Are Windhoff MPV’s still in service?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if the Windhoff MPV’s are still in service as not seen any working for years. Are they now restricted to certain areas or workings, or have they now been stored/withdrawn?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see five or so of them every day in Totton (Hampshire) Yard having their tanks refilled. I assume they are are on third rail de-icing duties.

I’ve seen pictures of them at Tonbridge as well, so is it safe to assume that there now used mainly on 3rd rail areas?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On Wessex Region Autumn leaf fall jetting, Winter de-icing, Summer weed spraying.

I think there are some as part of electrification trains too but rarely seen out and about as much of it is done in the dark.

• Like 1

They appear on the Merseyrail network. I think that the ones we see here are based at Wigan.

Last year I saw something that I've always assumed must happen, but which I'd never personally witnessed before: an MPV running through Moorfields station (which is basically a tube station). That was... loud.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of them about.

Use MPV RHTT as a search on flickr and advanced search with a date from say 1/9/18

They turn up my way about once a year on weedkilling duty. (My RHTT is loco hauled)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The one word answer to the original question is unfortunately!

These things are horrible over complex for what the need to do and an absolutely horrendous ride, oh and have tendency to overheat as soon as the look at a hill with the sun shining

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Because I have a Bachmann model of one with a Network Rail patch and had it sound fitted, I’m glad to hear their still about but I was wondering if they appear in the Peterborough area? Not just Peterborough but along the joint line, the Midland line to Melton Mowbray, the line towards March as well the ECML.

• 6 months later...

Plenty of Windhof MPV units to be seen at Tonbridge Yard south of the station,  for OTM plant they ride quite well,  some units have two engines, other four, and they do overheat due to debris such as dried leaves blocking air flow to the coolers

Edited by Pandora

On 26/01/2019 at 18:53, jools1959 said:

Because I have a Bachmann model of one with a Network Rail patch and had it sound fitted, I’m glad to hear their still about but I was wondering if they appear in the Peterborough area? Not just Peterborough but along the joint line, the Midland line to Melton Mowbray, the line towards March as well the ECML.

Currently one sit on Peterborough fuel point as we speak !!

Not sure what its up to though probably weed feeding

Edited by berwicksfinest

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, berwicksfinest said:

Currently one sit on Peterborough fuel point as we speak !!

Not sure what its up to though probably weed feeding

Yes, it’s DR98909+DR98959 and got a great picture of it.

• RMweb Gold

DR98905, which should be paired with DR98955, was out on 12th August 2019 approaching Brighouse working 3Z12, 10.57 Knottingley TMD to Wigan LIP.  Probably a positioning move after some work at Knottingley to get the MPV 'back to base' ready for the start of the RHTT season next month.

1763217735_DR989053Z12Brighouse12082019-RMweb.jpg.fe3ddac0924ecd16efac22573422cfbe.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 4