Removeable Mk1 coach roofs

• RMweb Gold

Are there any 00 scale MK1 coach models out there that have removeable roofs?

AFAIK, the only ones on which the roofs definitely won't come off (i.e. are moulded in one piece with the sides) are Mainline and Replica. You can still get "inside" to paint the interiors or add passengers, though.

However, I have none of the current Hornby ones (having bought all the Mk1s I'll ever need long before they were introduced) so don't know if/how they come apart.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Of what is currently on sale new, or all the mk1s ever offered?

The initial releases if eight or nine types of Bachmann mk1 gangwayed with the heavily ribbed roof for your displeasure, proved to have clip on removeable roofs. However the clip on construction was so tight and neat that I had owned a fair number for quite a while before discovering this. Then Bachmann changed the constructional plan significantly, and most of the later introductions with accurately represented smooth roof construction are I believe moulded with roof integral with sides. Whether Bachmann have subsequently revised any of the earlier introductions I don't know. Their much older tooling for the BR 57' mk1 non-gangwayed all compartment stock, has only ever been a one piece body moulding, roof sides and ends as a single piece. 

So for this range alone - and it is comfortably the largest ever offered so rather useful - you would need to ask very specifically about the vehicle(s) of interest.

OK, sorry, I should have said easily removeable roofs. My latest Bachmanns have the sides moulded with the roofs and you have to cut the pipework on the end to get the roof/side off, even then they are not designed for easy removing. The latest Hornbys have the roof and sides as one moulding with the ends attached and they are easier to remove.

I am interested in Corridor Brakes for use in a remote vehicle mounted uncoupling system which raises the hook on a tension lock coupler anywhere on the layout and at an operating distance of up to 15 feet without precise positioning of the vehicle. My eyes are not what they used to be!. The system (if it works) will use a servo or actuator to raise the hook controlled by radio and battery powered. I need easy access to replace the battery unless I install onboard charging.

After the project is finished there will be perhaps 6 semi fixed rakes with converted brakes plus others for local and parcel trains.

The local non corridor and excursion train can use Dapol coaches and the roofs come off

• RMweb Premium

OK, sorry, I should have said easily removeable roofs. My latest Bachmanns have the sides moulded with the roofs and you have to cut the pipework on the end to get the roof/side off, even then they are not designed for easy removing. The latest Hornbys have the roof and sides as one moulding with the ends attached and they are easier to remove.

I am interested in Corridor Brakes for use in a remote vehicle mounted uncoupling system which raises the hook on a tension lock coupler anywhere on the layout and at an operating distance of up to 15 feet without precise positioning of the vehicle. My eyes are not what they used to be!. The system (if it works) will use a servo or actuator to raise the hook controlled by radio and battery powered. I need easy access to replace the battery unless I install onboard charging.

After the project is finished there will be perhaps 6 semi fixed rakes with converted brakes plus others for local and parcel trains.

The local non corridor and excursion train can use Dapol coaches and the roofs come off

I would be very surprised if Bachmann have gone to the trouble of modifying the tooling for their MK1s to have combined roof plus side moulds - particularly with their recent production problems.

What they have been doing on recent releases is gluing together bits that previously clipped together (roof to the carriage ends for example) making it a bit more tricky to separate the parts.

Also there is no need to ‘cut off’ any pipe work - it is / was simply push fitted into holes on the roof / end and can be prised out with patience.