German insulated ferry van

Hello everyone,

my Name is Sven, i am from Germany and this is my first post.  First of all I will excuse any mistakes in writing english, but I try my best!

Since a few years i construct my own railway cars in H0, first i used Shapeways printing service, but the poor surface ist quite a problem, so i decided to buy my own 3D Printer, a Formlabs Form 2.

Till now i allways made german railway cars, but i am also interested in international ferry vans, especially British Railways. My prefered time period is 1950 - 1965.

Here are some Pictures of my first ferry boat van Tbnhs 30, build in 1937 they were in Service till 1969.

post-36018-0-06507800-1548188884_thumb.jpg

post-36018-0-90795200-1548188909_thumb.jpg

post-36018-0-57667100-1548188933_thumb.jpg

First weathering attempts

post-36018-0-80875700-1548189047_thumb.jpg

post-36018-0-12073300-1548189076_thumb.jpg

For my new projekt i need some help, i am looking for informations/drawings about a BR ferry van lowmac, some  1950s build  lowmacs were on their way across Germany.

Thank you for every help i can get!

Thank you for your attention

Greetings Sven

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello Sven,

Welcome to our forum. Your English is very good, far better than my German (sorry!).

That is wonderful work you are doing, I will study your blog in greater detail soon as I model several of the German epochs or eras.

I cannot help with any details but I'm sure that myself and other members of the British H0 society would be very interested indeed if you make any British outline items available for sale, please? (In H0, of course).

Freundlich grüße,

John.

• Agree 1

Hello Sven,

Welcome to our forum. Your English is very good, far better than my German (sorry!).

That is wonderful work you are doing, I will study your blog in greater detail soon as I model several of the German epochs or eras.

I cannot help with any details but I'm sure that myself and other members of the British H0 society would be very interested indeed if you make any British outline items available for sale, please? (In H0, of course).

Freundlich grüße,

John.

Hello John,

thank you for your comment!

I hope i can get in contact with the British H0 Society and off course my items are for sale. I first want to make a lowmac and after this i am locking for other interesting BR ferry Vans

Have a nice day

Sven

• Thanks 1

Sven,

this is my thread on scratch building ferry vans in 4mm, https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58076-ferry-vans-from-scratch/

I'd looked at the type of van you have made (I believe there is a Drawing in Stefan Carstans book) but its a little early for my interest.

Jon

Hello Jon,

very impressive your Scratch buildings! Yes the drawing is in a book of Stefan Carstens, but i made the later Version with smaler ice doors and a little bit different chassis. 

I am a member of Stefan Carstens Team and actually construct and print vans for "Güterwagen Band 9" publication is March 2020. 

Sven

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

yes, i can scale my prints up to gauge 0. For my Chassis i use Romford Pin Point Bearings.

Sven

Sven,

I'd very much like a 4mm/ft / 'OO' /1:76.2 scale example and I can think of someone else who might.

Thanks,

Jon 

• Agree 1

Hi Sven

Back in the 1980s, the magazine Model Railway Constructor (no longer published, sadly) produced an annual, one of which featured an article on BR ferry wagons by Paul Bartlett and Trevor Mann (both acknowledged wagon experts; Paul Bartlett's website has already been mentioned above). This included scale plans of several types, including a Lowmac. I don't know which year's book it was in, but I'm sure that someone here will be able to tell you. If all else fails, I'd suggest a private message to RMWebber Dibber25: he was the editor of MRC back then and he'd be bound to know.

post-263-0-11126000-1548347183.jpg

Copies of the MRC annuals are readily available on eBay.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

Hello Jim,

thank you for the information! This is what I am looking for...the drawing on your picture seem perfekt for construction. 

So I hope someone here can tell which annual of the MRC it is.

Sven

Edited by Epoche 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jim,

thank you for the information! This is what I am looking for...the drawing on your picture seem perfekt for construction. 

So I hope someone here can tell which annual of the MRC it is.

Sven

Hi

Model Railway Constructor Annual 1985

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Model Railway Constructor Annual 1985

Cheers

Paul

Bartlett, Paul W. & Mann, T., (1984) Cross Channel Ferry Wagons used on BR. Model Railway Constructor Annual 1985 pp 18 - 29, edited by Leigh, Chris.

Drawings - BR 20t tank diag. 1/304; Lowmac SF diag. 2/254 ); BR 20t ferry van diag. 1/227 .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:24, Epoche 3 said:

Hello Everybody,

now i have finished my insulated Ferry van..

2085412458_Khlwagen201.jpg.914c872b6134f15d350eb92b1160576b.jpg

593787017_Khlwagen202.jpg.b1c20e61929b8812450bf54f66ea6238.jpg

By the way i made also a second version with bigger ice doors and a different right door.

This is the first prototype...

968513537_FhrbootVers2.jpg.b70e6f7031d2334666c3f1c20fb4ab40.jpg

Have a nice day...

Sven

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5