Fowey tipper track plan and operations.

outcastjack

Hello all,

I saw a fantastic photo of a wagon tipper and conveyor up to a jetty at Fowey on the Everything Great Western facebook group. I dont own the photo so wont post it here but I think it is the same jetty as below from a differnt angle. I would guess the photo was between the wars from the rolling stock but may have been a little earlier.

https://goo.gl/images/i6m86n

I want to make a very small exhibition layout based on it dominated by the jetty and a ship with the rails running behind.

Try as I might I cant find anything on the track plan or how the tipper was operated.

Does anyone have any information of this?

• RMweb Premium

Britain from above has this:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW021671

I had a look on Old Maps and the NLS site. NLS only has 1907 in the 25 inch series. OldMaps site has later ones, but the 1970 one seems very pixellated, and most of the pder ones are to too small a scale to be much use, but probably worth a look, anyway.

Regards

Ian

This photo might be of interest, although earlier than the photo you started with.

post-189-0-30301800-1548176878_thumb.jpeg

And NLS has a contemporary map which shows the typical track layout on each jetty. The Google photo seems to show that one track has been replaced by a conveyor.

post-189-0-87619600-1548176894_thumb.jpeg

You might find inspiration from the old harbour at Charlestown, and a book, From Staithes to Conveyors, gives a comprehensive history of rail served loading of ships, albeit for the coal industry, but there must be many parallels with the China Clay operations