Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

1 hour ago, RichardClayton said:

I have had some bad experiences with pickups, usually during conversion to EM ......

Had no problems adjusting the J27 pickups to EM, but agree you should take care doing any adjustment of them.

So the usually impeccable Royal Mail / USPS left this package on my porch this afternoon.  Uh-Oh I told my wife, this package has the J27 that's been showing up broken...

But all is well, one tender wheel contact wasn't touching, and a loco wheel contact was dangerously close to the wheel spokes.  I easily sorted the loco contact, I'll fix the tender contact later.  Smooth and steady in both directions on the rolling road.  Also no "bucking" on the rolling road, which is something I can't say for Bachy kettles.  Fit for purpose, IMO.

Those are my dusty fingerprints on the boiler, the finish was perfect...

20210920_174750-01.jpeg

20210920_182101-01.jpeg

Edited by TheEngineShed
Fingerprints
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Got my replacement sound fitted late crest back from Monk Bar today. Thoroughly tested by Mike and Martin before dispatch and with extra packing added to ensure it reached me intact.

This one is a superb runner, with the sound off it is literally just the sound of wheels on rail that you can hear, the motor and the mechanism are silent.

Ignoring the quality of the speaker for a minute the actual sound project is very good - well synched with the wheels and responsive to the controller in terms of cut off and braking effect. Not sure if the recording is from the sole surviving J27 but it certainly sounds believable.

The sound quality is reasonable to my ears though could have more depth - rather than change the speaker I might investigate sealing around the back of it with blue tack to see if that enhances it at all.

And a round of applause for Monk Bar - the measure of a shop is how they deal with problems and I have to say they have been superb to deal with , I recommend them without hesitation :)

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Mike, the speaker is well sealed into the bottom water tank of the tender. It is one of the ESU style flat speakers about 12mm x 14mm. The underslung water tank is the sound chamber. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2021 at 22:45, MikeParkin65 said:

My dealer (to whom I have returned my late crest sound fitted version twice - I now await a replacement ) said this batch seems to have more problems than the first batch especially in terms of poor running. He also said he had returned a number of the second batch direct to Oxford Rail as they had obviously damaged rods on receipt - he never offered these for sale. 

Is there a problem with delivery of the J27 late with sound. I see all of these deliveries on the thread but no sign from my own dealer - still saying 'on order with supplier'.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Is there a problem with delivery of the J27 late with sound. I see all of these deliveries on the thread but no sign from my own dealer - still saying 'on order with supplier'.

I have no specific knowledge but it was a popular model and I wonder if the first batch has sold out quickly and not all have been delivered? My dealer seemed to have two deliveries - my duff example being from their first stock and the good replacement being reserved from a second delivery. For info I remain very happy with mine but it will definitely benefit from a speaker upgrade at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a DC example as a birthday present the other day; it is the first new loco I've had since the mid nineties and I was gobsmacked at how far things have moved on. It is so detailed I'm nervous to touch it and it runs far quieter than anything else I have.

I can see that a couple of the tender pickups would benefit from adjustment but it runs fine anyway so I'm not worried about that right now. The only other issue I had was from the little pipes (I assume) by the wheels that point down towards the track; they were catching on the track when going over points, so I've trimmed a mm or so off their length and they're fine now. I'm not really sure how - whether they were bent, or whether my older points are too coarse somehow (I'm not sure how, nothing sticks up above rail height) - but they're fine now so I'm happy.

Edited by Phil Himsworth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Phil Himsworth said:

I got a DC example as a birthday present the other day; it is the first new loco I've had since the mid nineties and I was gobsmacked at how far things have moved on. It is so detailed I'm nervous to touch it and it runs far quieter than anything else I have.

I can see that a couple of the tender pickups would benefit from adjustment but it runs fine anyway so I'm not worried about that right now. The only other issue I had was from the little pipes (I assume) by the wheels that point down towards the track; they were catching on the track when going over points, so I've trimmed a mm or so off their length and they're fine now. I'm not really sure how - whether they were bent, or whether my older points are too coarse somehow (I'm not sure how, nothing sticks up above rail height) - but they're fine now so I'm happy.

Most likely sand pipes which could be trimmed or have extra bend in them to clear the track. It is another one of those checks always to be made before running.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Himsworth said:

I should have mentioned that - yes my second one does this, the rear sandpipes snag at some points on my 'not quite Brunel standard permanent way'! Need a quick bend or as you have done a snip :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

.... the rear sandpipes snag at some points ......

Yes me too - My L/C came to quite an abrupt stop and even jumped off the track.  My first inclination was to shorten the bits of wire (sand pipes).  They are actually very clever because they are bent in two different planes and just need to be moved a tincy bit sideways and the problem is sorted.

Cheers Ray

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...