BRM March 2019

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Hello RMwebbers and welcome to the March 2019 issue of BRM, available now as a digital edition from www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm

Print copies hit the shelves on January 31.

On this Episode of BRM TV:

- Layout: 'Little Bytham' (OO) 1950s LNER
- Install DCC concepts working point rodding
- Build an etched brass telephone kiosk
- We examine a Buckeye coupling

BRM_DVD_Jacket_March new.jpg

In this issue:

Contents.jpg

LAYOUTS
- Little Bytham (OO)

Little Bytham.jpg

- Jubilee Road Wagon Works (OO)

Jubilee Road.jpg

- Wormhill (N)

Wormhill.jpg

- Campbell's Quarry (16mm)

campbells quarry.jpg

PRACTICAL BRM
- Build a laser-cut terraced house

Laser-cut kit.jpg

- Make an MXA 'Lobster' wagon

Lobster Wagon.jpg

- Scratch-build in plastic

scratchbuild in plastic.jpg

- How to 3D print at home

PRODUCTS, FEATURES AND REVIEWS

- Layout Planning: Langwith Wagon Works

Langwith Wagon Works.jpg

- Prototype Inspiration: The MXA 'Lobsters'

- The Evolution of... Making Model Trains
- Review: Hornby TTS Ventilated Van

Hornby van.jpg

- Review: Revolution Trains TEA wagon

pTEA wagon.jpg

- Prototype Inspiration: TEA wagons
- Review: IRM Tara Mines wagon

IRM.jpg

- Review: Cavalex PGA hopper

LEAD.jpg

- Prototype Inspiration: PGA hoppers
- Tail Lamp: Simon Kohler on his return to Hornby

Available now as a digital edition from www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm. Print copies hit the shelves on January 31.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It'll be a '?'.

Hopefully people will like '?' and put them to use!

Had a quick scan through this afternoon - looks like another excellent edition with a strong balance of things I want to read when time allows, thank you all.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• Administrators

Saw copies on sale in WH Smiths with an extra, models of the BRM team to paint and put on your layout. I’m hoping my subscription copy (the paper version) will have them.

That was last month. Subs copies had the DVD as discussed at length in the thread for that issue.

• RMweb Gold

They'd have to be wider for EM and P4.

Seriously though, *some* buyers wouldn't instinctively know what scale 4mm/ft is whereas they do recognise what 'scale' OO is comparatively.

I've ordered one - I'll see how wide it is when it arrives.

• RMweb Gold

I'd have waited until the newsstand copies come out next week with a '?' on the cover. ;)

You don't have to buy just one copy!

Pfft - took me almost 4 weeks to find one with the 4 Muskrats on the front !

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the Laser cut terraced house is designated as OO gauge, rather than 4mm/ft...

They'd have to be wider for EM and P4.

Seriously though, *some* buyers wouldn't instinctively know what scale 4mm/ft is whereas they do recognise what 'scale' OO is comparatively.

Yes - the same scale / gauge combo as used by a large percentage of the Brits who are into model railways - 4mm scale models on 3.5mm scale track.

Like a lot of compromises, it's not really ideal - but modelling in EM or P4 would involve a significant amount of work, as would modelling in HO like a lot of people in other countries.

I've ordered one - I'll see how wide it is when it arrives.

I'd have waited until the newsstand copies come out next week with a '?' on the cover. ;)

You don't have to buy just one copy!

Somehow, I suspect some visitors to the local WHS "reading room" might have a slightly different "take" on the last sentence.

Pfft - took me almost 4 weeks to find one with the 4 Muskrats on the front !

Meanwhile, I can imagine some of the people who purchase newsstand copies trying to work out "what the ?" to do with their figures from last month.

I wonder if any might find their way into a "cakebox" - for some reason, a couple of generic trainspotters waiting for the next arrival at a mixed scale "West Ashfield"* springs to mind (or perhaps not - who knows?).

(* In case anyone's wondering, any trainspotters there might be waiting a long time. According to certain sources, "West Ashfield" is a train station simulator, built into an upstairs floor of a large office building and used by TfL for staff training purposes. I've never been there myself - and I'm never likely to - but it's reputed to contain a cab from a 1983 tube stock DM, posed to make it look like a train's just about to enter the "station".)

Certainly, if I'd had more time right now, I might have been tempted to have a go at building something like this myself. As things stand right now, I think it's more a case of "mind the gap" - however, with these figures produced to varying scales (almost certainly not one standard railway modelling scale), I suspect they might be most useful in some sort of "forced perspective". With these figures being based on scans of real people, the basic proportions are likely to be OK - but there could still be something to be said for lightly modifying them to make them slightly more generic (even if we're only talking simple, potentially paint based, "mods" like different coloured hair or beards).

As for "West Ashfield", it is a simulator - and not somewhere most members of the public are ever likely to visit - which means that many people wouldn't be likely to know if a model had loads of details wrong. This allows for a certain amount of "modeller's licence" - and could make it easier to build something that might be regarded as credible.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Moderators

Just looking at the list of contents you have added for your excellent magazine - it looks like this month's theme is goods wagons?

Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes, largely influenced by Jubilee Road Wagon Works. Readers will find a cracking trackplan and artists' impression of a completed wagon repair centre, based on Langwith inside goods wagon, courtesy of an Ian Wilson/Stephen Rabone collaboration, whilst Michael Russell builds an MXA 'Lobster' from a Bachmann BDA. It's a 'loose' theme however, at the risk of putting off non-wagon aficionados, so not every feature is all about wagons! Worry not, if express locomotives are your thing, Little Bytham should please, if it's diesel locomotives, Wormhill is a worthy read and if it's smaller narrow gauge rolling stock that floats your boat, Campbell's Quarry with its working rustic dragline and excavator is firm favourite with exhibition punters.

Happy reading,

H

Picked up a copy yesterday but not had the chance to read it yet, looks like an interesting issue though. I believe there was some mention in 'Wright Writes' of the Little Bytham film being put on the Youtube channel at some point, is this still planned?