Damo A from a Python

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

:scratchhead:  LIGHTBULB MOMENT

Has any-one converted a Parkside Python into an Damo A covered car carrier ? I dropped a python and damaged the sides & roof 

the roof was repairable the sides less so what about new hand made sides and the nearest wagon to match the huge domed roof

was an Asmo A now all I need is an Evergreen Plasticard planked sheets and a few bits of door furniture etc. and a change of colour brown

to grey HMRS transfer sheet and jobs a goodun. :senile:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Good luck sounds like a very nice project.

It should be a quick and simple conversion the with only the sides to fit and paint and a few extra bits of detail lamp irons, vac' cylinder and operating rods.

fingers cross it might been one of my better one's.

• RMweb Premium

Have a look on Castle's excellent "Little Didcot" thread  I'm sure he made an ASMO out of something from Parkside   -  Even if it wasn't parkside its and excellent "How To" by a great modeller.

I made one having been inspired by that post - I'm very pleased with it.  Like you say, planked Evergreen sheet, some strip to make hinges etc and HMRS decals...........

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Have a look on Castle's excellent "Little Didcot" thread  I'm sure he made an ASMO out of something from Parkside   -  Even if it wasn't parkside its and excellent "How To" by a great modeller.

I made one having been inspired by that post - I'm very pleased with it.  Like you say, planked Evergreen sheet, some strip to make hinges etc and HMRS decals...........

I haven't noticed Drews Asmo post I know he building all the wagons at Didcot, I had this one down as an Asmo conversion and could only find drawing for one with a 22' w.b.

the Python is 19' w.b. like the Damo "A" so went with the safest option, I will have a look at his thread again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Yep - I dun an ASMO!

I used some pre scribed styrene sheet sides, a smattering of various strips to do the doors and frame. I think that the rest of it was pure PYTHON. I did have to ask the then proprietors of Parkside to send me an extra roof as the ASMO is a bit longer. I’m out and about at the moment but I will post a picture when I get home. The build is indeed on Little Didcot somewhere in the dim and distant...

It is worth having a look through the wagon bible for options for the Parkside PYTHON. There Is ASMO, DAMO and an a number of other types that could be done with the bits in the bag. I rather like the look of the shortie DAMO myself!

Thanks for the compliments MIB!

All the best,

Castle

• Agree 1

Hi All,

Here we are!

This is the end (!). Note the added little blocks above the buffers. The little lower section folds down to provide a bit of floor over the buffers and the blocks holds it at the right height. I also added lamp irons and etched handles from the Mainly Trains and Dart Castings websites respectively.

4E7F5E2D-EE20-4856-A387-D88CC37C149A.jpeg.9aa978068385090e1418335bc1dde1ba.jpeg

The main sides and the sole bars are scratchbuilt however. If you weren’t conifident in building the doors, you could chop them out of another kit like the Parkside MINK. An equally valid approach. I don’t know if Peco do the provide you with spruces from the kits service like Parkside did but as Ratio do, I suspect it might be a thing...

8CBC506D-E2AE-4B0B-B28A-269A47036CB7.jpeg.dd8eaee189a74e76f2c9ac9dbb821ad0.jpeg

I hope thie helps!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Castle said:

I don’t know if Peco do the provide you with spruces from the kits service like Parkside did but as Ratio do, I suspect it might be a thing

They do, but don't expect it to be wallet friendly. I queried whether I could get just a roof from the 4 wheel coach kit to go with some Shirescene sides I have. It was just as effective buying a whole kit off eBay in the end.

Edited by 57xx
Speeling
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, No46 said:

How are things progression with your conversion?

I've only just got the Evergreen sheet to do the work I'm just working out how I will do the side doors.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The planked sides are on but I've lost the plot with the doors rather buqqer it up I going back in the todo pile for a while watch this space. 

• 2 months later...

Come in No46 !

Haveing picked up a parkside Python at a swapmeet, with such a crap tar brush weathering job done on it,including fogged glazing (Glue !) I decided to do a asmo with it

have replaced the sides with some right sized planked plasticard that I had in stock (shock horror)

i now need to do the doors, well not now! But soon I would just like some thoughts on what to buy at railwells in August to do the doors with

I do have some stick on white metal doors from a Hobbytime mink F .....BUT then I will need doors for the mink F ! 

If only mainly trains still existed bound to have something and were only walking distance away!

• RMweb Gold

Just an update I will box this one away for a rainy day I've got to move house so all the stock is packed and anything unfinished stored away in a big todo box first  I've a new

layout to build first once I'm settled the old layout is stripped of anything worth keeping the boards have gone in a skip. 

O ! Poo,

this means I am going to have to find my own answer as to how to do the doors, roll on railwells for a rummage amongst the trade stands.......

good luck with the move .......I am still not sorted layout and where did that go wise,four and half years after moving 

Aaah yes apologies No46 think (well know) I called you in early when I should have called 81C for a report, but it's looking like I am going to find out and tell or suggest a way to do it .....might go quite over hear now!

• RMweb Gold
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:36, Graham456 said:

O ! Poo,

this means I am going to have to find my own answer as to how to do the doors, roll on railwells for a rummage amongst the trade stands.......

good luck with the move .......I am still not sorted layout and where did that go wise,four and half years after moving 

Sorry mate everything apart from tools is boxes up It depends on how quick I can move into my new home before I start work on it.

Once moved in and I can't start the layout straight away I shall go to the todo list. boxes it's well marked

I do have a 009 layout up and running to play with in the meantime.

Haveing dug out the Hobbytime mink F kit and looked and tried the door framing on the Damo it would be a perfect fit, have thought over night how to make a silicone mold and cast up a couple of doors for the Damo as I can't afford to scrap the mink F kit by pinching the doors off it.

But just had a brilliant thought. At railwells modelU will be their where I can get the doors scanned and printed hopefully! If it's a goer might get more than one pair done!

Just got to wait till August