Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

I promised a video and here it is.

I hope the video shows that the loco runs very well despite issues with the tender - as others have commented it is far too light and the front pair of wheels tend to skate over the track in places.  I intend to close couple the tender so I'll sort out the those issues at the same time.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

About two weeks ago I received an email from Oxford to say that the J27 in L&NER Livery with DCC & Sound was now in stock.  I had placed an order some time ago with a retailer and expected that within two weeks Oxford would have been able to move stock from their warehouse to the major retailers.  A quick search on line shows that nobody ( apart from Oxford) has it yet.

Has anybody received theirs?

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Had a call today from Monk Bar Model Shop in York to say they’d had a delivery & that my L&NER livery version was there waiting for me.

29 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Has anybody received theirs?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bishdurham said:

A quick search on line shows that nobody ( apart from Oxford) has it yet.

It's probably worthwhile ringing your local retailers as it I Imagine it will take them time to add new stock to their website. Priority may be to send out pre-orders.

I had a phone call from my local retailer (Durham Trains) first thing Tuesday morning telling me his stock had arrived.

With decent weather and a favourable wind, I'll collect one tomorrow.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Remove gobbeldegook.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having spotted here that Monk Bar Models had the BR late livery version in stock I ordered one yesterday and it arrived this morning. Runs very nicely indeed. Here it is, looking far too clean, on the layout.

1404732291_yk226.jpg.90ae777d229ccff5cbeaea65ea48f4d0.jpg

Edited by Neil
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Just bought the BR late crest example from Monk Bar Models. It is the second one to be tested since the first one had a slight knocking sound coming from the front drivers on being tested in the shop. 
I’m very pleased with the model, and hope to post some photo’s of it later on tomorrow - it’s now much too dull for photography.

Rob.

Got mine home earlier this evening. OR must have tooled up for two chassis castings as the boiler bands line up. Wasn't expecting that but I would have liked the pick ups to align with the wheels along the same lines.

J27-OR-Meddling-012-EditSm.jpg.6f7bdb9274fd1a6eb373a375b0b2ce62.jpg

I've since given it a good looking at.

J27-OR-Meddling-027-EditSm.jpg.839bd80f68002fb4fca012321d1387f7.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived from Derails today. Initially, it ran indifferently , as one of the rear sandpipes was bent down, and catching on some sleepers and pointwork. A quick tweak with tweezers and all was well. Yes, the tender is very light, but has caused no problems on 18 mineral wagons and a brake van. The BR crest isn't quite as sharp as some I've seen, but won't be noticed if I weather it.

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Got mine home earlier this evening. OR must have tooled up for two chassis castings as the boiler bands line up. Wasn't expecting that but I would have liked the pick ups to align with the wheels along the same lines.

Mine has pick up problems too - disappointing as my first early crest version was perfect straight from the box. Also have a coupling rod nut missing - no sign of it in the packaging. Not sure what thread OR are using so rather than potentially damage the wheel using an incorrect thread mine is going back for repair or replacement. Shame really, I was looking forward to running it in whilst working from home :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Bradwell dome?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Bradwell dome?

Bu99er!  That's lost me a bet. I said to a mate no one would notice my attempt at subterfuge.

It's a from a Bachmann J39 which in turn is fitted with a dome from Bradders.  Which reminds me, I need to order some more. I've had a list of required Bradwell components sitting around on mt desk for weeks now.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Floreat Industria said:

My 65817 with late crest is on its way from Derails today.

2 shown in stock as I write

There was a pile of them on the counter there when I visited yesterday….

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

it doesn't quite fit

Neither did the prototype...    in a lot of cases.  :smile_mini2:

65892-W-HartlepoolSta_CovhopsE.jpg.108ea2f504aefc510b0bc8109e5ab9f7.jpg

The Oxford Rail Smokebox door lacks relief for the later periods but has a good knob. Hallelujah for Mr Bradwell.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

24 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I hadn't noticed their ads bragging about the size of their knob!

Cos it's a little dinky thing but perfectly formed. I've never heard anybody boast about small knobs but I'm prepared to be educated. Would have been better if OR had fitted its twin down below on the valve access.

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Cos it's a little dinky thing but perfectly formed. I've never heard anybody boast about small knobs but I'm prepared to be educated. Would have been better if OR had fitted its twin down below on the valve access.

Ohhh sounds painful !!:boast:

3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Not sure what thread OR are using so rather than potentially damage the wheel using an incorrect thread mine is going back for repair or replacement.

I've just tried an M1.2 in mine. Perfect fit.

I was expecting it to be M1.0

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2021 at 18:32, Brian D said:

I hope the video shows that the loco runs very well despite issues with the tender - as others have commented it is far too light and the front pair of wheels tend to skate over the track in places.  I intend to close couple the tender so I'll sort out the those issues at the same time.

Regards,

Brian.

Well, what a faff that was!  The screw holding the tender/loco link seemed to be seized in the plastic spigot on the underside of the tender "footplate". Lacking any suitable  WD40 type stuff I was forced to use a bit too much torque on the screw driver which unfortunately sheared off said spigot at the root.  After screwing and unscrewing the screw into the spigot many times until I was satisfied the screw would not get seized again, the spigot was duly super glued back in place and left to dry overnight.  Today it has all been reconnected in the close coupled mode but I also took the opportunity to bend the link downward slightly which has solved the tender wheel skating issue.  I am working on a removable coal load incorporating some steel washers to add additional weight.  I'll post pics in due course.

Regards

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I picked up my NER P3/J27 on Saturday and just can’t believe the value for money.

Straight out of the box, it ran smoothly and quietly, now ran in both directions,  what a lovely loco.

Now fitted with no: 20 Kadees at both ends, the loco won’t take anything smaller due to the hook coming out so far.

I went for the LNER red lined version no: 1214.

I really wanted a pre-grouping liveried version, this will do though.

Here it is seen pulling a goods train, the equivalent of 194Tons (including a 20Ton brake van).

Just out of curiosity did these just pull coal wagons only, or did they do other types of freight?

Would anyone know if there are any records, photos or films of these working on branch lines, during the NER, LNER or BR period?

Callum

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 05/09/2021 at 19:04, Brian D said:

I am working on a removable coal load incorporating some steel washers to add additional weight.  I'll post pics in due course.

The "coal"  (are we allowed to say  that word any more?) as provided by Oxford Rail is removable. Should provide a bit more space for those wishing to add weight. I might have a go at taking a mould from the original and making a white metal casting.

Looks like Oxford rail PCB designers are still fitting a reset-able fuse into the track feed.

J27-OR-Meddling-031-EditSm.jpg.dae49c5d7b82eceb32a4b6beed9dc063.jpg

On running on OO track the tender had a slight wobble. Checking underneath one of the wheels on the non pick-up axle was suffering with the worst case of buckling I've ever seen. Looks like the wheel-set must have been assembled on the day the factories wheel press threw a wobbler judging by the dent in the flange. Good job I'm well stocked up with Gibsons.

J27-OR-Meddling-048-EditSm.jpg.cb8d574d8ce912eb51c19944e785b39a.jpg

• Like 2