Gwr tool van

Did they have tool vans that were converted (I think pythons)?
There are certainly brass ones available.

Khris

Update:

10 ton Covered Goods wagon convert to a Stores wagon. Brake gear seems to be the only difference from the drawings in:
Great Western wagons Plan book by Russell.

Edited by kandc_au

Hi Neil,

I know in your OP you were asking about vehicles for conversion, but I’m just checking you are aware of the CSP (former Haye) kit for the Mess & Tool Vans. Not sure of their current availability in 4mm, as the website only seems to refer to the Sans Pareil 7mm version. They make up into very nice models and were around £50 last time I saw them advertised.

Regards,

Andy.post-7049-0-11904500-1548604347_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Andy M

Hi Neil,

I know in your OP you were asking about vehicles for conversation, but I’m just checking you are aware of the CSP (former Hayes) kit for the Mess & Tool Vans. Not sure of their current availability in 4mm, as the website only seems to refer to the Sans Pareil 7mm version. They make up into very nice models and were around £50 last time I saw them advertised.

Regards,

Andy.attachicon.gifBB1E6770-7A5C-4295-817C-71CD20CF319D.jpeg

The kits are now owned by David Geen. With the impending release of the Bachmann kit, David and I have been discussing the possibility of a one off run of the kits.

The big question. How many will actually buy them??????

The price would be approximately £60 depending on metal prices at the time of the run.

Here is the etch.

post-9992-0-30513200-1548607256_thumb.jpg

The castings have not been run but the molds are in excellent condition. I have already made up enough casting packs from stock to make up six kits.(I have done the same with the dreadnoughts and E78 if anyone is interested)Note the side doors are castings not etches.

let me know and I will see if it is worthwhile putting a run on.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

Thanks for the update Mike. I did wonder what had become of the etches following Roger’s passing.

I’m not in the market myself for another set, but if the 6-wheel version was to materialise, that would be another matter.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

As well as the Haye tool vans above (note, the £60 would be for both the vans I presume, as it was when sold by CSP?), you could also consider kit bashing the Ratio 4 wheel coaches.

Yes does anyone have a Photo or could help me with my investigation into the  Newton abbot 15 ton crane tool van I believe this was a small 4 wheeled Coach like the one ratio produce? 

Kind regards Neil 

17 hours ago, B15nac said:

Yes does anyone have a Photo or could help me with my investigation into the  Newton abbot 15 ton crane tool van I believe this was a small 4 wheeled Coach like the one ratio produce? 

Kind regards Neil 

Hi Neil,

Like with most things relating to Newton Abbot Shed, images of the breakdown vehicles are scant.

During the BR(W) period the Mess Van was No.103, a 4-wheeler built in 1938 to Lot.1302. The Tool Van was originally No.114, a six-wheeler built in 1904 to Lot.446. This was replaced in 1953 by No.141, a four-wheeler built in 1908 to Lot.579. Included are a few images I have of these vehicles at Newton, the colour image of No.103 shows off well the plain black livery and yellow lettering they carried in BR days. The image of No.114, although from GW days, shows it with 36-ton Ransomes & Rapier Crane No.3.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Tool Van 114.jpg

Newton Abbot Mess & Tool Vans.jpg

Mess Van 103.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Andy that is a great help an some excellent pictures. I did once see a photograph of a mess van on the scrap line at Newton abbot with condemned on the side. I cant seem to find it now but it was a 4 wheeled coach in black that I believe ended up on the south devon railway? I may be wrong tho. 

Kind regards Neil 

Neil,

A few more snippets that may be of assistance. The 6-wheel Tool Van No.114 is identical to No.112 that Dave photographed at the Severn Valley above. Newton Abbot's Tool Van No.141 survives, also at the Severn Valley. There is an identical vehicle, No.146 at the South Devon Railway, which I know is closer to you.

Regarding using the Haye Developments etches to represent these vehicles, the Tool Van is perfect for building No.141, but the Mess Van requires a bit more work. As it was a later build, No.103 features a sheet metal body rather than the vertical planking of the earlier vehicles (as represented by the kit). On my model of No. 103, I took the laborious decision to fill the planking groves! This literally took me days, and in hindsight I should have just fabricated new bodysides.

Still, together with my 36-ton Ransome & Rapier Crane, they make a lovely little cameo. I am just waiting for Brassmasters to finally put out their etched detailing kit for the Cowan Sheldon 15-ton Crane (D&S Models kit) and I can add No.8, and complete the Newton Abbot breakdown train roster for 1958.

Regards,

Andy.

Edited by Andy M
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's great news put me down for a kit. I'm about to start building a d&s Crane so These tool vans will hopefully come just at the right time. I spoke to brassmaster last week an was told maybe the end of This year for the kit to turn the crane kit in to a GWR version. 

Kind regards Neil 

‘Maybe’ is the key word in that statement Neil. The Brassmasters Cowan Sheldon conversion/detail kit has been a very protracted gestation. Still, they say patience is a virtue, and I’m sure it will be worth the wait!

• Agree 1

On 06/02/2019 at 12:19, Coach bogie said:

David Geen has agreed to produce a small run of these kits. I am going over next week to sort out the castings. I will report back when ther is some progress.

Mike Wiltshire

Just caught up with this thread. I'd definitely be up for a kit too.

On 06/02/2019 at 12:19, Coach bogie said:

David Geen has agreed to produce a small run of these kits. I am going over next week to sort out the castings. I will report back when ther is some progress.

Mike Wiltshire

I would be interested in buying two kits, if possible (assuming that as in the old days each kit is one tool van and one riding van, so four in total).

I don't suppose anyone knows a source for a couple of the old Blacksmith Models 62'6" bogie mess/tool vans? Coopercraft lists them but unfortunately takes your money but doesn't supply anything in return.

Edited by craneman

I will be going over to David's next week (1/2 term) to sort castings etc. Just been talking with him, and he is keen to put a run on. The tools are now local and castings could be produced, weather permitting, if necessary.

The ex Blacksmith tool van has been available etches only at shows in the past from Coopercraft.

Mike Wiltshire