I Went To An Exhibition This Today

Victor Vectis

I went to an exhibition in the south of england today (guess which one?)

There were:

Men who pushed.

Men who though their iPhone recording was more important than other people looking.

Men who stood in the aisles getting in the way of everybody else.

Men with excited children.

Men with bored looking (female) partners.

Men with personal freshness problems.

But there was Campbells Quarry too, which made the trip all worthwhile (even if the sandboxes on the Simplex are the wrong way around)

Edited by Andy Y
Inappropriate content removed

• RMweb Premium

I never made it inside due to parking hassles, not helped by some pillock double parking in the narrow access road from the front to rear car parks, preventing access to the latter ho hum. I shall try again tomorrow hopefully!

I went to an exhibition in the south of england today (guess which one?)

There were:

Men who pushed.

Men who though their iPhone recording was more important than other people looking.

Men who stood in the aisles getting in the way of everybody else.

Men with excited children.

Men with bored looking (female) partners.

Men with personal freshness problems.

I too went to a show today; NOT the show mentioned above.

The people you describe, can be encountered in all walks of life, not just at model railway shows .

But, just like you, each and every one of those you mentioned above, paid good money to get into the show.

Their money is as good as yours.

Their money, like yours keeps a club ( or clubs ) afloat, which is the only place some members get to model.

I'll try to ignore your potentially abusive / insulting comment about "trannies".

Brian R

Edited by Andy Y
Quoted element removed
  • Like 2

I also went to an exhibition today.

I found two of the above, (it was busy when I arrived, and there were quite a few young families present).

I also found good modelling, good conversation, and good company,

cheers

• Like 4

I never made it inside due to parking hassles, not helped by some pillock double parking in the narrow access road from the front to rear car parks, preventing access to the latter ho hum. I shall try again tomorrow hopefully!

We also had to give up though the car that was parked on the wrong side appeared to have some evidence that others had not managed to avoid it

Like you may try again tomorrow

Colin

• Like 1

Parking was difficult, there is on-street parking in the area however, I managed to  find somewhere to park in quite nearby. 

It was a very good exhibition and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

To be honest I was too busy to notice the points made in the OP so I cant comment.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Funny, but I was at that exhibition too and you forgot to mention

* the flatulent overweight old git

* the potty-mouthed herbert behind one of the layouts

* the loon who heard his football team had equalised in a crucial top of the table match

but don't worry, I'm back there tomorrow

Disgusting of Market Harborough

I bet you were floating on air after hearing about the goal.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

I'm another one who tried to go this show, but had to give up because of the lack of parking.

I arrived on Sunday morning at around 1100 and there was no parking space available on any of the surrounding local roads, even going quite a way from the college site.

Obviously the on site car parks were chockablock.

I cruised around for a good 29 minutes before giving up completely.

I, too, arrived at 11:00 on Saturday and found that the streets opposite were full.  I found plenty of parking space on the roads just under half a mile back towards the motorway.  A great show and lots of young families present. I would have gone on Sunday, when it is always much quieter, but I was otherwise busy then.

Mick

I went to an exhibition yesterday afternoon.

The car parks were full, but with patience a few parking places appeared.

The hall was full of visitors.

Generally speaking, every one demonstrated good manners.

Just the occasional ruck sack.

Met and chatted with friends, one of whom had come from up north.

Purchased most of the items I was after.

Spoke with traders who were polite and friendly.

Had a coffee and cake in a largish seating area.

All in all an enjoyable couple of hours.

Gordon A

• Like 1

I went to an exhibition in the south of england today [loads of babyish intolerant stuff]

the sandboxes on the Simplex are the wrong way around

Sometimes I wonder about getting out of this hobby altogether.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I too went to a show today; NOT the show mentioned above.

The people you describe, can be encountered in all walks of life, not just at model railway shows .

But, just like you, each and every one of those you mentioned above, paid good money to get into the show.

Their money is as good as yours.

Their money, like yours keeps a club ( or clubs ) afloat, which is the only place some members get to model.

I'll try to ignore your potentially abusive / insulting comment about "trannies".

Brian R

I went to your exhibition on Saturday and saw none off the above. Parking was a little difficult but generally Ok, and everyone was courteous, no pushing, no rudeness, no rucksacks and just the one bored lady (you know who I mean). Generally due to the popularity of her husband and his propensity to talk to all and sundry! All children who visited were well behaved and no personal hygiene problems.

All in all a very pleasant day out. But I do know of some of the problems spoken about but to have them all in one go is a little unlucky. I realise I have probably spoken too soon as the next show I go to I'll get a full house.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

By your nom-de-plume, I'd guess pretty much correctly where you went. You should have had an inkling when you got on the ferry.

I also went to an exhibition on the day.

Lots of excited children

lots of rucksacks,

Lots of big coats.

But, guess what? They all got on with it. Todays excited children are tomorrows modellers, so you need to keep the perspective.

The rucksack population were very minded about how they manoeuvred around the show. I talked to a friendly exhibitor whom very kindly allowed me to 'park' my big coat under his exhibit (Thanks, Danemouth). One less thing for the friendly hordes to worry about.  

I'd guess some are too tight to pay to leave a coat & rucksack in the coat lobby. If not, it's an opportunity to improve next year.

In fact, so bad was my time at the exhibition this time around, I  had to be dragged away, because the amount of friends & acquaintances I bumped into would have kept me a good several hours or more.

Takes all sorts, I guess.

Happy Squeezing & farting,

Ian.

• Like 1

I went to the same exhibition and really enjoyed it. I was impressed by the standard of modelling, parking was tight but we found a spot, we went on the Sunday and I can’t say I noticed any rucksack bashers or smelly people.

I would have liked somewhere to leave my coat but otherwise a thumbs up from me.

I dropped my scarf in the car park on the way out. Some kind person handed it in and it ended up in the college lost property department. A kind lady there is posting it back to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, bragging, I went to the exhibition on both days. I had absolutely no problem parking in one of the nearby streets and only walked 50 metres at the most from the car to the entrance. There are no restrictions on parking at the week-end in the streets nearby. It was understandably popular on Saturday and but I still thoroughly enjoyed my first visit. Good and varied trade support and I came away with a couple of excellent books and some kits I had not seen before. Living in the Borough it is nice to go back and have a second bite at the cherry. I was particularly impressed with the 00 layouts Fawley, Loftus Road and Redbridge Wharf and with the N layout St Ruth.

It was good to see many families visiting and clearly enjoying themselves, even if they do not get hooked on the hobby it reduces the average age of visitors!

Like others on here it also provided me with the opportunity to catch up with some old friends and fellow modellers, a very good value event IMHO.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with excited youngsters ,future of the hobby

And board wives ,well they can lump it .

when they go shopping and we end up going round a thousand shops only to go back to first and pick first thing they looked at ,I think it’s only right we drag them round exhibitions lol

Brian

Edited by Bri.s