Longmoor Military Railway Tender Lettering

Squid

Hello I want to put the letters L M R on an  OO gauge tender. The nearest font and colour I can find is LNER yellow. However, modelmaster and fox only seem to offer waterslide decals for LNER with numbers and onlt the four letters LNER. So I need an M and was hoping that I could buy a general lettering decal sheet in yellow to get two copies of LMR. Any ideas?  Andy

It depends which locomotive and at what date. 

When there were Sappers trained as "Painter and Decorator" tradesmen, there were taught basic sign writing  but after 1965 a civilian tradesman did it. There were also subtle changes in style between individual tradesmen. The most noticeable difference was the letter M where the central vee was normally written to the full depth but sometimes it was only half depth. The latter is the style in Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL161. This style was used on the tender of WD601 in 1952.

The full depth vee can be seen in my photo of WD400 in August 1964 when I was on my CCF course.

post-11270-0-94279500-1548539392_thumb.jpg

Tony

• Like 1

It depends which locomotive and at what date. 

When there were Sappers trained as "Painter and Decorator" tradesmen, there were taught basic sign writing  but after 1965 a civilian tradesman did it. There were also subtle changes in style between individual tradesmen. The most noticeable difference was the letter M where the central vee was normally written to the full depth but sometimes it was only half depth. The latter is the style in Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL161. This style was used on the tender of WD601 in 1952.

The full depth vee can be seen in my photo of WD400 in August 1964 when I was on my CCF course.

attachicon.gifWD400 Aug 1964.jpg

Tony

Thanks Tony Your information is just what I needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...