Airfix 2D TSOs, still rare and expensive

MJI

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2019 at 20:26, newbryford said:

£40??

A quick perusal of sold listings shows a lot less than £40 - a Dapol TSO went for £7.49 a couple of days ago. 

3 x TSO and 1 x BSO didn't sell for £48 a couple of months back.

I've never paid more than £15 for a Airfix/Mainline/Dapol/Hornby TSO even when they were at the height of second hand popularity about 5-6 years ago.

My local shop often has them on the second hand shelf for £12.50 - £15.

As usual - they get chopped into yellow stuff.

I have a stock of about 6 or 8 TSOs and a couple less FOs and a few BSOs (for conversion to DBSO/RTOV) 

(There are only four ex FOs in yellow use and two of them have fully plated windows!)

As mentioned above, it's worth a search on second hand stalls at exhibitions for incorrectly boxed coaches.

In Airfix days, the same number of FO/BSO and TSOs were made - IIRC, it was a 5 figure number, hence the better availability of the FO and BSO as folks bought more TSO to make up a set.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Your model numbers produced are close for the FO and BSO.

When the great Airfix/GMR sell off happened we had a stock list showing quantities available.

From memory, even though thousands had been sold and held in stock, there were over 15000 FO, 20,000 BSO available.

We took 1000 of the BSO and 500 of the FO and stuck them away in the stock room along with a lot of other stuff. After discount they cost £0.75 each.

We were also selling wagons at £10.00 inc p&p for 5!.

Class 31 cost us £4.50 each!

SO was produced first under the GMR brand andf was the last new item released before they went under and went to Kader in lieu of debts.

Kader then passed them on to Mainline but only produced the SO as there was still so much of the old Airfix/GMR in stock.

Things became more complicated when Palitoy decided to sell everything to Dave Boyle - Dapol. 

Dapol never produced 90% of the Airfix/GMR range again, simply used up the existing stock The only coaches that came off the Dapol production line were the 12 wheeled diner and the Mk2 SO/TSO.

Thanks

Phil H

• Informative/Useful 4

Martin

see my thread on link below for some idea of cutting down the gangway

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139325-scotrail-198788-workbench/page/4/

25 August post for how I did it then if your scroll down there is a comparison picture on 4 October. I could perhaps take a little more off but limited by the back plate that fits in the coach end. See also Westie7 post on the same thread, he cuts out the end of the coach and then recesses the original gangway. If I was to start from scratch again on a Mk2d I would probably follow this method.

Cheers

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jono26 said:

Martin

see my thread on link below for some idea of cutting down the gangway

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139325-scotrail-198788-workbench/page/4/

25 August post for how I did it then if your scroll down there is a comparison picture on 4 October. I could perhaps take a little more off but limited by the back plate that fits in the coach end. See also Westie7 post on the same thread, he cuts out the end of the coach and then recesses the original gangway. If I was to start from scratch again on a Mk2d I would probably follow this method.

Cheers

Jonathan

Both techniques look usefull.

So that is 16 soon to be 18 for set WR CDEF and 12 for set ER 1D

So tempted to modify 1 and resin cast the 30 I need.

So had a look in my book and I reckon for non end simply lopping 1.5mm to 2mm off should work fine, 3 detailed, 27 chopped.

Got some Keen close couplers to fit as well.

My 2ABC sets though are getting Replica B4s as Lima are a bit weak looking,

Out of my first 6 sets, 1 complete, 1 75%, 1 50%, 2 third done 1 quarter done.

Currently a bit peed off as while glazing fitting I pinged off half the frames on one of my 2F FOs.

Also I forgot how much work to convert to 2F, but when the set goes 50 CDEFFEDEE, so far taken 3 FOs 3 BSOs 3 TSOs, and still need another TSO or 2xBSO.

Out of my big pile only 5 are only detailed.

1 2C BSO (BSO)

5 2D TSO

1 2D FK (FO)

1 2D BFK (BSO & FO)

1 2D TSOT (TSO)

3 2E TSO (2xTSO,2xBSO)

2 2F FO (FO)

2 sets and not a single out of box, even the Replica ER BG is B4'd air and flush. As to the ER buffet that was done over a year in the end.