New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

First impressions very favourable, especially that it looks like you can now upload multiple images on mobile (and a much cleaner interface).

however one potential issue, I have been trying to upload some photos using the mobile version (running on the latest iOS / Safari.  When I select the photo it throws out an error saying Allowed file extensions are Jpg, stl etc etc etc 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I have been trying to upload some photos using the mobile version (running on the latest iOS / Safari.  When I select the photo it throws out an error saying Allowed file extensions are Jpg, stl etc etc etc 

Pardon my ignorance but what's the file format for those pics?

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far !   One question I have - All the threads I was following on the previous site have disappeared. Will these reappear as the rebuild progresses, or will I have to manually add them myself ?  Some of the threads were quite old and had no new posts for several months or even years - they could take some time to find again !

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

Pardon my ignorance but what's the file format for those pics?

A good question, I have just emailed a copy of the photo from the phone and its coming up as Jpeg but I am not sure if that is just Windows 10 converting it.  They both uploaded fine on the laptop.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, andi4x4 said:

Looking good so far !   One question I have - All the threads I was following on the previous site have disappeared. Will these reappear as the rebuild progresses, or will I have to manually add them myself ?  Some of the threads were quite old and had no new posts for several months or even years - they could take some time to find again !

I'm told it should eventually rebuild but there's no harm in re-following them.

Another thing not showing is who previously 'liked' posts etc but that may never totally tally as it uses different tables for it now. Everyone's points still remain though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

A good question, I have just emailed a copy of the photo from the phone and its coming up as Jpeg but I am not sure if that is just Windows 10 converting it.  They both uploaded fine on the laptop.

I have added jpeg as an allowed file type now in addition to jpg - have another go.

• Moderators
Just now, Dan Griffin said:

will the 'my content' function be back in the top left corner with our user name drop down as it was before. if it is there, apologies, but I couldn't find it.

No, when the indexing is done it'll be accessible via My Activity Stream.

Hello

Thanks for doing the upgrade.

FYI, if something happens to the site that looks like a DOS attack, let me know.  Another site I frequent had a problem with the search engines trying to index all the posts, which just caused crashing, slow running.

1) Is there a way to turn off the alerts telling me someone has replied yet?

2) I used the "View My Content" every time I visited the forum.  Will this come back as an activity stream or is there a direct link I haven't found yet?  been answered.

Thanks

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

1) Is there a way to turn off the alerts telling me someone has replied yet?

2) I used the "View My Content" every time I visited the forum.  Will this come back as an activity stream or is there a direct link I haven't found yet?

1. Click on the Notifications Bell at top and go to My Notification Settings.

2. See post just before yours. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, The Midland Mole said:

Two things that immediately jump out at me:

1) It's SOOOO bright, all the white is making my eyes hurt. Any chance of a night/dark mode like so many sites have these days?

2) All my notifications have gone, and on the followed content page I can longer see when people last posted on threads I follow. I have no idea what I have missed the last few days and cant see any way to find it again without checking every single followed thread.

1. Alternate themes may happen at a future point but it would double the workload on some future developments. Wear some sunglasses.

2. Please read OP and previous posts ref Search indexing. And then wait.

Well done Andy.

The first rule of project management is that  "sh1t  happens". Effective project management is dealing with that and keeping stakeholders informed. This project should  therefore rate as a success

I have just tested the search function on a thread that I recently retitled "Mr Craven's Engines". The old search facility had been unable to find it since the change of title. The new one does. Unfortunately, none of the photos have yet been recovered. 

Thanks for all the hard work.

Best wishes 

Eric 

PS The editor that removes bad words is also working  - hence my post now reads "sh1T"

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have added jpeg as an allowed file type now in addition to jpg - have another go.

Hi Andy,

You may want to add upper case JPG and JPEG to the list, as typically created by digital cameras. On a computer they are interchangeable, but not on the internet where they are distinct.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Howdy, pleased it's back up again!

I did have some trouble logging in though; new and old username or email address plus password - nothing worked. In the end I had to reset my password to... what it was before!

Thought you might like to know in case anyone else has the same issue. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1