New 2019 Class 31

Krieghoff

12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Knew they are a favourite of yours! They were special for us at Worcester .... a trip to Brum to see one on the Yarmouth or Derby was usually worth a few on coal trains ... until the WR got some of course when they became common - and locally despised as they were unable to time the Worcester - Padd trains, particularly as the best ones were kept for ECS at Paddington. 

But characterful locos in their early liveries as your super photos show so well.

They were no match for a Hymek on the Worcester/Herefords but were probably a tad more reliable. Once the ETH took a bit more HP out of their performance then they became something of a liability as far as timekeeping was concerned. Fortunately the WR were able to diagram a few Worcester turns whereby they could double-head with spare loco's being kept at Oxford, but the staunch WR men never really got on with them so I try not to mention 31's when in conversation with a few of my ex. BR driver acquaintance's as they start speaking a different language!

Let's hope a decent model version is in the wings somewhere.................plenty of ER branch lines to model!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes it would be rather like mentioning certain topics on here! The Hymeks were highly thought of at Worcester and any type 2 replacement would not cut the mustard. Unfortunately the arrival of the Brush 2s coincided with the singling between Norton and Oxford and any late running had a disastrous effect on the single line timetable.... so the first up train in the morning was often double headed with whatever Worcester could spare ... an EE3 and Derby Sulzer 2 were both recorded as piloting to Moreton in Marsh . Some interesting scope there for the new layout although we would probably rather run a hydraulic! 

Have modified a green 31/0 to BFYE D5528 with correct exhausts and engine room door grille based on your Super photos but it seems a huge gap that Hornby haven’t produced anything similar ...

15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Surely someone will do a definitive version before too long! Your photos certainly give them plenty to go on.....

I’d be very surprised if accurascale don’t do both the 31 and the 50 before long 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’d be very surprised if accurascale don’t do both the 31 and the 50 before long 

Me too. Hornby have released so few over the years* that there must be many people who would either buy extra or replace.

* leaving aside the self-destructing ones....

Roy

• Like 3

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I was betting on Hattons doing a 31 myself, but it all seems to have gone rather quiet in their development side, nothing new since October 2019.

That said secrecy might be prudent these days.

Think they maybe having problems developing an explosive chassis for the 31 also still researching a 25/3 and HAA wagons that nobody seems to want to do in 00 (Hat on and heading for door lol)

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I was betting on Hattons doing a 31 myself, but it all seems to have gone rather quiet in their development side, nothing new since October 2019.

I doubt it greatly after the 66.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the bodyshell from regi rail 31439 has been used to model 31147.  eth box fitted, and a separate headlight detail part placed over the round flush hole that was used as a headlight on 439. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 50030 said:

It looks like the bodyshell from regi rail 31439 has been used to model 31147.  eth box fitted, and a separate headlight detail part placed over the round flush hole that was used as a headlight on 439. 

And in Dutch too.

Great isn't it.

Its certainly the best mistake I certainly wont be complaining about.

i had 2 on order, thinking I might reduce to one, but now I’m thinking of more...must exercise the self restraint button.

Dutch eth 31/4 or isolated 31/5’s were a structural part of life in the 1990’s.

if they decided to make corrected 31/1 bodyshells as spare replacements, all sins would definitely be forgiven and i’d be buying up second hand other 31’s off ebay to put them on.

just have to see how easy that nameplate comes off.

Edited by adb968008

43 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

And in Dutch too.

Great isn't it.

Its certainly the best mistake I certainly wont be complaining about.

i had 2 on order, thinking I might reduce to one, but now I’m thinking of more...must exercise the self restraint button.

Dutch eth 31/4 or isolated 31/5’s were a structural part of life in the 1990’s.

if they decided to make corrected 31/1 bodyshells as spare replacements, all sins would definitely be forgiven and i’d be buying up second hand other 31’s off ebay to put them on.

just have to see how easy that nameplate comes off.

I wonder if anyone’s told Simon Kohler. I don’t want to email him with bad news again - seems all I do is criticise his stuff 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I wonder if anyone’s told Simon Kohler. I don’t want to email him with bad news again - seems all I do is criticise his stuff 

Its hard to complain when your happy.

Certainly couldn’t complain about this one in person i’d be smiling too much... i’d be asking them to make the same mistake again, but in BR Blue... then Mainline, then 31413, then then then...

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2021 at 19:33, 50030 said:

It looks like the bodyshell from regi rail 31439 has been used to model 31147.  eth box fitted, 

What ETH connector.................?

Image from Hornby email received earlier today.

31147.jpg.e37839642899113e79ee6952d6c5162a.jpg

Maybe they should take a leaf from TV car adverts?

"Actual specification may vary from that shown"

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Maybe they should take a leaf from TV car adverts?

"Actual specification may vary from that shown"

It makes you think they have very little control over what comes out of the factory or that communication is so poor to identify tooling variations. Have prices doubled over the last few years to take into account making everything twice because they cant get it right the first time?

• RMweb Gold
On 27/05/2021 at 00:01, newbryford said:

Yours must be a Tier 1 version.
:D

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2021 at 01:07, adb968008 said:

Why not Accurascale?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

So the sample didn’t have one , but production does ?

Useful for folks like ADB but most of those bangers /4 /5 were laid up by my modelling period .

Last month's Engine Shed showed a decoration sample and that had the ETH receptacle, but even if spotted them presumably it was too late to make tooling changes. I don't think we saw a pre-production sample, but the image in the current catalogue could be photoshopped as that image doesn't show the raised cowling on the roof, which the production model has.

Never understood the additional 3174 conversions. BR trying to find a use for something useless. They already had a batch of 31/4 so knew they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. As 31/0s they were fine. But for ETH they should have gone for more 37/4s.

Edited by brushman47544

8 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Last month's Engine Shed showed a decoration sample and that had the ETH receptacle, but even if spotted them presumably it was too late to make tooling changes. I don't think we saw a pre-production sample, but the image in the current catalogue could be photoshopped as that image doesn't show the raised cowling on the roof, which the production model has.

Never understood the additional 3174 conversions. BR trying to find a use for something useless. They already had a batch of 31/4 so knew they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. As 31/0s they were fine. But for ETH they should have gone for more 37/4s.

I presume that was all that was available for ETH fitting as there was still much heavy industry needing 37s ...and I’m thinking Norwich - Birmingham routes pretty flat so maybe that was a factor 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I presume that was all that was available for ETH fitting as there was still much heavy industry needing 37s ...and I’m thinking Norwich - Birmingham routes pretty flat so maybe that was a factor 

Maybe, but March already had an allocation of 31/4s for Norwich-Birmingham from the first batch - back in 1981 there was already one daily 31/4 diagram. weren't the new batch mostly for the Pennines, Manchester, Leeds and Hull areas?

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Maybe, but March already had an allocation of 31/4s for Norwich-Birmingham from the first batch - back in 1981 there was already one daily 31/4 diagram. weren't the new batch mostly for the Pennines, Manchester, Leeds and Hull areas?

Good point , and those aren't flat !

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

Anybody got a photo of the Dutch liveried model please? 

There's one on the previous page. May 2nd

• Like 1

• 2 months later...