Railways of the Western Region in the 1970s and 1980s.

Rivercider

Over the last few years I have uploaded quite a few of my photographs to various threads on RMweb,

many of them have attracted interest, as well as comment and additional information, for which I am grateful.

A number of my photographs will appear in my first book 'Railways of the Western Region in the 1970s and 1980s',

this is being published by Amberley Publishing, and is due to be released in March 2019.

post-7081-0-51716600-1548345597_thumb.jpg

The pictures in the book were taken by me between 1977 and 1986, with the majority taken in the early 1980s.

The photographic locations are from across the WR, 14 images from the London Division, 117 from the West of England Division, and 49 images from the South Wales Division.

cheers  

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 15

Thanks for the positive comments.

The pictures on the front cover of the book are of 47510 Fair Rosamund running into Newton Abbot in July 1982 with  Paddington to Paignton service, and 47536 at Carmarthen in June 1983 with a Swansea to Fishguard Harbour train. 

The rear cover features a DMU at Crediton.  

post-7081-0-01964700-1548604031_thumb.jpg

Class 118 set P462 at Crediton on an Exeter St Davids to Barnstaple service in October 1983,

cheers  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This looks like it will be an excellent publication. I assume it will incorporate all the detailed information you've managed to provide in your threads here. :D

Well done for getting it out promptly too. I've been waiting for Silver Link to publish their "Railfreight in Devon & Cornwall" book, it's well over a year later than originally stated :(

Edited by Ramblin Rich

Will the book be widely available in mainstream outlets (Smiths, Waterstones, etc.); or is it going to be mail order and local shops only? 

Hi Jonny

I am assuming the book will be generally available in Smiths and Waterstones outlets, Amberley asked me about my suggestions for their sales and marketing team.

I suggested to them Smiths and Waterstones outlets, particularly in the region covered by the book (ie the Western Region).

I had already noticed that Amberley books are stocked by Smiths and Waterstones particularly focusing on those with a local interest.

When compiling the book I purchased, for reference, a copy of 'Steam Around Bristol the final years' by Patrick O'Brien (Pobrien on RMweb) which was on sale locally at Waterstones in W-s-M.

Over Xmas I also purchased 'The Western Region in the 1970s and 1980s' by Andy Gibbs (acg5324 on RMweb) which was on sale in Waterstones in Bath (and I had seen it at the SDR at Buckfastleigh)

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2

This looks like it will be an excellent publication. I assume it will incorporate all the detailed information you've managed to provide in your threads here. :D

Well done for getting it out promptly too. I've been waiting for Silver Link to publish their "Railfreight in Devon & Cornwall" book, it's well over a year later than originally stated :(

Hi Rich

the book will be in a standard Amberley format of 180 photos, two photos per page, plus captions which run to 30-60 words per photo.

As well as details of the train shown I have tried to add some additional information to each caption where I can, though I would like to have written more about some of the photos.

I started work properly on the book in January 2018. Although it contains photos from across the WR there is a West Country bias, especially Devon,  

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

Good luck with the book, i'll search out a copy too! Always enjoyed your contributions to threads, so have high expectations for this.

They say the book industry is declining, but yet Amberley and Creacy seem to be rolling out more books than there are weeks in a month. Not sure what the print figures are in this day and age, but must be providing a suitable return. Long may it continue, I enjoy magazines on the iPad, but far prefer books to look at!

Rich

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the positive comments.

The release date for the book was this Friday (15 March 2019), but there were copies in my local Waterstones in Weston yesterday,

cheers 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...