Gwr tool van

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2019 at 22:47, Coach bogie said:

I will be going over to David's next week (1/2 term) to sort castings etc. Just been talking with him, and he is keen to put a run on. The tools are now local and castings could be produced, weather permitting, if necessary.

The ex Blacksmith tool van has been available etches only at shows in the past from Coopercraft.

Mike Wiltshire

Any update,  on the Van's?

There are enough castings for two vans. On has benn accounted for a someone on here managed to get hold of David direct.

I have additional castings for further 4, without axleboxes. David is trying to source these. The tools are still in Darlington and should include the axleboxes so the problem will be solved. David is going to order enough etching  for 6 pairs to get started. If and when the tools arrive, should the molds for the doors are there then more vans can be run off.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep everyone up to date, David is going to put on a run. Unfortunately his wife has been back in hospital for the last couple of weeks and railways are not happening until she come home. The axlebox shortage has been solved, instructions have been printed up and 6 kits can be made up quite quickly. I just need David to order the etches and then they will be available quite quickly.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I take it I’ve missed the boat on these?

No. Until David orders the etches, the kits cannot be put together. I am in London at the moment so I cannot get an update until I return north.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

No. Until David orders the etches, the kits cannot be put together. I am in London at the moment so I cannot get an update until I return north.

Mike Wiltshire

Look forward to hearing more. 

I would definitely like one, even if I don’t know when I will end up getting a crane to got with them.  Best get it while it’s available!

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

Starting off a old topic again sorry. I've managed to get hold of these tool an mess vans an I'm after a bit of help as to what they would of looked like in the late 1950's. I guess black all over but what words would of been on them just there numbers in yellow? I see the Newton abbot one had newton abbot written in yellow on the side near one end. Any help or advice would be appreciated 

Kind regards Neil 

DSC_1132.JPG

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2019 at 15:30, Andy M said:

Hi Neil,

Like with most things relating to Newton Abbot Shed, images of the breakdown vehicles are scant.

During the BR(W) period the Mess Van was No.103, a 4-wheeler built in 1938 to Lot.1302. The Tool Van was originally No.114, a six-wheeler built in 1904 to Lot.446. This was replaced in 1953 by No.141, a four-wheeler built in 1908 to Lot.579. Included are a few images I have of these vehicles at Newton, the colour image of No.103 shows off well the plain black livery and yellow lettering they carried in BR days. The image of No.114, although from GW days, shows it with 36-ton Ransomes & Rapier Crane No.3.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Tool Van 114.jpg

I had completely forgotten about this photo of Newton Abbot until I saw it in Western Times while flicking through issue 1 this morning, very useful given I was looking for confirmation as to what I would need for a tool van to partner 103.  I am in the process of drawing up some 3d printed scratch building aids based on the drawings in Atkins et al, would be interested to know if the basic dimensions for length / width/height are approximately the same between the 4 wheel version and the 6 wheel.  At a glance it looks pretty close (with differences in the door design and handrails), I want to adapt my drawing accordingly...

E9EF04B3-4228-49FF-9360-979923623431.jpeg.1a68a3e2428917649f10216a45bf83d9.jpeg  

Edited by The Fatadder

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I had completely forgotten about this photo of Newton Abbot until I saw it in Western Times while flicking through issue 1 this morning, very useful given I was looking for confirmation as to what I would need for a tool van to partner 103.  I am in the process of drawing up some 3d printed scratch building aids based on the drawings in Atkins et al, would be interested to know if the basic dimensions for length / width/height are approximately the same between the 4 wheel version and the 6 wheel.  At a glance it looks pretty close (with differences in the door design and handrails), I want to adapt my drawing accordingly...

E9EF04B3-4228-49FF-9360-979923623431.jpeg.1a68a3e2428917649f10216a45bf83d9.jpeg  

Hi Rich,

Glad you found this earlier post and my article in Western Times of use. No.103 was a one off replacement for a fire damaged vehicle and Swindon took the opportunity to clad it with sheet metal rather than wooden planks, making it unique in that regard. It’s sister vehicle was No.114 during your modelling period, later replaced by No.141 in BR(W) days.

I would be interested in obtaining one of your 3-D prints if possible please and if I can be of any further help please shout.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

DB2A5494-4A44-4000-B9B6-B7C4ABC62380.jpeg.27b8b2859e6d55bb969d6eaa8f0b1c96.jpegimage.png.1406f6afe0bed9f6e0505ac39934f0af.png

image.png.9ba9bcb0aad47bf170db2aee687df7b6.png

The current progress on the two vans (previously shown on my workbench), still a lot of detail to be added with about half the rivets missing on the underframe still needing to be added.   Will be doing some test prints this evening to see how much finer I can make the planks.  Any glaring omissions or errors please be critical, they may already be in my to do list (like the missing panel gap between the buffer beam and the end on 103 or the missing rivets on the solbar) I'd much rather be told something I already know than miss something.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Are fitting gas lighting pipework as separate fittings? Many of the preserved ones have had them removed.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhj100a.htm

Some of the two window ends had three  footsteps, each side.

Looking good.

Mike Wiltshire

I haven’t started on the gas pipe work yet, it was one of those features that I was hoping would be gone by the 40s so I wouldn’t have to!

I am going to add the lamps first (once I find a clear enough image to work from, or remember where I’ve put some  castings to compare against.) The actual pipe work is a good question as to whether it’s best to print as part of the body or add later from brass wire.

I hadn’t seen that image as part of my research so far, probably the clearest view of the roof I’ve seen.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This is pretty much it on 103, I still have some rework to do on the planked version which can wait until after I have test printed the steel sided version and ran the test print for the plank gaps.

image.png.d828341a9fff93ad71daf1474af66754.png

Buffers are more for show, as is the yellow footstep unit (the intention for both parts would be using off the shelf products rather than printing).  Roof vents are my drawing (again to be tested) I am unsure as to whether these will print well enough, so it may well be a case of using Comet / MJT castings instead.)  Likewise, the gas lamp bits are currently shown as part of the print which will be included as part of the print if it works.

I have left off the associated pipework for the moment with the logic being that its a lot easier to add from brass rod than to add to the drawing (and will probably look better to boot.)

image.png.2394b4928e881bfb465b2c7540913dc7.png

The tool van is a little further behind in that I have yet to start on the bespoke changes to make 114, however the drawing for the 4 wheel van is nearer to completion.  More rivets are needed on the underframe, while the body needs a little more framing / reinforcement plates adding (the next job).  

• Like 5

• 1 year later...