ianmacc

EKO relaunched their historic range of model vehicles in 1:86 scale again a year or two ago after the previous owner had a devastating fire. Thankfully the moulds survived. Even as a child in the 80s these were inferior to the West German offerings from the likes of Herpa. They were, however, about a third of the price so very common on my layouts as they offered U.K. cars such as the Rover P5 and there were no 00 offerings back then.

Interesting that they are much improved within the limitations of the original tooling with much more care on assembly and detailing. Prices now though are a lot steeper and not far off Wiking etc.

The old Anguplas etc. moulds still in use 50+ years later! Similar to Dapol with Kitmaster...

Just thought it may be useful for perspective modelling...

post-34390-0-55599800-1548554890_thumb.jpeg

post-34390-0-19022900-1548554898.jpeg

post-34390-0-08594400-1548554906.jpeg

post-34390-0-09668400-1548554916_thumb.jpeg

post-34390-0-78791900-1548554924.jpeg

post-34390-0-49552100-1548554933.jpeg

post-34390-0-66225700-1548554952.jpeg

• Like 1

`I still have a few of the original models. They've been sitting in a drawer for years and I'd almost forgotten them. With a little careful repainting they don't look too bad.

Edited by Les Bird

They do the Zephyr, Consul, P5, MG-A, Jaguar Mk10 And E-Type, 1959 Mini, Renault 4 and 8, Beetle, 2CV, Ford Thames, Austin Van, SWB and LWB Land Rover and other cars suitable for British and European roads of the 50s and 60s. Also a lot of US too. A lot of blatant contemporary Wiking copies too. I think they were a collection of old Anguplas, Norev etc moulds.

Edited to say they also make the Fiat that ended up being made as a Lada right up until circa 1981 unchanged so useful for much later...

Edited by ianmacc

I've also had a couple of the "new"  releases, as well as still having a fair few Anguplas and Eko from the sixties and seventies. I used to get Anguplas models from The King Charles Sports Centre in Leeds, later Beatties. They were not exactly cheap at the time, and had a tendency to warp. The Eko versions were made from a much harder and more stable plastic, but could be brittle if not handled carefully. The "1/86" label is a bit of a generalisation, some were smaller, with a very few larger. One notable example is the Jeep Stationwagon, which is exactly 1/76 scale, and a very good model once the wheels ate changed and the front bumper moved forward a little. Here's a photo of one dealt with in that way, plus anothe which I converted to the pickup. I have another which I intend to use as the basis of a "Jeepster" convertible.

post-26971-0-39832200-1548622372_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like what you have done with the Jeeps, fodenway. I clicked the 'Useful/Informative' icon, but wanted to do the 'Craftsmanship/Clever' one as well - we can only choose one, so please consider the other one clicked as well! :)

Original sales cases. No doubt worth a significant sum now!

Most if, not all, made it into the Eko range.

Sadly the FLT and the tractors didn’t. The 2CV and SWB Land Rover were the only two I found as Anguplas with the 2CV packaged as a Norev. That yellow Eko crane found a welcome home on my layout.

post-34390-0-24522600-1548640340.jpeg

post-34390-0-93319800-1548640349.jpeg

post-34390-0-41391300-1548640361.jpeg

post-34390-0-71225800-1548640372.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 2

I like what you have done with the Jeeps, fodenway. I clicked the 'Useful/Informative' icon, but wanted to do the 'Craftsmanship/Clever' one as well - we can only choose one, so please consider the other one clicked as well! :)

thanks, SRman, Fodenway positively blushing here!

• Like 1

Just scrutinising the display cases again. The images are low resolution but I believe the proper images are on 87thscale website.

In case 1 the small FLT and red tractor did not reappear as Eko. In case two I don’t recognise the long blue racing car. The third case I think all made it into the Eko range. Last case that tractor, the yellow JCB type thing mentioned above (shame) and the 1930s type double decker I never saw either. The huge yellow quarry dumper and caterpillar type thing were definitely made.

Edit: just looked on eBay and there’s loads of Anguplas vehicles if you don’t mind the prices. All familiar except a Seat Serra and Fiat Balilla that I don’t recall being made when Anguplas ceased. I actually had the Fiat now I recall when I collected H0 cars as a teenager.

Edited again: forget my ramblings there’s a full history here! Check out the salesman’s vans!!

https://87thscale.info/anguplas.htm

Edited by ianmacc

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting pics of presentation boxes  , that little loading shovel in the last box looks like a 1960's Chaseside , would be very at home in a coal yard.

Certainly does - see theres a Thames Trader flatbed back up the post, used to drive them both in my Uncle's haulage yard in Worcester from the age of 14. 

Need to look out for those if they ever come up on the second hand market....

Phil

Certainly does - see theres a Thames Trader flatbed back up the post, used to drive them both in my Uncle's haulage yard in Worcester from the age of 14.

Need to look out for those if they ever come up on the second hand market....

Phil

A Thames is on eBay as I write :)

post-34390-0-82507500-1548715456_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc

• RMweb Gold

A Thames is on eBay as I write :)

Thanks for heads up on that! Actually the BT models SWB tipper is closer to what I remember so have gone for that one - order placed! Needs a repaint in to red and black with some custom transfers for F Bullock & Son Hauliers of Worcester 

Now for a Chaseside...

Phil

Phil

• RMweb Gold

You’re welcome ;)

Thanks Ian....

I just searched for that hee hee! Missed it somehow....No more disposable income till Friday will see if its still there then.....

Phil

Thanks Ian....

I just searched for that hee hee! Missed it somehow....No more disposable income till Friday will see if its still there then.....

Phil

keep the box they are worth a lot! Or sell it and get another vehicle lol

I may buy up all of them then list the boxes! 20 quid for the Thames and over 30 for its box!

post-34390-0-95063700-1548715824_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 1

The Anguplas Chaseside ( or Chasseside  as it says on box , maybe this was the Spanish division ! ) is a pretty good model of the Chaseside 700 loading shovel with apparently full movement on bucket and lift .

Very popular industrial / construction  loader in late 50s early 60s and then trickled down into the coal yards and builders yards and there are still some to be seen even now. Underneath all the very heavy metal of course the indestructible  Fordson Major tractor skid unit.  Picture below is from a brochure.

post-3430-0-57674200-1548742696_thumb.jpg

post-3430-0-60232900-1548742179_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 2

Don't know , first time I have ever seen one of these  is in this thread.  But as an  old  British plant  enthusiast  very interested.

Possibly it is an out of scale grease gun :)  or a handle for little hands to raise bucket , odd if latter because I thought these were scale models not toys.

Craig

post-3430-0-43112200-1548744250_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcb 3c

On 1/29/2019 at 6:46 AM, jcb 3c said:

Don't know , first time I have ever seen one of these  is in this thread.  But as an  old  British plant  enthusiast  very interested.

Possibly it is an out of scale grease gun :)  or a handle for little hands to raise bucket , odd if latter because I thought these were scale models not toys.

Craig

post-3430-0-43112200-1548744250_thumb.jpg

You will have to buy it and let us know!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a Scammell Antar tank transporter from EKO in 1:86.

That's not my scale and I would like to offer the model here.

If some is interested, please send me a PM, than I can show a picture too.

modelldoc