Re-skinning (Metcalfe) card kits

I have some Metcalfe terrace house kits which look nicely straightforward to put together.  However, unlike the online offerings from Scalescenes which allow the buyer a great choice in specifying brick colouration etc., I am stuck with the red brick ones.  My own interest is in London (specifically GN out of Kings Cross) and I wondered if anyone reading this has ever "re-skinned" an existing pre-printed, pre-cut, pre-scored kit like the Metcalfe (or Superquick) ones?  I'm thinking of using something like the Scalescenes London stock or similar brick paper to do so.

I've searched in this forum but can't find anything referenced. I feel sure that someone must have done this before.  Any pointers welcome!

I’ve never tried, but in theory it should be possible, and not that hard. The only immediate potential problem I can think of is if there is a difference in brick sizes between the two. That might mean door and window openings don’t match brick courses as well as they should.

You’ll need to be careful to get a good glue bond for the Scalescenes paper. My preference would be Pritt Stick, with a roller to smooth it well down.

An old photo, but herewith a Metcalfe pub re-roofed with Scalescenes paper to avoid the 'generic' roof look. I see no problem with covering M'fe with Scalescenes, perhaps using less expensive [and thus thick], say 80gm copier paper to avoid diminishing window apertures unless you feel inclined to take 1/64" off theside of window and door openings. Decorative lintles etc can be cut using 'scrap-booking' scissors.

Good advice from Kiwi, I'd never embark on a paper textured card model without a roller in hand, and UHU stick is equally good as Pritt if its not to hand at your local outlet.

For window treatment, cut the paper covering the opening down the centre and fold back ONCE THE GLUE IS DRY and burnish the fold with something smooth like the handle of your scalpel to maintain a sharp crease. Sorry about 'shouting' but thin paper will tear oh-so easily when even slightly damp. Good luck, and don't forget to post pictures!

post-106-0-18889200-1548334338.jpg

Best wishes,

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have used Superquick Slate paper on the roof of Metcalfe buildings.

I feel that Metcalfe's roof slate pattern is one prominent area that really lets down their models.

I have also 'deconstructed' Builder Plus kits, using a paper photocopy of the BP kit to skin a mountboard carcass.

Try it and see how you get on.

Chris

I have some Metcalfe terrace house kits which look nicely straightforward to put together.  However, unlike the online offerings from Scalescenes which allow the buyer a great choice in specifying brick colouration etc., I am stuck with the red brick ones.  My own interest is in London (specifically GN out of Kings Cross) and I wondered if anyone reading this has ever "re-skinned" an existing pre-printed, pre-cut, pre-scored kit like the Metcalfe (or Superquick) ones?  I'm thinking of using something like the Scalescenes London stock or similar brick paper to do so.

I've searched in this forum but can't find anything referenced. I feel sure that someone must have done this before.  Any pointers welcome!

Would it be possible to scan the kit 'in the flat', and then use photo manipulation software to change the brick colour?

When satisfied, print the result onto paper, and you would have an overlay that would exactly match the kit.

Just an idea .....

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks everybody for your hints and suggestions.  Builder Plus - there's a name to conjure with and I've still got one or two of theirs to play with.  I like the suggestion to create a scan and then use Photoshop or similar to manipulate the colours etc.  The only trouble is that I can see myself getting immersed in that exercise and losing a whole weekend in doing nothing else!

Thanks for the roller tip and not gluing back the window fold backs until the rest has dried completely.  I'll certainly post pictures to chart progress.

In the meantime, I have come across two YouTube videos showing how "Tony North Eastern" re-skinned the Superquick station building (#2) to create his take on High Shields.  The links are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6zYQ7QY1Q and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ3SGiq_g2g - Tony makes it look straightforward plus his lintels and sills elevate the typical flat appearance of the underlying Superquick base.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Would it be possible to scan the kit 'in the flat', and then use photo manipulation software to change the brick colour?

When satisfied, print the result onto paper, and you would have an overlay that would exactly match the kit.

Just an idea .....

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've tried this with a similar product, but you have to scan at a high resolution, otherwise you get interference (Moire) patterns from the original's print.

IIRC, I scanned at 600 dpi to avoid minimise the effect. There are ways to reduce the moire in software, see here.

• 2 weeks later...