New 2019 Class 31

Krieghoff

On 17/03/2019 at 16:18, richierich said:

Not sure I buy that response. But not seen a chassis from the latest production.

I bought a new Chassis to replace the old one recently, Just popped right back on, the only difference is the Skirt part around the buffers, that was attached buy Screws on the Orginal but looks to be a push fit on the new one.A bit of whiltling down of the skirt should do the trick but I have a running 31 again! yay!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2019 at 12:13, Derails Models said:

The other two 2019 Class 31's arrived this morning, and look fantastic. So much so, a BR Blue version may have just been popped into my bag, heading back too Crooked Lane this evening!

49137044787_c21a7ce7c3_c.jpg

R3746 BR Blue Class 31 - 31102 by Derails Models, on Flickr

49137044747_29f8f19410_c.jpg

R3746 BR Blue Class 31 - 31102 by Derails Models, on Flickr

49136358218_fa1ee98152_c.jpg

R3745 Network Rail Class 31 by Derails Models, on Flickr

49136847866_e6a85d6a51_c.jpg

49136847781_6b052945e2_c.jpg

The bottom skirt should be blue not black shouldn’t it? (like every other blue 31 Hornby have ever done).

Again little attention to basic detail from Hornby on anything remotely modern - even more frustrating when they have already got it right previously.

1 hour ago, raetiamann said:

The NR 31 should have extra lighting fitted, but will this be working lighting or purely cosmetic?

If it's anything like all previous NR 31s then I'd imagine the additional lights will be cosmetic only.

cheers
Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

31102 certainly looks interesting.

Does the model come with Headcode discs ? (31102 seemed to have them until it went Railfreight grey),just about every pic online shows headcodes in the “class 1” layout.

also when did 31102 lose its waistband that early 31’s had around the cab/ bodysides (seen here on the cab front, sides and doors) ?

31102 at Bristol Temple Meads

(Not mine- flickr url)

Theres definitely some renumber potential on this one... i’m thinking adding eth and turning it into one of Manchester’s famous club train knackers... 31418 Bodicea.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SHerr said:

The bottom skirt should be blue not black shouldn’t it? (like every other blue 31 Hornby have ever done).

Again little attention to basic detail from Hornby on anything remotely modern - even more frustrating when they have already got it right previously.

Black is also fine, these aren't skinhead 31’s but still have original fairings and are black.., the latter picture @Victoria was very late, circa 1990...

Hence my question on when 31102 is depicted, it carried its waistline band, buffer beam fairings and discs for very long, but not after it went Railfreight circa 1991, so i’m thinking Hornby’s modelled later (1980’s) rather than 1970’s.

81FD42E6-56F8-4DC8-90D1-BDE533B0C3B5.jpeg

FEDDE93C-B967-4DD5-A18E-0AD4BBD126FA.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

A bit more flickr research shows...

oops in September 1985 (bodyside band, buffer fairings visible, and presumably headcodes munched)....

Run-run-run-run-runaway

-not mine, flickr url

March 1986.. ex-works, headcode discs, buffer fairings and waist bands gone...

31102 31283 at Severn Tunnel Junction 15.03.1986 (1)

-also not mine, flickr url

I suspect theyve got the right tooling but picked the wrong number, if they wanted a skinhead 31/1 in blue. 

However, I think this model is very adaptable to other class members, in the late 1980’s period...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

The only thing missing from the model of 31102 is the waistband (again) as all the other detail seems to be correct for it in the early 1980s, after it had its cab 'modified' by the 37 it was taken into the refurbishment scheme, dual braked, boiler, cowling and waistband removed and all the other refurbished odds and sods added.

Hornby dont seem to like putting the waistband on blue 31s and I think it is only painted on the green ones (I dont have one to check).

Edited by royaloak

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

31102 certainly looks interesting.

Does the model come with Headcode discs ? (31102 seemed to have them until it went Railfreight grey),just about every pic online shows headcodes in the “class 1” layout.

No it doesn't.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Black is also fine, these aren't skinhead 31’s but still have original fairings and are black.., the latter picture @Victoria was very late, circa 1990...

Hence my question on when 31102 is depicted, it carried its waistline band, buffer beam fairings and discs for very long, but not after it went Railfreight circa 1991, so i’m thinking Hornby’s modelled later (1980’s) rather than 1970’s.

81FD42E6-56F8-4DC8-90D1-BDE533B0C3B5.jpeg

FEDDE93C-B967-4DD5-A18E-0AD4BBD126FA.jpeg

Thanks, I've looked through quite a few photos and never noticed black front skirts - the general dirt starts to hide it I suppose. Will probably still get one but renumber as my layouts 86/87 so looks like its in Railfreight by then. Now just waiting for a January announcement for some non red stripe/original Railfreight ones and Blue ETH ones!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I really do like the class 31 model. I’m so glad I managed to re-chassis my Dutch 31110 before the rot set in as it were.

I’m hoping ‘21 will be the year Hornby take advantage of the model and release a couple of the liveries people are crying out for. I really can’t see a case for not doing so. I’m certain a banger blue 31, along with a Dutch 31/5, and a Mainline 31/4 would be fantastic sellers. Equally I’d be shocked if all of those were released in one year, but spread out over three provides three years of good returns on the tooling.

They listened with the class 60 and released two more Trainload liveries to complement the original run Petroleum sector, I’m hoping they see similar sense here.

My 2 x 31102 arrived this morning.

Finally a BR Blue Disc Headcode (Skinhead) Class 31 from Hornby which isn't weathered!

First one run in already - started on TTS install, upgraded speaker ordered with added advantage of negating the need to remove the fan (although this is not functional anyway) 

On 29/11/2019 at 17:07, Georgeconna said:

I bought a new Chassis to replace the old one recently, Just popped right back on, the only difference is the Skirt part around the buffers, that was attached buy Screws on the Orginal but looks to be a push fit on the new one.A bit of whiltling down of the skirt should do the trick but I have a running 31 again! yay!

Nice one :) Where did you get that from Georgeconna?

Edited by sb67

Hello Sb67: Here you go, A chap on here posted this up some time back, The Front skirts with screws needed thinning and I then glued them to the lower chasis when the fit was satisfactory.

I'd Recommend drawing out the wiring diagram before you take your orginal model apart as all the wire on the new chassis from the lights are in black, Also you don't need to remove the fan unit from, just loosen it a tad and slip the wires in the channels below it, I scoop the Black tack out with a Toothpick and reused it on the new one.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Hornby-CLASS-31-X10810-CHASSIS-for-SUPER-DETAIL-LOCOS-HEAVYWEIGHT-METAL-red-/153607542327

Running lovely now!! Might looks at getting sound in her next and a buffer beam detail pack.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Thanks 1

It’s a bit of a poor show that Hornby can produce class 66’s in colours galore once there is competition for the market with Hattons release yet Class 31’s are released at a drastically slow rate with massive gaps in the market! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

It’s a bit of a poor show that Hornby can produce class 66’s in colours galore once there is competition for the market with Hattons release yet Class 31’s are released at a drastically slow rate with massive gaps in the market! 

Hornby need to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible, and churning out 66's will do that for them.  The 66's owe them nothing, and sell very quickly.

4 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

Hornby need to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible, and churning out 66's will do that for them.  The 66's owe them nothing, and sell very quickly.

I agree but then if there pricing is right you could sell 1 class 31 and have the same profit as three class 66’s!

It’s rather ironic that For the latest released batch of 66’s they picked all the same paint schemes and running numbers as Hattons had already announced!^_^

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2019 at 02:40, royaloak said:

The only thing missing from the model of 31102 is the waistband (again) as all the other detail seems to be correct for it in the early 1980s, after it had its cab 'modified' by the 37 it was taken into the refurbishment scheme, dual braked, boiler, cowling and waistband removed and all the other refurbished odds and sods added.

Hornby dont seem to like putting the waistband on blue 31s and I think it is only painted on the green ones (I dont have one to check).

Can confirm band is paint on the green locos

Had to be added in microstrip when we did 5528 -  used a green 31/0 for this , engine room door grille added and zorsts sorted too

Has been through the washer a few too many times....

1676527622_Class315528.JPG.f540fc0dbdd48d990e0f7a42d5c66e62.JPG

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, MM1991 said:Hornby need to make as much money as possible, as quickly as possible, and churning out 66's will do that for them.  The 66's owe them nothing, and sell very quickly.

They could do this with the Railroad class 31..., indeed given that prices of Lima are actually heading north of £50... theres something strange in the market place.

however..The 31 is now the Missing model in the market, especially 1990’s versions with headcode boxes and and headlights.. starting with Blue, Blue cantrail, Mainline, 31413, Dutch, Grey, Redstripe & Plain Railfreight, large logo railfreight, 31101, D5583, Pwllheli pair31146/47, even god forbid 31116, thats before we get to Bescots specials and even privatisation or preservation.

I just bought 2 Lima 31’s this week to fill gaps, I still have 20 Lima class 31’s, and contemplating upgrading their motors, as their really isn't an alternative..., and The current tooling isnt without faults. Bizarre as that may be in 2019, especially as the current super detailed 31 isn't without issues, and many older ones have self destructed... yet we have had 4 new class 47 toolings since, it is a strange anomaly in the market place. I do wish Accurascale had picked a 31 instead of a 37, though given the hostile territory I can understand why, but if the field isn't being farmed, I wouldn't begrudge someone having a secret nibble and announcing a new tooling on the moment of being ready.. until then its Lima.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well? 

I don't wish to go off topic or hijack the thread but I thought seen as though the topic is about Class 31s that I could put a few questions forward. 

I wonder if anyone could give me some advise please? 

I have never owned a Class 31 at all and I am interested in the new Hornby Network Rail 31602. But I have seen the price of nearly £160 and I am considering is it worth it? In comparison in OO gauge we have the new Dapol Class 68s at £132 or less, Hattons Class 66 for £150, the new Heljan Class 47 likely at £160 or less and the new Accurascale Class 37s at the slightly higher price of £170. 

So my questions are is this particular Hornby Class 31 new tooling or an adapted/improved model considering the price? Does this model have directional lighting and cab lighting? Is the chassis and body details correct for this particular loco? Are the Network Rail yellow and the grey roof colours correct for this particular loco? Are the Hornby 31s smooth and good runners? Finally, can anyone assure me that 31602 won't suffer from Mazak rot? 

I would usually find out the answers to some of the above questions through the Rails Of Sheffield product page on their website but it seems to be lacking a detailed description of this model. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I have one of last ones Hornby done in network rail and as far as I can tell the livery is pretty good. I see with 602 they have actually put the high intensity light on this one which is bonus as the one I got did not have this, just a high intensity light that was flush with the body. I also remember seeing a pic of the DCR one which seemed to run with all its lights on when travelling forward which is incorrect so would be interesting to see if this has been rectified. Looking at pictures of the model on a well known online retailer I am not 100% sold on the black radio pods on the roof or the style of extra lights fitted. 602 seemed to have ran with bulkier round units as seen in this pic http://www.railgallery.co.uk/20_33_html/31602_31465_Wichnor.html. other than that it looks to be an accurate model of the prototype

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They could do this with the Railroad class 31..., indeed given that prices of Lima are actually heading north of £50... theres something strange in the market place.

however..The 31 is now the Missing model in the market, especially 1990’s versions with headcode boxes and and headlights.. starting with Blue, Blue cantrail, Mainline, 31413, Dutch, Grey, Redstripe & Plain Railfreight, large logo railfreight, 31101, D5583, Pwllheli pair31146/47, even god forbid 31116, thats before we get to Bescots specials and even privatisation or preservation.

I just bought 2 Lima 31’s this week to fill gaps, I still have 20 Lima class 31’s, and contemplating upgrading their motors, as their really isn't an alternative..., and The current tooling isnt without faults. Bizarre as that may be in 2019, especially as the current super detailed 31 isn't without issues, and many older ones have self destructed... yet we have had 4 new class 47 toolings since, it is a strange anomaly in the market place. I do wish Accurascale had picked a 31 instead of a 37, though given the hostile territory I can understand why, but if the field isn't being farmed, I wouldn't begrudge someone having a secret nibble and announcing a new tooling on the moment of being ready.. until then its Lima.

I dont know if releasing the Railroad 31's in a multitude of liveries would sell better than the 66's, these are 'now' loco's.  31's would appeal to the more modeller side of the market I think

31's are my favourite loco's but I only own Lima versions (fettled!) as I find the shape more accurate than the super detail Hornby version.  The Railroad 31, although ex-Lima, has been been released using a mis-match of tooling - original condition bodysides with refurbished cab fronts etc, but I have bought them to re-chassis my Lima examples.

If the right manufacturer tooled a high detail 31, with tooling to represent all the major differences then I think they would be onto a winner.  As you say there is a stack of liveries to be carried, Im just not sure Hornby are the ones to fully exploit the market for the 31 - maybe Accurascale or Heljan?