BRM March 2019

Howard Smith

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I believe there was some mention in 'Wright Writes' of the Little Bytham film being put on the Youtube channel at some point, is this still planned?

I'm supposed to be sorting that for Tony after the issue has gone off sale but I've been a bit busy.

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

Picked up a copy yesterday but not had the chance to read it yet, looks like an interesting issue though. I believe there was some mention in 'Wright Writes' of the Little Bytham film being put on the Youtube channel at some point, is this still planned?

Hi Daniel,

The content of BRMTV is exclusive to BRM subscribers and is one of the benefits of subscribing to the magazine, via print or digital. It won't be set live on Youtube free of charge by us.

Howard

• Moderators

Here's what you can expect on the March 2019 episode of BRM TV, exclusive to BRM digital or print subscribers:

Experience what it would have been like lineside at Little Bytham in 1958. In the studio, Phil Parker assembles an etched-brass telephone box, whilst Howard Smith chats with DCCconcepts' Richard Brighton before installing its new working point-rodding system to our project layout.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

Howard,

is it possible to buy extra terraced houses separate from the mag? I have the new issue but would like a few more houses to join together and buying up lots of magazines just seems very wasteful.

thanks

Dan

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/store/reader-offers/laser-cut-terraced-houses-kit-cd-first-edition/

Now I'm not going to tell you what you should do but... ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Whitcan said:

I do find it frustrating that subscribers miss out on all of these offers. Perhaps I will have to cancel my subscription and pick the magazine up from a local newsagents if it is worthwile. 

And you'd miss out on the DVD - those are subscriber only.

You can always buy the products stuck to the magazine, the DVDs are not for sale from us.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had a chance to find a print edition of BRM yet, as mostly I have to reply on supermarkets to get my issues, so was looking to purchase online. I can't figure out though if I buy a print edition online if I'll get the laser cut kit with it, the DVD (which I believe is for subscribers only) or nothing at all. Any help would be most appreciated :) 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Whitcan said:

I do find it frustrating that subscribers miss out on all of these offers. Perhaps I will have to cancel my subscription and pick the magazine up from a local newsagents if it is worthwile. 

How much did you pay for your subscriber offer? Did you receive any gift/offer when you took it out?

• RMweb Premium
On 26/01/2019 at 05:08, Huw Griffiths said:

As for "West Ashfield", it is a simulator - and not somewhere most members of the public are ever likely to visit - which means that many people wouldn't be likely to know if a model had loads of details wrong. This allows for a certain amount of "modeller's licence" - and could make it easier to build something that might be regarded as credible.

I didn't know that. Presumably it's located in Ashfield House at Lillie Bridge?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

How much did you pay for your subscriber offer? Did you receive any gift/offer when you took it out?

My gift was no longer available , brought a copy from W H Smiths with the laser cut kit , considering canceling subscription as always the subscriber misses out.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

as always the subscriber misses out.

No they don't, they get the DVD and they may have preferential rates and/or an initial gift.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree with those above, I find it very annoying to discover that people buying a copy in the shops have recieved the free figures last month and the buildings this month.  I may well cancel my subscription as a result.

Upsetting long term loyal subscribers while hoping to gain some new readers through such promotions is very bad practice. Indeed it makes sense for us subscribers to cancel our subscriptions and perhaps renew if/when some good offer is made to tempt people to subscribe.  

• Moderators

The benefits of subscription are guaranteed availability of the magazine through your door, a lower overall price which is guaranteed at a time when paper prices are increasing, dicounted tickets to any three of our shows, a copy of BRM TV each month and very often (certainly as long as I've been on the mag) a free gift which you receive when the subscription is taken out.

Our current subscription deals offer great value for money - perhaps we'll see some of you at our Doncaster show this weekend? A special offer awaits...

Howard

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

People buy a copy in a shop and get the free gifts (the figures and buildings would have been very useful to me) but existing subscribers don’t get them, while those starting a subscription  at a show get good offers,. People like me who have been a subscriber for quite some time do miss out and it is very annoying.  I would actually be better off cancelling my subscription, buy an issue in a shop only if it looked interesting, maybe subscribing again at a future date if there is a worthwhile offer. Maybe even take our a subscription for one of your competitors.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, ColinK said:

People buy a copy in a shop and get the free gifts (the figures and buildings would have been very useful to me) but existing subscribers don’t get them, while those starting a subscription  at a show get good offers,. People like me who have been a subscriber for quite some time do miss out and it is very annoying.  I would actually be better off cancelling my subscription, buy an issue in a shop only if it looked interesting, maybe subscribing again at a future date if there is a worthwhile offer. Maybe even take our a subscription for one of your competitors.

That is your choice of course Colin. To be picky the cover "gifts" are better described as "subsidised" as the cover price is higher for the newsstand copies. I think this price varies depending on the cover item?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ColinK said:

They may get the cheaper gifts, but as has been repeatedly said here - they do NOT get the DVD. Only subscribers receive this, it's one of the ways we look after those who stay loyal to the magazine.

• RMweb Gold

As I subscribe to the digital edition, could cancel my paper subscription and only buy when there is a free gift worth having. Easy to download the videos from the digital edition and then burn to DVD or memory stick 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

As I subscribe to the digital edition, could cancel my paper subscription and only buy when there is a free gift worth having. Easy to download the videos from the digital edition and then burn to DVD or memory stick 

Nothing wrong with that. I don't think many people subscribe to digital AND paper. You could then buy the "freebies" from World of Railways as you like.

• RMweb Gold

I am sure Phil and the rest of the BRM team get fed up every month with the same rants as seen above.  I certainly get fed up reading them.

Everyone has a choice.  Take the one that best suits what you want:

1. Buy from the supermarket/newsagent every month and pay a much higher cover price, but get a free gift.
  2. Take out a much cheaper subscription and receive a magazine posted to your home, along with a monthly DVD.  You will likely also get an introductory gift or very special rate.
  3. Take out an online subscription, being cheaper still, and get access to lots of online bonus video material.

Reading about your unhappiness over the choice you freely made, every month, is not what I come to RMWeb for.

Rant over :blush:

:drink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The fact that people keep complaining means there is a problem and its not being fixed, which is not good for BRM nor its readers.  To be successful in the long run a publication needs happy customers.

Anyway, I’ve had a good offline chat with BRM so I’ll say no more for now.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, 55020 said:

I am sure Phil and the rest of the BRM team get fed up every month with the same rants as seen above.  I certainly get fed up reading them.

Everyone has a choice.  Take the one that best suits what you want:

1. Buy from the supermarket/newsagent every month and pay a much higher cover price, but get a free gift.
  2. Take out a much cheaper subscription and receive a magazine posted to your home, along with a monthly DVD.  You will likely also get an introductory gift or very special rate.
  3. Take out an online subscription, being cheaper still, and get access to lots of online bonus video material.

Reading about your unhappiness over the choice you freely made, every month, is not what I come to RMWeb for.

Rant over :blush:

:drink_mini:

Perhaps I need to take a subscription.  That way I get the DVD, and I'm not paying extra to get a free gift which is of no use to me, as an N gauge modeller.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1