how can they get basics like this so wrong?

Mark

 

 

 

Quite easy with "cut and paste".

I presume they have a standard page layout for the cover notes for all locomotives and simply did not change the details.

As so many parts in a CAD system come from a list of standard items I am surprised that more errors do not finish up incorporated into models.

Bernard

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Les1952 said:

It is very easy to fail to spot something important.

It is indeed. But once it has been pointed out, you won't fail to notice it every time you look at the "offending" item.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

It is indeed. But once it has been pointed out, you won't fail to notice it every time you look at the "offending" item.

 

 A bit like the rivets* on the J27 running plate then.  :smile_mini:

 

*Add your own particular gripe if you prefer.  (Mines the over-scale coal rails/raves but under-scale springs and hangers on the two rail tender).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The postie delivered my J27 "65837" this morning all in one piece it seems.  The only damage I have spotted thus far is that the front lamp brackets have a decided lean to the rear, easily straightened I hope (fingers crossed).  I have just placed the loco on my layout and it runs beautifully smoothly and quietly through my live frog points under DC power (old school, me :rolleyes:) without any running in.  I attach some pics below of a J27 in its natural environment i.e. the colliery on my layout.

 

IMG_20210813_142303.jpg.7b4a491f7113e65ee6363af361e67a4e.jpg

 

IMG_20210813_142530.jpg.62d5356bebbe8af07b0cb0d0b720dec3.jpg

 

IMG_20210813_142705.jpg.b8f039f21a6580ddbaa628709462b91b.jpg

 

IMG_20210813_142915.jpg.cd7636bd4c3e21ffec63ef977124e25b.jpg

 

IMG_20210813_143550.jpg.411cb4137833c404258f4382baba8582.jpg

 

IMG_20210813_143124.jpg.4315e002ddb09be4a4e4ae55d4ef8bfd.jpg

 

The layout is loco-less at the moment because we have been away at the layout is housed in my shed.  I'll put a video up when I've repopulated the layout in a few days.

 

Regards,

Brian.

 

IMG_20210813_143550crop.jpg

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That’s excellent news, and means we will now have the later boiler modelled. I will be getting one so that I can renumber it as one of those which worked the York to Market Weighton pick up goods trains.

 

Rob.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/08/2021 at 03:34, Market65 said:

That’s excellent news, and means we will now have the later boiler modelled. I will be getting one so that I can renumber it as one of those which worked the York to Market Weighton pick up goods trains.

 

Rob.

I am not so sure about this late-crest model having a different boiler. Looking at the illustrations on the Oxford site the only difference to me appears to be the position of the whistle, moved from cab roof to firebox top. This picture of 65817 in Rail Online 

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p840639440 

has note that this loco. was unique in 1965 as still carrying the original boiler with tall dome.

Perhaps someone whose knowledge about this class can explain further?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 45568 said:

I am not so sure about this late-crest model having a different boiler. Looking at the illustrations on the Oxford site the only difference to me appears to be the position of the whistle, moved from cab roof to firebox top. This picture of 65817 in Rail Online 

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p840639440 

has note that this loco. was unique in 1965 as still carrying the original boiler with tall dome.

Perhaps someone whose knowledge about this class can explain further?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

AFAIK the original boiler became extinct in Feb 1963 when it was removed from 65796.

The original Oxford EP pictures show the late crest model with the later boiler.

What is not clear is the height of the dome as again AFAIK no photographs of the actual final model have been released. 65817 was fitted with the new boiler between 7/46 and 9/52 and again in 1/60 according to The Green Book.

The danger of captions.

Bernard

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 45568 said:

I am not so sure about this late-crest model having a different boiler. Looking at the illustrations on the Oxford site the only difference to me appears to be the position of the whistle, moved from cab roof to firebox top. This picture of 65817 in Rail Online 

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p840639440 

has note that this loco. was unique in 1965 as still carrying the original boiler with tall dome.

Perhaps someone whose knowledge about this class can explain further?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

 

I don't think you can judge the prototypical configuration of an Oxford Rail model until you have it in your hand.  They certainly don't bother to mention which variation is represented in their product descriptions and the illustrations are not consistent with what is delivered. See for example the photos of 65837 posted by @Brian D above and compare with the picture of supposedly the same model on Oxford's website here.  The boilers are clearly different - look carefully at the positions of the boiler bands, dome and handrail pillars.  I think the website illustrates the later type 57A boiler whereas the actual model carries the early type 57.

  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

65817 was fitted with a late boiler and medium dome at withdrawal. Possibly the reason why OR chose that prototype?

 

When they start getting delivered it will be interesting to see if the boiler bands of the late boiler  (if thats what OR have fitted) line up with the boiler bands that are integral to the chassis.

 

On the pre. production photos they didn't. I wonder if OR has tooled up two different chassis blocks for the production run. My moneys on ...

 

Edited by Porcy Mane
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to wait a bit longer before committing to becoming an owner, but simply couldn't resist, and when seeing a railway society were selling some to raise funds, I decided they could have my money.

 

It's only had a few hours of running, but I thought I'd feed back on the things I'd immediately noticed:

 

1. The tender is very light. So much so that the four wheels with pickups can sometimes drag. Rather than adjust the pickups to contact as some have found necessary, for now I've eased them off a bit to help it. A weight and/or real coal in the pretty much empty tender should solve this I would have thought.

 

2. The front tension lock coupling was loose on arrival and wouldn't seem to push vertically home and stay in place. I seem to have got it to stay in place with a bit of persuasion and not had any problems in use so far, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

 

3. I did tweak the pickups on two of the driving wheels, as many have seemed to need to.

 

Overall impression, as I felt before receiving it, for the price it's an absolute bargain. North Eastern Railway black with red lining version please Oxford :D

240673448_237985754758116_6491677872037406194_n.jpg

240783291_586585939137357_1226163877622764459_n.jpg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thetalkinlens said:

I was going to wait a bit longer before committing to becoming an owner, but simply couldn't resist, and when seeing a railway society were selling some to raise funds, I decided they could have my money.

 

It's only had a few hours of running, but I thought I'd feed back on the things I'd immediately noticed:

 

1. The tender is very light. So much so that the four wheels with pickups can sometimes drag. Rather than adjust the pickups to contact as some have found necessary, for now I've eased them off a bit to help it. A weight and/or real coal in the pretty much empty tender should solve this I would have thought.

 

2. The front tension lock coupling was loose on arrival and wouldn't seem to push vertically home and stay in place. I seem to have got it to stay in place with a bit of persuasion and not had any problems in use so far, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

 

3. I did tweak the pickups on two of the driving wheels, as many have seemed to need to.

 

Overall impression, as I felt before receiving it, for the price it's an absolute bargain. North Eastern Railway black with red lining version please Oxford :D

240673448_237985754758116_6491677872037406194_n.jpg

240783291_586585939137357_1226163877622764459_n.jpg

Mine didn’t work at all until I detached the wheels and tweaked the pickups. After I did that, it ran very well. Nice sound but no firebox light as claimed in the instructions. I’d agree that the tender is light. I poured in some liquid lead and topped it off with coal. I removed the front coupling but had a problem with the cosmetic one. All three links are closed (I wish other manufacturers would provide closed links) and so is the hole in the shank of the coupling. However, the hook is soft and pliable. I cut through to the hole in the shank, bent the hook to open the cut, dropped the end link in and the hook sprang back to hold it in place. It’s a lovely little workhorse and very much a bargain. NER version? Good idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 31/07/2021 at 18:23, Ficksberglion said:

Does Oxford have any plans to bring out a variant with the lower dome and LNER chimney as the preserved example and majority of the last survivors carried.1119538896_65894Seaton.jpg.984f00e9f795732db113886550d89448.jpg

 

About 3/4 of the way down this page, the decorated sample of the one with the late BR crest looks to have the lower dome and whistle moved off the cab roof, so I would think the answer is yes.
https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/warley-show-2019-pictorial-oo-gauge

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, thetalkinlens said:

 

About 3/4 of the way down this page, the decorated sample of the one with the late BR crest looks to have the lower dome and whistle moved off the cab roof, so I would think the answer is yes.
https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/warley-show-2019-pictorial-oo-gauge

With Oxford you never know what you are going to get until it arrives.

Even if it is like you say the dome still looks too high to me and they have never mentioned that they are doing the tooling for the preserved one.

Bernard

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

With Oxford you never know what you are going to get until it arrives.

Even if it is like you say the dome still looks too high to me and they have never mentioned that they are doing the tooling for the preserved one.

Bernard

Same issue with Hornby and the K1; yet a clear market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 26/08/2021 at 21:02, thetalkinlens said:

I was going to wait a bit longer before committing to becoming an owner, but simply couldn't resist, and when seeing a railway society were selling some to raise funds, I decided they could have my money.

 

It's only had a few hours of running, but I thought I'd feed back on the things I'd immediately noticed:

 

1. The tender is very light. So much so that the four wheels with pickups can sometimes drag. Rather than adjust the pickups to contact as some have found necessary, for now I've eased them off a bit to help it. A weight and/or real coal in the pretty much empty tender should solve this I would have thought.

 

2. The front tension lock coupling was loose on arrival and wouldn't seem to push vertically home and stay in place. I seem to have got it to stay in place with a bit of persuasion and not had any problems in use so far, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

 

3. I did tweak the pickups on two of the driving wheels, as many have seemed to need to.

 

Overall impression, as I felt before receiving it, for the price it's an absolute bargain. North Eastern Railway black with red lining version please Oxford :D

240673448_237985754758116_6491677872037406194_n.jpg

240783291_586585939137357_1226163877622764459_n.jpg

 

Your photo's have made me want one! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2021 at 07:28, Bernard Lamb said:

With Oxford you never know what you are going to get until it arrives.

Even if it is like you say the dome still looks too high to me and they have never mentioned that they are doing the tooling for the preserved one.

Bernard

Photo’s of the latest BR late crest version next to the previous early crest version on Monk Bar Model Shop (York) Facebook page - it definitely has a lower dome and the washout plugs are in a different location. Can’t tell if the chimney is different, looks very similar 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Photo’s of the latest BR late crest version next to the previous early crest version on Monk Bar Model Shop (York) Facebook page - it definitely has a lower dome and the washout plugs are in a different location. Can’t tell if the chimney is different, looks very similar 

Thanks.

That looks like the medium dome. and the later boiler.

Is the sample another one with the dodgy coupling rods or is it my screen?

As I said before I will need to change the dome to give me 19 rather than 17.

Bernard 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

.

Is the sample another one with the dodgy coupling rods or is it my screen?

 

Bernard 

Looks  like a trick of the lens and flash in combination to me - assuming we are talking about the side shot that features 65817 the rods look straight from other angles. Monk Bar check models before dispatch in any case :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Looks  like a trick of the lens and flash in combination to me - assuming we are talking about the side shot that features 65817 the rods look straight from other angles. Monk Bar check models before dispatch in any case :)

Thanks.

One just ordered.

Bernard

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Novice question regarding the preserved J27 (65894) - did it ever carry the L&NER Red Lining livery in its working career, as per the Oxford Rail model? I gather some of the boiler detail would not be accurate (it is Oxford Rail), but I'm more generally concerned about the livery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Hi all,

 

Novice question regarding the preserved J27 (65894) - did it ever carry the L&NER Red Lining livery in its working career, as per the Oxford Rail model? I gather some of the boiler detail would not be accurate (it is Oxford Rail), but I'm more generally concerned about the livery. 

 

Number 2392 (it became 5894 in 1946, and 65894 under BR) was outshopped in September 1923 so would probably have carried the red lining, though I'm not sure about the ampersand in the company initials. It was also built as a superheated loco with the longer smokebox, but it has carried lined red in preservation (mainly with NER lettering and number plates)

 

Hope this is of some help.

 

Cheers

 

J

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...