New to 7mm Scale, Many Questions!

HereticUK

Of course, there is no law that says you have to go for fine-scale 0; there is also a whole world of coarse-scale out there. All-metal r-t-r, made from various combinations of tin and castings, typically operated on 3R track.

Living in Russia, you might even be able to find Soviet Era Moskabel 0 gauge for sale at flea-markets ....... its rather like Lionel, from which I think the basic concepts were copied, with tinplate track and trains, and locos cast from immensely heavy alloy. The bits I've seen are well-made and run very well, but its not exactly compatible with the works of Messrs Minerva!

• Like 1

I hope you don't mind my contribution if it helps in any way ?

My first RTR Pannier was bought off Chris Klien at the Reading Show over a year ago, excellent service and the loco has performed just fine following a minor hiccup with it.

Chris was extremely helpful in sorting out my problem very swiftly by return post and I have no concerns with Minerva whatsoever.

I have fitted it with a spare sound decoder - ESU 8 pin ( not the correct sound for a pannier but just as a trial set up ).

Here is a very quick test video of it in operation and I am happy with its slow running performance to date.

The track bed is just some spare Peco bullhead used as a test bed.

Filmed on my iphone so quality isn't brilliant !

Grahame

• Like 2

Bgman, the more the merrier! I am always open to new ideas!

Nearholmer, while it is true that there is no rule about only using finescale, I am not so interested in the older tinplate, since it seems to be too "toy-like" for me.

Edited by HereticUK

Does anyone have any suggestions for a DCC controller for O gauge? I was looking at either the Hornby Elite or Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 Advance. From what I have read, the GM system is mostly recommended for exhibition layouts, whereas the Hornby system comes highly recommended for home ones.

I like the compactness of the Hornby system combined with its increased power output over the GM system. Also, since my girlfriend has also started taking an interest, the two controller knobs on the Hornby one mean that we can "play at trains" together. However, if anyone has anything to say about either system, I am looking for advice and suggestions.

Forget Hornby, they are for Train Set OO Layouts and are not up to the job long term. My advice would be to have a look at the ACE SignaTrack, a 3.5 would be more than adequate, I have one and Barnaby / 7mm King Street Goods has just bought one, see his thread for info, I do also have a prodigy 2, but prefer the SigNaTrack and its cheaper.

See my Videos in Seven Mills Sidings where I show it in a couple of Videos from today.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

NCE Powercab is also fine for what you are planning to do, I have one. Apparently the Gaugemaster Prodigy is a UK. Version, so I was told.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Forget Hornby, they are for Train Set OO Layouts and are not up to the job long term. My advice would be to have a look at the ACE SignaTrack, a 3.5 would be more than adequate, I have one and Barnaby / 7mm King Street Goods has just bought one, see his thread for info, I do also have a prodigy 2, but prefer the SigNaTrack and its cheaper.

See my Videos in Seven Mills Sidings where I show it in a couple of Videos from today.

Andrew P, thank you for the advice. I have never heard of the ACE system before, and after looking at both it and your video, I have decided it is an excellent system. One think I would like to check first: is it compatible with any DCC decoder or does it have restrictions?

Edited by HereticUK

6 hours ago, HereticUK said:

Andrew P, thank you for the advice. I have never heard of the ACE system before, and after looking at both it and your video, I have decided it is an excellent system. One think I would like to check first: is it compatible with any DCC decoder or does it have restrictions?

I think you will find that any controller will work any chip, I have never heard of any to the contrary. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, HereticUK said:

As Andy has commented, the Signatrak system is compatible with all.  On DCC, there are some standards that all manufacturers meet, so it does not matter whose decoders or controllers you use, they will all work together.  The ACE system is easy to use and can have walkabout controllers as Andy has.   I use Digitrax, a system that doesn't seem to be well promoted among the British DCC fraternity, but have no qualms with it at all.  For a one man operation, the walkabout controllers have the big advantage of having two control knobs to easily control two separate locos without having re-enter the decoder identities to swap between them.  I am looking to do some automated computer control as well, an Digitrax seems to have the edge from everything I can see, so it is all a case of personal choice and what works for your circumstance.

But I echo the comments about staying away from the Hornby system ... I'm told it has some peculiarities of its own, and as was previously commented, its ok for train sets but there are better options for model railways :)

Rich

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup
18 hours ago, Dava said:

NCE Powercab is also fine for what you are planning to do, I have one. Apparently the Gaugemaster Prodigy is a UK. Version, so I was told.

The Gaugemaster is a UK version of the MRC system

Another vote for the NCE here

I started in 7mm with kits from Jim at Connoiseur models, great bloke and helpful. Tried a flat wagon first and didn’t do a bad job then bought a Toad E brake which tested my new skills, first loco was Jim’s J79, great instructions. Bought some rtr (a lie bought far too much!) but that’s another story, welcome to 7mm.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the welcome, delticfan!

My partner has given me permission to acquire a new locomotive, so that is what I shall be doing soon enough. I am thinking about a Minerva Victory Class in Lined Red. My partner said she also likes this model, so I am on to a winner it seems!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, yesterday I took delivery of my brand new Minerva Models DCC Sound Victory in Lined Red. I am very happy with the quality of the locomotive! The next step is to increase the amount of stock available to me and the amount of track (more straights and more points for starters).

• Like 4

I've been thinking about the layout I want to create. Originally, I was looking at building in a light railway-style with a small country terminus. However, I have also been considering rebuilding Stroud Cheapside (born and raised in the Golden Valley) under different circumstances from reality. What if the original company hadn't been sold to the GWR in the late 1840s? I would like to explore this possibility a little.

Edited by HereticUK
Spelling corrections

Hello everyone! I need some help. I am attempting to fit the DCC decoder and speaker to my Dapol Terrier Brighton Works, but I am having some difficulties due to the lack of instructions.

Here is the first picture. What do I need to do with this capacitor? What about the speaker?

15515192857247816180287051267004.jpg

Edited by HereticUK

46 minutes ago, HereticUK said:

Hello everyone! I need some help. I am attempting to fit the DCC decoder and speaker to my Dapol Terrier Brighton Works, but I am having some difficulties due to the lack of instructions.

Here is the first picture. What do I need to do with this capacitor? What about the speaker?

15515192857247816180287051267004.jpg

The capacitor is stay alive, but in conversation with people (in the supplier) it is too small to make any real difference, and Digitrains don’t bother to fit it. The speaker just needs soldering on to your chip

Here is my video showing exactly what you have to do. Different loco, same chip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I have some updates on my venture into railway modelling. I have recently been looking into designing a new railway company and region based around the area where I currently live. There are many interesting stations in Russia, serving both small towns and several factories at the same time. One of which is called "Gavrilov-Yam", which roughly translates to "The town around the new post office in the name of Gavrila". Looking into the history of this place, it turns out that such small towns were constructed to provide shelter for travellers and workers between the post offices around the region. The word "yam" comes from the old word "yamschik", which basically means "courier". So, I have taken this station into my railway company and renamed it in a British fashion to "Courier's Hearth".

The station is used very seldom these days, since one of the factories that it served has long since closed (or transferred the majority of its remaining traffic to the roads), but I am going to breathe some life into it. The station will be a single platform, with siding for a goods shed. On the other side of the station will be a linen factory and warehouse with a few sidings. To the left of the layout will be the exit to the traverser, which will be covered by the second factory - a scrapyard/foundry.

The track will be PECO Code 124 Bullhead. My major concern (as always) is operational interest. I have divided the layout into three stages of construction, but I am not so sure about this.

I have some other plans in mind, which I will be placing here in the future. Any comments/thoughts/improvements will be taken to heart and greatly appreciated.

изображение.png

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well Chaps,

I also have taken the plunge to the Dark side. I have move into 7mm modelling, I have an '08' and a few wagons a rough track plan going together and some track. I am looking at buildings and would like to build some arches for a back scene with character. I am struggling to get any measurements for heights. Does any one have any info on where I can get some measurements. They seem to do everything in 00 gauge but it is lacking in 0 gauge for scratch building.

May I also suggest Connoisseur Models - Jim is very helpful, I have built quite a few of his kits as a beginner, they go together very well

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have another question if I may regarding my lack of experience and knowledge: I saw that some people have said that ACE ETS trains are reasonably compatible with Peco track; does this mean that ETS track is compatible with Peco track? For example, would it be feasible to use ETS points combined with Peco set-track pieces?