Micro diorama ( Goods Point )

This is my first attempt building a micro diorama and anything to do with railway modelling. I will be using a scalemodels 400mm x 200mm diorama board and OO gauge track. The theme is around a small part of a coal and goods yard. I will be using a stick for shunting on and off the diorama.The items I will be using are:

Peco right point

Peco track

Plastic stone wall sheeting

Yard office

Bachmann 08 shunted

2 plank wagons

The walled section of the diorama will have a dirt road and a landrover situated on the top.

Edited by Stu70
  • Like 2

Hi!

Sounds good, but all this on 200mm x 200mm?

Surely the area is bigger?

I wish you a lot of fun and success!

Regards, Thomas

Thomas it’s going to be interesting. I know there is not going to be a lot of room for more track once the point is in place. But I plan to build it so it comes together nicely.
  • Like 1

May I suggest you replace the RH point by a small radius Y version.  This will gain you vital space in your diorama for display wagons etc.

Thanks for the advice I may take you up on your advice. Every little bit of help is great.

Looks good, can't wait to see more.

Jerry.

Jerry thanks for the kind words. Can I ask will a Y point be better idea than my original right hand point. I ask this as I’m new to this.

Hi Stu70.

A Y point will give you a bit more space but if your happy stick with the right hand ( save a few quid too ), also a Y point will give you two sweeping curves whilst a right hand gives you a straight and a sweeping curve ( if that makes any sense ).

Jerry.

Hi Stu70.

A Y point will give you a bit more space but if your happy stick with the right hand ( save a few quid too ), also a Y point will give you two sweeping curves whilst a right hand gives you a straight and a sweeping curve ( if that makes any sense ).

Jerry.

Jerry your explanation makes a lot of sense and it’s a great help.

A small update. I have now gone with the 400 x 200 diorama board as it makes sense to have room for 1 or 2 wagons in the sidings. This will make shunting easier but I will also incorporate a stick as I was going to do in the original plan.

Just waiting for baseboard to arrive and I’m off to Shildon on Thursday to visit the museum and treat myself to a new Bachmann network rail 08 loco and few other goodies.:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A small update. I have now gone with the 400 x 200 diorama board as it makes sense to have room for 1 or 2 wagons in the sidings. This will make shunting easier but I will also incorporate a stick as I was going to do in the original plan.

Just waiting for baseboard to arrive and I’m off to Shildon on Thursday to visit the museum and treat myself to a new Bachmann network rail 08 loco and few other goodies. :)

A wise choice to increase the baseboard size Stu.

Happy shopping at Shildon, hope you get some good bargains.

All the best

Mark

Progress is slow due to decorating. However I have managed to fit the doors windows and glazing to the houses. The stone wall is starting to take shape, which will have a grassed embankment behind it. 

6A1EC68A-5FE4-488C-B248-55F5172D0A4F.jpeg.9d0215ce86a02144b75ded1785e492c7.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi everyone I have had some spare time today to build an office and some coal straithes. The buffer stops are in place and as you can see I’m in the process of making individual rooms in the two houses. As always a picture of my work today.

4526A817-3D29-4C2E-9BE6-DEF711E2E537.jpeg.8aa7aac03d0d1dd2d973bc600ba801ef.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi everyone I have managed to model some more on my layout today. The sky has been hand painted with a few different colours and it’s turned out great. 

The embankment has been sculpted with strips of kitchen towel and PVA glue. The buffer stops are in place but they still need a little weathering. 

Today I put the mortar colour onto the houses which needs to dry before dry brushing brick red.  A couple of pictures of my progress.

87D045F9-9FDA-4399-82F9-6BA91819B455.jpeg.b229d246df3e86d6431e1ff2a5b7341a.jpeg2E2476ED-7AB4-426A-8C07-D158889471B4.jpeg.45162e83692e6c00e27b9b7efbbce264.jpeg

• Like 3