BRM March 2019

Howard Smith

I know we are going OT here but I believe the Hornby railcar has a revamped chassis with a modern motor.

There is a previous thread here which may be of use.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52263-Hornby-gwr-railcar/

Personally I would get a new one and look for a cheapish "dead" one as I reckon you only need one powered car.

Jason

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Cheapish dead ones aren't as common as you might think - I'm sure they are out there but for the moment, people seem to be hanging on to them.

A big problem is at the front end. Flush glazing the cab windows is very difficult, the Wills pack doesn't (in my experience) really fit and I've not tried Lazerglaze (when I looked at a project on this model, the set wasn't available).

My suspicion though, is that most readers will decide that they would be better off moaning in forums in an effort to persuade Heljan to produce the 2-car variant rather than getting their hands dirty and cutting up old models. It would be an interesting read (didn't Monty Wells do one years ago?) but better left to someone producing a model for themselves than investing a LOT of staff time in.  Mind you, having thought about it, this would be a lot of fun and if I didn't have bulging cupboards of other projects already, I could be tempted...

Edit: Having read the linked thread, Monty Wells DID do a conversion. I think I'd be more tempted by the Worsley etch though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of not moaning I really like this month's issue - lots of good articles to read across a wider range of topic areas than normal. Prototype inspiration is a good addition. Keep it going, 154 pages is about right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
20 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

At the risk of not moaning I really like this month's issue - lots of good articles to read across a wider range of topic areas than normal. Prototype inspiration is a good addition. Keep it going, 154 pages is about right.

Thanks for the good feedback - trying to give a little something for everyone and (spoiler alert) if you're in to prototype articles, sit tight, there's a new series coming soon which is looking really good (but then I would say that...)

H

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators

If you bought BRM March at the newsstand we gave away a free lasercut terraced house kit. Phil talks us through building one up. It's a simple basic kit which makes up into a decent shell to paint up and detail.

Have you made yours up yet? Show us how you got on with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1