Awesome Controller Idea, Anyone Tried This?

I don't know but maybe we should all go back to DC control??

Taken from "www.livescience.com"

Many of the most-threatened elements, meanwhile, are being used to manufacture tech-heavy devices like computers and smartphones. Indium, for example, is a silvery metal used to create touch screens for phones and computers. According to Cole-Hamilton, the world's indium supply is "extremely thinly spread" across the planet and could soon dry up if we continue chucking out our old devices every few years.

"In the U.K. alone, 1 million smartphones are exchanged every month," Cole-Hamilton told Marketplace. "If we use [indium] at the rate we continue to use it, the amount in the reserves is only enough for another 20 years."

Sorry Graham, the controller does look like a lot of fun! I'll stick with DC for now though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Odd. A gaming pad is design for rapid switching between, and simultaneous usage of, the various controls. I'm not of the opinion that we need such a thing for controlling a train as most of the time we use two controls - power and braking. Their simultaneous use is uncommon and they're not (generally) rapidly switched between.

Regarding Indium (and other precious metals, and plastics, and in fact pretty much anything), we really just need to get our act together with collecting and recycling.

Edited by Ian J.

"Alexa, reverse direction of every DCC decoder currently operating".

"I'm sorry, but that is not possible. Try another request" . . . 

Edited by JJGraphics

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, but that is not possible. Try another request. And don't ask me to sort the bl**dy Middle East out!

"Alexa, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that".

(I seem to be muddling my sci-fi references)

• RMweb Gold

I take my hat off to the modellers who have the ability to automate many operations in their projects; we have some extremely clever people within our fraternity and all credit must go to them.

Modern advances have revolutionised many aspects of our lives. Within our topic, who could have ever foreseen the tremendous flexibility that DCC has brought to the hobby?

However, for many, the rate of modern progress produces one steep learning curve after another to surmount.

It can just sometimes appear that many technological innovations to which we are continuously confronted in life have been developed just "because they can".

• Like 2

It can just sometimes appear that many technological innovations to which we are continuously confronted in life have been developed just "because they can".

I really agree with that view.

I employ technology here at home where it can be helpful and make life easier for both of us, but don't see the need for things like "smart" kettles which you turn on with your phone . . . what's wrong with walking out into the kitchen and switching it on (and getting a little exercise whilst doing so)?

I feel the same way about layout automation. No doubt for some it re-creates the experience of train watching in the real world, but I really enjoy driving my trains and doing a bit of shunting. Layout automation would take that pleasure away from me as I would just become a spectator . . .

John

...It can just sometimes appear that many technological innovations to which we are continuously confronted in life have been developed just "because they can".

This is very true, and a good thing. Leave the creatives to play as unfettered as possible, and the customers to sort out which of their innovations are not solutions looking for problems, but possess immediate utility.

• RMweb Premium

I can see where the OP is coming from, these clip on wireless gamepad things paired with a mobile phone are very popular with those younger folk who have the eyesight to see the screen so why not use them as a controller for DCC as well. I had a bachman DCC thing for a while, just couldn't get on with the little joystick thing and hated the fact that it was an IR link and had to be pointed at the base station, at least the phone thing gets round that. 

I too am dubious about the IOT (internet of things) and the levels of automation predicted. Marketing tells us it will be wonderful, our smart homes will be controllable from anywhere via the internet from our smart devices. Hmm. Our smart devices? Someone else  smart devices ? The company that made the devices smart server through which the commands pass one way and the data the other ? The Governments computer which has access to the companies server data and the encryption key in all those IOT devices ?

Much as I agree with JJ that a kettle with a switch is cheap and simple it does depend on the Smart meter that we are all getting not switching all your electricity off just as you want a cuppa. Which of course would be when the electricity supplier or the government decides you don't.

Still, my layout is DC so I could run trains from a battery. Hang up a couple of oil lamps for light. Might even add to the Edwardian atmosphere of it all...... 

• Like 1

. . . it does depend on the Smart meter that we are all getting not switching all your electricity off just as you want a cuppa. Which of course would be when the electricity supplier or the government decides you don't.

Simple answer: don't get a smart meter; you don't have to, and they are a PITA.

John