Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0s on the West Highland Line

Sandpiper

• RMweb Gold

In 1953 Ivatt 4mt 2-6-0s were briefly trialed on the West Highland Line. The trial wasn't a success and they were soon transferred elsewhere. Perhaps not surprisingly there don't seem to be many photographs of them on the WHL. However, whilst trawling around the web looking for interesting WHL photos I did come across these two. 

The first only shows the rear end of one of the locos standing on Fort William shed in front of a Glen class loco.

post-32813-0-27211300-1548713755_thumb.jpg

The second shows 43137 shunting at Mallaig in June 1953.

post-32813-0-41711700-1548714011_thumb.jpg

Has anyone else managed to come up with any other photos of these locos on the WHL?

(Unfortunately I can't remember where I pinched these photos from so cannot credit them and will remove them if requested).

Edited by Sandpiper
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very timely.  I recently read John A McGregor’s “All Stations To Mallaig” which mentioned this trial.  I had taken the impression that these may have been the Class 2 Moguls (which I know worked the Ballachulish line in its latter days) but your photos have saved me posting in the quest of further details.

• Like 1

Certainly these photos are a valuable find, seeing as they provide actual first hand evidence of the class’ appearance on the line.

I guess some good came of it as five K1s came in on a permanent basis the following year. Even if the Ivatt machines were found wanting, the trial must have identified a need for a modern utility 2-6-0 in Lochaber and further north.

Davy.

• Like 1

That batch of engines (43132-41 except 43139) that were allocated to the Scottish Region were real "restless wanderers on the earth". Nobody seemed to want to keep them. I think the one that moved most was 43133 - 7 different allocations (including twice at Eastfield) in 12 years before moving to England.

• Like 1