Class 26/27 photos

On 05/10/2020 at 12:50, stovepipe said:

Lovely photo - don't suppose you have a date by any chance?

I used to work with Mike at the end of my railway career, so I asked the question when it was taken?

He has had a look, but the best he can come up with is 1968 probably around May.

cheers

• Thanks 1

27s on the Kyle line were rare, this is a beauty shared from Facebook with permission from photographer Alan Conway.  26 034  running round at Kyle of Lochalsh on 9th September 1980 having arrived with 27 109 on the first train of the day from Dingwall.  Note that the track beyond  the release crossover only allows one loco at a time.

FB_IMG_1615062793182.jpg

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 16

On 14/05/2020 at 11:12, luckymucklebackit said:

Couldn't help thinking how wrong that looked yet couldn't put my finger on why, then I realised it is simply that the yellow end goes slightly higher than normal, amazing how a small detail difference can affect perception!

Jim

Three BRCW type 2s where actually painted like the preserved 5343 is, 5304 and 5324 had the yellow up and over the gutter the other one 5343 had it up to the gutter.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold
On 06/03/2021 at 14:53, Rivercider said:

I used to work with Mike at the end of my railway career, so I asked the question when it was taken?

He has had a look, but the best he can come up with is 1968 probably around May.

cheers

Thanks for asking. I do think that is a tad early though - as an original LMR machine D5394 wasn't moved up to Eastfield until July 68 and I suspect the D prefix might well have lingered a while longer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/03/2021 at 21:01, luckymucklebackit said:

27s on the Kyle line were rare, this is a beauty shared from Facebook with permission from photographer Alan Conway.  26 034  running round at Kyle of Lochalsh on 9th September 1980 having arrived with 27 109 on the first train of the day from Dingwall.  Note that the track beyond  the release crossover only allows one loco at a time.

FB_IMG_1615062793182.jpg

If only one loco can fit in the release track, what's the 26 doing?

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

If only one loco can fit in the release track, what's the 26 doing?

Might the 27 have failed and the 26 is going to drag it out? Then again, is the 26 actually moving, the gull in the 4ft doesn't seem to think so?

• RMweb Premium

My guess is that the 26 has been into the neck, and then drawn back up the loop enough to allow the 27 past it. The driver has then moved the 27 into the neck, is about to swing the points and then run onto the 26. Whether its a good idea to couple up on the reverse curve of the crossover I don't know.. My guess is that they will be coupled and multi'd up and then driven to the front of the train...

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

On 27's yes, an Eastfield special for Royal Train duty, applied November 1983, removed September 1984.  

Current issue of Traction magazine mentions it with a photo the day after its Royal Train duty, white wall tyres, silver buffers, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, John M Upton said:

On 27's yes, an Eastfield special for Royal Train duty, applied November 1983, removed September 1984.  

Current issue of Traction magazine mentions it with a photo the day after its Royal Train duty, white wall tyres, silver buffers, etc.

Ah yes, as shown on this Flickr pic....

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

26007 looking smart in Railfreight colours, on its last day at a very wet Bodmin & Wenford Railway, 2nd Nov 2019. Is the the furthest west a class 26 has worked (in England)?

• Like 5

On 21/07/2021 at 19:38, montyburns56 said:

26007 Leith Docks, Edinburgh 1981 by Martyn Hilbert

26007 (D5300) - Leith Docks, Edinburgh.

The loads they used to hang on those early air-braked 26s! They must have been running on diesel with added Weetabix! :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by the late and much missed Norman E Preedy : Glasgow Central, 11th September 1971....

2001745251_GLASGOWQSt110971NEPREEDY.jpg.406c10ae4238a0054d52b95ce5a69ea9.jpg

I discovered that a green Class 27 had gained double arrow logos during a slide show in the early 1980s but the presenter couldn't identify it, which was a tad frustrating for a livery nutter such as myself. I reckon some 20 years must have passed by then one day I was thumbing through some long-stored early 1970s 'Railway Magazines' and there it was - 5406! The answer had been in my loft all along!I

5389 looks particularly grubby considering it had still been blue with small yellow panels a year or so earlier. On that same day I was wandering around Laira depot.......

• Like 2

On 29/04/2021 at 11:48, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Bob Faulkner : D5374 on Wellingborough Shed on 7th August 1966....

1053014278_RYBOBFD5374Wbro070866.jpg.f36549dfa17f267c3163e1d67c0701f4.jpg

A photo which shows just how filthy the examples used generally on freight on the Midland Lines got - you’d be forgiven for thinking there are no white window surrounds on the right hand example - D5374 looks like it’s yellow warning panel has been cleaned. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

I discovered that a green Class 27 had gained double arrow logos during a slide show in the early 1980s but the presenter couldn't identify it, which was a tad frustrating for a livery nutter such as myself. I reckon some 20 years must have passed by then one day I was thumbing through some long-stored early 1970s 'Railway Magazines' and there it was - 5406! The answer had been in my loft all along!I

5389 looks particularly grubby considering it had still been blue with small yellow panels a year or so earlier. On that same day I was wandering around Laira depot.......

I suspect 5389’s paint may be suffering (WR hydraulic style) from a combination of being nearly 5 yrs old and reasonably regular trips since being in Scotland through the carriage washing plant (possibly after no such attention on the LMR) - thus having patches of primer or bleached paint showing through the blue. I would imagine it originally had that ‘eggshell’ finish used at the start of the blue repaint era, which looked shabby quite quickly - it must have looked pretty tatty, especially in colour. . 

Great Scottish trip 26/27 photos btw. 

4 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

I suspect 5389’s paint may be suffering (WR hydraulic style) from a combination of being nearly 5 yrs old and reasonably regular trips since being in Scotland through the carriage washing plant (possibly after no such attention on the LMR) - thus having patches of primer or bleached paint showing through the blue. I would imagine it originally had that ‘eggshell’ finish used at the start of the blue repaint era, which looked shabby quite quickly - it must have looked pretty tatty, especially in colour. . 

Great Scottish trip 26/27 photos btw. 

That's the odd thing - if 5389 had simply had full yellow ends applied then yes, I'd have expected its nearly 5-year-old blue paintwork and sooty roof to look just like this. But then it would have been displaying a double arrow logo where the number is, plus a bodyside number. If both had been painted out surely this would have been visible as darker blue patches. The spaced-out numbers were typical ScR (St Rollox?) at the time so it looks like a full repaint into Bfye around 12 months earlier has weathered particularly badly on this one. Maybe the date's wrong but how much longer did 5406 last in green? It's a bit of a mystery TBH!

Glad you liked the photos, I know some of the skies look a bit green but these were scanned negatives, not slides (a mistake in retrospect) which spent some years stored in occasionally extreme temperatures in the loft (alongside those old RMs!)

• Like 2