Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed, please, to photos of the J27 engineering samples. They are to be shown at the Swansea Model Railway show this weekend 21-22 September, so if any of us are there, please take some photos and post them here!

John Storey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

there were signs say no photos

Whhhaaaaaaaat!

I thought those days were over in the model railway world.   (Did they ever begin?)

Maybe they think they're a big cheese within the bigger picture of things?

no-photos-just-buy-the-cheese.jpg.6e5260ec7027cd9d97f7ae7d6172bd6d.jpg

Surely they can't be worried about a couple of pictures appearing around the forums that might lead to a little constructive criticism? Maybe they just didn't like some un-decorated samples appearing that may be a little rough around the edges. (Or were they painted?).

NoPhotos.jpg.3e49a5cd63b51d733710e25c9c668456.jpg

P

• Funny 4

I asked about official photos on their Facebook announcement of them being present at the show, and this is the response I got :

'As this is the first engineering samples there will be no photographs. The next sample will have the few corrections fixed.'

So it looks as though thems who couldn't make it don't get to see how what we might want to purchase is coming along. 

Never mind!

Cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

To be fair considering the usual response on here to the slightest anomaly on an early test shot I can understand where Oxford are coming from. 

You need broad shoulders to be in business.

Surely if anybody from Oxford took offence to any criticisms they have the right to publicly respond. I'm sure they are more than capable of filtering out unjustified criticism's from the more helpful constructive comments.

Trial by internet is a 21st century phenomenon that can be used to the advantage of of both manufacturer and consumer.

As an end user I'd far rather the end product be correct rather than have  a few silly mistakes included that could easily have been avoided but for the sake of publishing a few progress photographs.

As I said above I admire Oxford rails confidence.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Putting photos for a sea of experts (good or otherwise) is a great way of finding out issues with engineering samples. Once you've filtered out the "fake news" ones you can then instruct the factory, thank contributors and get good vibes for listening to their customers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

20 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I asked about official photos on their Facebook announcement of them being present at the show, and this is the response I got :

'As this is the first engineering samples there will be no photographs. The next sample will have the few corrections fixed.'

So it looks as though thems who couldn't make it don't get to see how what we might want to purchase is coming along. 

Never mind!

Cheers

J

It does surprise me that they aren't casting the (constructive) critique to a wider net than a single show. Granted, they've established (by themselves it appears) that some changes are needed, but I do wholeheartedly feel that giving the vast wealth of knowledge available in the community a chance to offer feedback on the 1st stage EP is a worthwhile gain against the inevitable media traffic that also comes with it. Yes not everything can be tooled, but Oxford know that, and can filter out the background noise of those points as such, getting to the nitty gritty of getting the detail right on a class which did have quite a lot of detail variances. They may well get it spot on (on their own), but history does generally show that the wider the net, the more info is available. The internet (and its users) is a powerful (free) tool if one is willing to filter the noise out. 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

...The internet (and its users) is a powerful (free) tool if one is willing to filter the noise out.

Yes, it's the end of that sentence that's the rub. In the 'days before internet' it was expensive to obtain authentic end user feedback. And then the net became generally available, and what began as a trickle swiftly became a torrent. Of course for 99%+, the answer was RTFM, with a reference to the appropriate entries (and for the especially weak of thinking, AA!WYPRTFM).

Still it was something to do on the laptop during another long flight, selecting appropriate replies and writing occasional new ones, to all the downloaded inputs worthy of a response. And every now and again, an informational jewel turned up. It was worth sifting through the dross for this. Whether OR have the resource to share out all our wailings and rantings among their people and sift out the good information would be the question. They don't have the resources of a global scale multinational with a legion of lounge lizards to hand...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, D1051 said:

A partial glimpse

... and gone forever.

Those little teases have that hidden well away.

Nice knobs.

NiceKnobsJ27Sm.jpg.7676e3c8f2dd625690bb594a8f4a1161.jpg

and by way of a comparison.

J27-2016-Rebuild-003-EditSm.jpg.93dcc2ac9671b7f224f5e891d80d53a1.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks fairly good but obviously we need to see more.

Even though I am an LSWR/SR modeller I may still buy one. Remember seeing so many of them and Q6/7's on my visits to NER sheds in the mid 1960s. They were such powerful and seemingly reliable loco's.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS As a Founder Member of the P2 (that's the 2-8-2!) project I should pay another visit to Darlington. Good to know that some great engineering skills are still being practised in the birthplace of the railway.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Plenty photographs here.

Ha! Burb. Ye little tinker.

Reminds me of those old school photies; those where parents got their yung uns dressed up to the nines and those parents couldn't care a less.

Summink like this.  (Nice T short btw).

446014002_MiddlestoneMoorJuniorSchoolJune1967.jpg.db6b1775b09c096aa179780e27f67ede.jpg

P (taking the p).

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Reminds me of those old school photies; those where parents got their yung uns dressed up to the nines and those parents couldn't care a less.

446014002_MiddlestoneMoorJuniorSchoolJune1967.jpg.db6b1775b09c096aa179780e27f67ede.jpg

P (taking the p).

There would have been real J27s kicking about when young Bobby Bage was lining up at Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed.

Happy days.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

There would have been real J27s kicking about when young Bobby Bage was lining up at Middlestone Moor Junior Mixed.

Happy days.

Ahhhhh, for the days of Bri-Nylon shirts and blue asbestos school buildings.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

P (taking the p).

Part of me is reminiscening my 60's and 70's education. Corporation Road Nursery, and Harrowgate Hill Infants & Juniors. The other part of me (aged 55 & 1/3 rd)  is risk assessing and writing the report and ordering the safety barriers.

Mike

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, durham light infantry said:

The other part of me (aged 55 & 1/3 rd)  is risk assessing and writing the report and ordering the safety barriers.

Stick with the junior school playground mentality. You'll be happier but a little more bruised.

PlaygroundIII.jpg.10cb03166c8a7dbf4c0c55721e359df7.jpg

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1