Operating TPO's

sncf231e

This week I found a Jouef operating TPO to add to the collection. Here are the TPO's I have found until now:

0 Gauge Bassett Lowke:
34895833de.jpg

34895834sc.jpg

0 Gauge Exley (non-operating):
34895864qi.jpg

00 gauge Hornby Dublo:
34895848pu.jpg

34895849jo.jpg

00 Gauge Hornby Railways:
34895845sl.jpg

34895846nb.jpg

00 Gauge Triang:
34895862ff.jpg

34895863lk.jpg

H0 Gauge Jouef:
34895854wn.jpg

34895855mz.jpg

I do not know whether there are any other vintage types?

Here is a video of the Hornby Dublo version operating on my layout:

Many pictures of postal carriages from around the world can be seen in my (free to download) e-book on this subject: http://sncf231e.nl/tporpo/

Regards
Fred

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This week I found a Jouef operating TPO to add to the collection. Here are the TPO's I have found until now:

0 Gauge Bassett Lowke:
34895833de.jpg

34895834sc.jpg

0 Gauge Exley (non-operating):
34895864qi.jpg

00 gauge Hornby Dublo:
34895848pu.jpg

34895849jo.jpg

00 Gauge Hornby Railways:
34895845sl.jpg

34895846nb.jpg

00 Gauge Triang:
34895862ff.jpg

34895863lk.jpg

H0 Gauge Jouef:
34895854wn.jpg

34895855mz.jpg

I do not know whether there are any other vintage types?

Here is a video of the Hornby Dublo version operating on my layout:

Many pictures of postal carriages from around the world can be seen in my (free to download) e-book on this subject: http://sncf231e.nl/tporpo/

Regards
Fred

Tri-ang Transcontinental version. Many variations.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=1031

There's a 2 rail version of the Dublo TPO. It has wheelsets with one plastic and one metal wheel. The base unit clips to the track and makes contact with the nearside rail for the current return. For a time there were both 2 and 3 rail versions of the coach, but then it was realised that the 2 rail one worked just as well on 3 rail (or perhaps they were just clearing stocks).

Unlike all the others it is a GWR prototype. I received mine as abirthday present in january 1958 to go with my new 'Bristol Castle- I had received for Christmas.

There is a GWR version of the Hornby coach, but it is merely a reliveried version of their LMS coach.

There is an extra pick-up shoe at side which touches a fourth rail and when this rail is powered (there is a switch for this in the set) a plunger is activated. See the instructions here:

http://www.tccincinnati.com/dublo/TPOMailVanSet.pdf

Regards

Fred

The button was green. HD provided red buttons for their electric un-couplers.

If the TPO was operated using max track voltage the coach would flick the little lead mail bags beyond the line side receptacle.

Gordon A

There's a large solenoid inside the Dublo TPO which operates the net etc. The instructions say it should not  be lubricated, but one of of mine wouldn't work properly until it was.* The push button is identical to the one for the uncoupling rails, apart from the colour of the button. Any push button or even an ordinary switch can be used as the device only operates when it passes the trackside unit. It could even be hard wired!

I never had the 'bag' overshooting the bin problem, though it would stick inside the coach and require vigorous shaking to dislodge. :O The instructions state, "gently", but, as anyone who has tried it knows, gently doesn't work. It jams firmly under the ejection flap. It is essential that it is polished .

Wire can be saved by connecting the TPO return directly to the track return (tinplate base) terminal on the controller. (All Trix accessories are connected this way.) The contact will probably be more reliable in the case of the 2 rail unit as well. (50+ years of accumulated gunk doesnt make for reliable contact.)

*The mechanism not the ramp. Doing it properly involves dismantling the coach, which is probably why they said not to do it.

Edited by Il Grifone

Reading the instructions (which I haven't seen since I received my set in  January 1958), I saw the dire warnings about not using a separate supply for the TPO unit. Now I can see that the extra current draw could make the train slow down or stop, but fail to see how the TPO can operate without the button being pressed and how a second independent circuit can have any effect whatsoever. I can only surmise that their test circuit had the contact between the metal base and the live terminal that they warn about avoiding, though this would stop it operating at all.

Has anyone any other ideas?

EDIT

The dilemma is solved!

Further investigation has shown that the instructions are actually incorrect and have the push button in the return. Switches should always be in the supply line and I assumed this was how it was wired. Interrupting a return path will certainly cause undesirable effects. Of course, with an independent supply for the TPO it doesn't really matter.

On my Dublo 3 rail layout descibed elsewhere on RMweb, the TPO unit was fed from from a Marshall III which had all the lower terminals commoned and connected to the metal track base. (It was wired for 'cab control', but then how else do you wire a layout? - DCC excluded). The AC output fed all the accessories.

At the time it was the practice to fuse both phases of the mains. This dangerous practice leaves the whole circuitry live if the neutral fuse blows....

Edited by Il Grifone

I am impressed by the depth of collections and knowledge here!

I have a Hornby LMS TPO and also a teak LNER one built from etched brass sides. In Grouping days, were TPOs and their tenders formed into discreet trains for security reasons, or were they sometimes included in passenger trains, eg overnight sleepers?

Mine was originally wired up to two 4.5 volt (The square ones with screw caps) batteries giving I think 9 volts.

To save on batteries I switched the connections to the track - HD two rail.

My TPO was usually hauled by my HD City of London at full bore. I never noticed any reduction in speed.

Lots of fun!

Gordon A

AFAIK the Transcontinental one is a complete flight of fantasy. I would like to be proved wrong, as I have one repainted silver ready to use.

Any reduction in speed with the Dublo TPO would depend on the source resistance of the power supply. Flat out it would be low.

Edited by Il Grifone