VIX and other Ferry Vehicles to Italy

Spectacle Plate

Hi all,

There's a photo on the linked page showing a British Rail VIX / VJX ferry van in Italy attached to an ex-German 1930s shunter.

http://www.forum-duegieditrice.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=99375

Does anyone know what other British ferry vehicles (eg Hybars, tube wagons, vans, CCTs, weltrols, flatrols and earlier vehicles) were known to go that far away?

An old thread about ferry vans shows 'Fat Controller' might know about some, if he's about.

• Like 2

Hi all,

There's a photo on the linked page showing a British Rail VIX / VJX ferry van in Italy attached to an ex-German 1930s shunter.

http://www.forum-duegieditrice.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=99375

Does anyone know what other British ferry vehicles (eg Hybars, tube wagons, vans, CCTs, weltrols, flatrols and earlier vehicles) were known to go that far away?

An old thread about ferry vans shows 'Fat Controller' might know about some, if he's about.

Still about!

I encountered a 'Ferry Tube' at Modane, carrying parts for a UK-registered Polybulk. Another visit to the same site found a couple of Cartic-4s in the composition of a train of empty car-carriers.

At the Train-Ferry terminal in Dunkerque, I saw a couple of VDA vans; apparently, they were worked there under a special arrangement moving wagon sheets.

Interesting that there are images of former "Rover Cube" KSA over there in 2008 as well, does anyone know what traffic they were being used on at that point?

(Edit - the shots of the KSA appear to be 2008, which I think is after the Rover traffic had ceased....)

Edited by Glorious NSE

Interesting that there are images of former "Rover Cube" KSA over there in 2008 as well, does anyone know what traffic they were being used on at that point?

(Edit - the shots of the KSA appear to be 2008, which I think is after the Rover traffic had ceased....)

IIRC, it was the 'Alchopop' traffic from somewhere near Asti.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen a photo somewhere, probably on another Italian site, of a Southern Railway 12T box van in Italy, complete with air brakes. No idea where I saw it though, or the location in Italy.