ESU New Products for 2019

With the Nuremburg Toy Fair now only a week away, I had a look round the German language sections of the ESU website for hints of new products.

As you may have seen already in the DCC Sound sub-forum, or on the SW Digital website, ESU are launching the V5 version of their LokSound decoder. The manual for it, so far in German only, is already available for download from the ESU website. As ESU only release the manuals for new products in the weeks immediately before launch that implies it will be on sale in the coming weeks.

There may be other new digital products to be announced at the Toy Fair next week, but as there aren't any other manuals publishef for new products that I could spot, they probably wouldn't be available until later in the year.

The new catalogue for their Engineering Editions models is now on their website, in German only.

For H0 modellers, the V60 model is completely new.

There are 4 new liveries for their Class 66 and 2 for the continentalised and incorrectly named "Class 77".

A new livery is on offer for the DB E94.

For N. American modellers there is an SD40-2 in Santa Fe, Union Pacific, BNSF, and NS liveries.

In their wagon range, there are two new liveries for their tank wagon.

Their Pullman G gauge range now has a range of modern panoramic coaches for the Bernina Express (BEX).

Edited by GoingUnderground

FWIW ...

Google Translate now works with sub-pages too.

In the past if you entered a foreign language URL into Google Translate it only translated that page and any links that you clicked on were in the original language and not translated.

Now if you translate a page and click on a link, the new page is also translated.

What isn't clear is where to type the URL.

Simply enter the whole URL (starting with www.  or http/https: into the space where you would normally type the text and voila!

Link to Google Translate >>  https://translate.google.com/

Hope this helps,

Art

you dont need to use Google Translate - If you use Chrome it will do it automatically and if you use Edge then you can add the translator extension and it will again do it automatically. When it doesnt in either product do the whole page instantly (because to much is in English at start usually) both allow you to highlight text, right click and select Translate. 

This is sooo much easier than using Google Translate :)

you dont need to use Google Translate - If you use Chrome it will do it automatically and if you use Edge then you can add the translator extension and it will again do it automatically. When it doesnt in either product do the whole page instantly (because to much is in English at start usually) both allow you to highlight text, right click and select Translate. 

This is sooo much easier than using Google Translate :)

I beg to differ, at least as far as my experience goes, hence my post above.

Using Google Chrome version 71.0.3578.98 (which it says is up to date) and visiting this website > https://www.1001-digital.de/pages/1001-digital/startseite.php  I get a page full of German.

Others may try the above link in Google Chrome and/or Edge and see what they get, but I can only report what I find.  Can't comment on M$ Edge - I don't use it.

Of course, you may get something different.

Art

On the subject of auto-translation software, the MS Edge translator add in does a good job of web pages. I might even swap from IE to Edge just for the translations.

I've used Google Translate many times to translate documents in the past, but have found that it iignores some words completely and leaves them out of the translated version. That might not matter in some cases, but as it tends to leave out the word "not" that does rather change the meaning of what is being translated.

May I ask what setting you have in the following location in your Chrome browser please?

Chrome Menu (three dots) >> Settings

Scroll down to Advanced Settings

Scroll down to Languages.

Have you a tick / check mark next to "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language you read" (or is it set to 'On' as shown below)?

46852033891_a7427c0f73_b.jpg

I have this turned on, yet it doesn't auto translate the web pages (see below)

46126908864_4ef1d49625_c.jpg

Thanks,

Art

EDIT:

On the subject of auto-translation software, the MS Edge translator add in does a good job of web pages. I might even swap from IE to Edge just for the translations.

I've used Google Translate .yself to translate documents in the past, but have found that it iignores some worls complety and leaves them out of the translated version. That might not matter in sime cases, but as it tends to leave out the word "not" that does rather change the meaning of what is being translated.

I find Google Translate to be very reliable - I was quite surprised how much better it is now than the last time I used it.

Edited by Art Dent

I beg to differ, at least as far as my experience goes, hence my post above.

Using Google Chrome version 71.0.3578.98 (which it says is up to date) and visiting this website > https://www.1001-digital.de/pages/1001-digital/startseite.php  I get a page full of German.

Others may try the above link in Google Chrome and/or Edge and see what they get, but I can only report what I find.  Can't comment on M$ Edge - I don't use it.

Of course, you may get something different.

Art

Well for me, using the same version of Chrome, the web page you have linked above appears in German (ie not translated), but it has a pop up box below the address bar stating 'Translate this page?  and buttons for Translate and Options.  Clicking on Options gives me the chance to:

'Always Translate German',

'Never Translate German'

'Never Translate this site'.

If I select 'Always Translate', then the next time I click on the link, it automatically translates.

However, if you don't get this pop up, you can just hover over the little G symbol next to the star for bookmarking a web page and this will translate the page.

Edited by Dungrange

LOL

Looks like the same thing is happening to you David as is happening to me when I post stuff today.

Click on 'Post' and nothing seems to happen, so click 'Post' again - again nothing seems to happen.

Hit F5 'refresh' and there are TWO (or more) copies of what I wrote in the same post!  I thinks something si broken somewhere on RMWeb.

Anyhow, glad to see same thing is happening to others - ie German webpage initially comes up as German and isn't auto-translated.

BTW, I didn't get / don't get the pop-up (perhaps because my Pop-up blocker is actually working?? - *shrugs*)

Hadn't spotted the symbol next to the star - thanks.  Worked straight away.

Art

Edited by Art Dent

May I ask what setting you have in the following location in your Chrome browser please?

Chrome Menu (three dots) >> Settings

Scroll down to Advanced Settings

Scroll down to Languages.

Have you a tick / check mark next to "Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language you read" (or is it set to 'On' as shown below)?

46852033891_a7427c0f73_b.jpg

I have this turned on, yet it doesn't auto translate the web pages (see below)

My set up in settings is exactly the same as yours apart from the fact that I've set my language to English (United Kingdom).  However, I think this option only 'Offers' to translate - ie brings up a pop-up box asking if you want to translate the web page - it doesn't automatically translate it.  For that you need to select the little symbol at the right of your address bar and select options.

After that interesting but largely irrelevant diversion into the merits of translation addins for browsers, I have more information about ESU's 2019 lineup.

• The 4 Amp ECosboost (50010) has been dropped from the range. The 8 amp ECoSBoost (50011) has sold out at ESU but presumably will still be available through dealers until their stocks run out. Their place is being taken by a new 7 amp ECoSBoost (50012), available  from Q3/2019, which at EUR 249.00 is significantly cheaper than the 8 amp one at EUR 439.00.

• The LokSound 5 multiprotocol decoder will now have two different versions for the 21MTC interface, one for DCC, the other "MKL" one is for Maerklin locos. The other interfaces available for the 5 are 6 pin, 8 pin, and PluX 22. The 5 Micro will be available with the 6 pin, 8 pin, PLuX 16 and Next 18 interfaces. There will also be L and XL versions of the LS5. 

• In the US, the new LokSound 5 will also be available as DCC only in the "Direct" format as used to date for the Loksound Select. This seems to be a replacement for the Loksound Select Direct which is not shown in the US catalogue, but the LokSound Select Direct micro is. 

• There is a new twin smoke unit (54677) for use with the LokSound XL so that in addition to smoke from the boiler, it can simulate steam from the cylinders. It is shown as available from Q2/2019.

• There's a blanking plug (51956) to convert any loco with a Loksound L decoder frpom digital back to analogue, available Q1/2019.

If you're waiting for the release of the SignalPilot decoder, bad news, it's release is now shown as Q4/2019 in the price list.. If it carries on at this rate, it'll take the record for the longest delay for an ESU product between announcement and going on sale, which I think is held by the now discontinued ECoSControl Radio.

There's still no mention of the CabControl in the Europe catalogue or price list, but it does feature in the US/Canada/Australia one.

The Europe catalogues and price list can be downloaded from here http://www.esu.eu/download/kataloge/

The US catalogue/product highlights and the Europe price list in english can be downloaded from here http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/catalogues/

The new 7 amp ECoSBoost matches the CabControl's own 7 amp power capability.

I'm not sure there's any significance in that, other than the CabControl's primary market being the USA, where there are lots of large layouts, often employing multiple boosters.

On the subject of the CabControl, I thought we'd see it launched in Europe this year.

Sadly not.

Maybe there is some form of agreement with Piko after all ????

The new 7 amp ECoSBoost matches the CabControl's own 7 amp power capability.

I'm not sure there's any significance in that, other than the CabControl's primary market being the USA, where there are lots of large layouts, often employing multiple boosters.

On the subject of the CabControl, I thought we'd see it launched in Europe this year.

Sadly not.

Maybe there is some form of agreement with Piko after all ????

Matching the power output to that of the CabControl is probably irrelevant. I put it down to standardising on a single PSU, which is also used for the ECoS 2.1, and rationalising the product range. Having two different ECoSBoost units was a bit overkill IMHO and the 8amp one was hideously expensive.

I'm certain that there is an agreement with Piko, much the same way there must have been one with Bachmann over the Dynamis/Navigator, and with Maerklin over ESU using the work they did for Maerklin to develop the Maerklin Central Station 1/CS1 which resulted in tbe ECoS.

Judging by some of the posts on tbe ESU Forum, some folks im the US and Australia seem to be buying CabControl in the expectation that it is an ECoS but without the screen or twin throttle knobs. They are then surprised when they find out that there are features of the ECoS that they expected to be able to use with CabControl don't exist in CabControl.