E-class in N gauge - request for research materials

The Western Master

Greetings modellers

While the dreadnoughts project plods away (see separate thread), I am thinking about traction. I have my metrovick bo-bo in the works but I'd love an E-class (Met 1 for those who do not know the Metropolitan railway locomotive classifications). Now to produce a model in N gauge leads me to 2 options

1) heavily modifying a Dapol M7 as done by the late Clive Foxell for his layout 'Rickmansworth' (see Railway Modeller, July 2013) or

2) producing a 3d printed body to fit the M7 chassis.

In both cases, I think something besides photos will be needed to understand what needs to be done so the question is as follows.

Is there any layout drawings for the E-class which can provide a simple frame of reference from which a 3d model might be created?

As always, answers on a postcard please!

Thanks

Pete

• RMweb Premium

https://flic.kr/p/bnZvk3

Not the clearest sadly, and no idea of you can get hold of a better copy from the LT Museum. I'm sure I've got a copy of a drawing somewhere, as I like you, I'm planning an E class in N gauge. It'll be locked away in the shed if I have got it though! I remember buying an old Railway Modeller from Ebay for Met loco drawing, but I have a feeling that was for another loco.

If you can find it there was a Met locos issue of Locomotives Illustrated - I think it was 65, which has loads of views, but can't remember if they had dimensions.

Loco Profile No 10 had the details of most Met tanks. Unfortunately my copy was "borrowed" by someone, and never got returned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Snowdon has details of them - he managed to rescue lots of ex-Met drawings.

Also how about trying Quainton as Met 1 was/is based there, and I daresay they have detailed it.

Final thought - try Wills Finecast. They produce a nice 4mm E class model, so have probably got all the dimensions.

Ian Allan published their 'Surface Stock Planbook' which has a drawing of an E in it, although it is not 100% accurate on a couple of points. I thought I might have scanned a copy, but if I have, I can't find it. I do have a drawing for an F class, which would at least give you details above the running plate as the two classes were extremely similar (apart from the obvious issue of a different wheel arrangement). I don't know whose copyright my drawing is, so I won't post it here, but PM me if you want a copy and I'll send you one.

The Loco Profile booklet was only the A/B class - sorry had a bit of a brain fade.

The F class, although very similar to the E, was in fact nearly  1ft longer (my dad who used to drive F class locos for LT, used to call them the "big engines" when comparing them to the E class - I won't say what he called the panniers when they arrived :) ). I think the difference might be because the F class had a larger coal bunker.

However the boilers and cylinders were the same as the later E class (the earlier E class cylinders were 0.5 in smaller than the later ones - definitely won't be noticeable in 2mm scale!).

Some basic dimensions:

Overall Length 33ft (over buffers)

Footplate width  8ft 5in

Driving wheels 5ft 6in (wheelbase 7ft 5in)

Bogie wheels 3ft 9.5 inch

I have had a quick check, and reckon that the drawing of the E class in the article about Met liveries that was in BRM Jan 1998 is pretty well spot-on. , and you should be able to scale most dimensions from it. If you want I will copy the loco image as a PDF

On 2/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, RogerTE said:

The Loco Profile booklet was only the A/B class - sorry had a bit of a brain fade.

The F class, although very similar to the E, was in fact nearly  1ft longer (my dad who used to drive F class locos for LT, used to call them the "big engines" when comparing them to the E class - I won't say what he called the panniers when they arrived :) ). I think the difference might be because the F class had a larger coal bunker.

However the boilers and cylinders were the same as the later E class (the earlier E class cylinders were 0.5 in smaller than the later ones - definitely won't be noticeable in 2mm scale!).

Some basic dimensions:

Overall Length 33ft (over buffers)

Footplate width  8ft 5in

Driving wheels 5ft 6in (wheelbase 7ft 5in)

Bogie wheels 3ft 9.5 inch

I have had a quick check, and reckon that the drawing of the E class in the article about Met liveries that was in BRM Jan 1998 is pretty well spot-on. , and you should be able to scale most dimensions from it. If you want I will copy the loco image as a PDF

Thanks Roger, that'd be great

Edited by The Western Master
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...