Hibberd 11t Planet 4wDM scratchbuild

Gareth001

• RMweb Gold

Having resigned myself to progress on my own layout becoming ponderously slow due to orders for kits (particularly the warehouses) and a couple of commissions, I've decided to have a go at a kit for a loco, and I'm going to make a scratchbuilt prototype first.

Because I'm in uncharted territory here, I thought that the simplest possible prototype would be a good idea, and the Hibberd 11t Planet has plenty of character without too many challenging details. Also, although Nonneminstre have made a 4mm kit for ages, I don't think anything's available in 7mm scale.

I think I've got most of the dimensions, but if anyone can help with any drawings, I'd be most grateful. I know others have requested this before on these forums, and there doesn't seem to be much available, so I'm not that optimistic. Fortunately, my production methods allow for changes along the way!

Here are my preliminary sketches, together with a wagon which shows the diminutive size of this little loco.

post-17777-0-29613500-1548151759_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-39627300-1548151780_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't really happy with the accuracy of the chassis block, so I invested in a 2 way machine vice and a milling cutter to use with my little drill press. even though the vice couldn't be described as a precision tool, and I had to mount it on a piece of wood (!) bolted to the base of the drill press (I know this will have many readers recoiling in horror....I can only apologise), the results are a huge step forward from a cross cut saw and a drill. And it was only £18!

post-17777-0-89428600-1548522234_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

So here's the chassis block version 2.0, complete with Slater's plunger pickups. It's tiny, but it does span the frog on an A5 point, and mine will be radio controlled anyway, only using the pickups for charging. Now awaiting the delivery of a Romford gearset to complete the chassis.

post-17777-0-71781900-1548522544_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-82299300-1548522598_thumb.jpg

post-17777-0-91724100-1548522633_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Some years ago I started designing a 3D-print body for this, but I had to give it up. As far as I am aware there are no examples of this loco in Australia.

If I can get my hands on a good drawing, I think the body will be a fairly simple build in 1mm styrene sheet.