New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

Well where to start. 

Not impressed with the new look. All the white is very bland don't you think? :blind:

Where have all the notifications gone?

Why did you feel the need to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place? :nono:

Your instructions for logging in need an example I had to reset my password to gain access. :help:

I've seen better resets but in fairness I've seen worse too. 

I can't see how this is an improvement but that's just me.:rtfm:

Regards Lez.Z. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, andi4x4 said:

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far !   One question I have - All the threads I was following on the previous site have disappeared. Will these reappear as the rebuild progresses, or will I have to manually add them myself ?  Some of the threads were quite old and had no new posts for several months or even years - they could take some time to find again !

If you go to the drop down next to your avatar in the top right hand corner, there's an option under "Settings" labelled "Manage Followed Content" which shows all your followed content.

It appears to be sorting in the order you followed the topics, with the most recent first.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, lezz01 said:

Well where to start. 

Not impressed with the new look. All the white is very bland don't you think? :blind:

Where have all the notifications gone?

Why did you feel the need to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place? :nono:

Your instructions for logging in need an example I had to reset my password to gain access. :help:

I've seen better resets but in fairness I've seen worse too. 

I can't see how this is an improvement but that's just me.:rtfm:

Regards Lez.Z. 

Right; the upgrade was absolutely necessary for security reasons.

Please read the OP and other posts before jumping in with both feet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am saddened to see all of the custom blocks on my blog have disappeared, they gave me a structure to work to. But perhaps they will reappear before the upgrade is finished.

- Richard.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
Just now, 47137 said:

I am saddened to see all of the custom blocks on my blog have disappeared, they gave me a structure to work to. But perhaps they will reappear before the upgrade is finished.

- Richard.

I'll have a look into that next week Richard.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

No problem logging in, might take a while finding how some bits work, yes, it is a bit brighter but sunglasses work.

But generally things are where they always have been.

Like the way it shows new posts to a topic while you're reading as well as when you're posting.

Thanks for your perseverance Andy.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a bit of a shock to the senses, but I think i'll like this.

Just noticed it saved my unsubmitted comments to this thread - that's a nice touch as you can come back to something.

Also oddly I like the big activity stream showing everything along with the banner showing new activity to refresh the list.

I need to find the sound off button for notifications though - that and the 'there are x updates' banner are both psychological inducements to keep me on the site - common social media strategy.

Edit: Found the off button for the sounds, lots of notification options too, I'll leave those at default for the time being and see what it all does.

Edited by woodenhead
added content

• RMweb Gold

I like the new look, much cleaner and less cluttered than before.

It does appear I now have a reputation to uphold though :angel:

Thanks for all your hard work Andy, much appreciated! 

Tom.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I need to find the sound off button for notifications though - that and the 'there are x updates' banner are both psychological inducements to keep me on the site - common social media strategy.

Pavlov's dog innit. ;)

Click on the Notification Bell at the top of the screen, select My Notification Settings and you should be able to turn the damned thing off!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Pavlov's dog innit. ;)

Click on the Notification Bell at the top of the screen, select My Notification Settings and you should be able to turn the damned thing off!

Thanks I found it in the meantime, all is quiet now and I can go back to listening to Rachel Maddow on MSNBC

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned elsewhere, this software is used on a couple of the other forums I annoy, I find it quite satifactory, although one of them only has a 10 minute window to correct any cockups before the posting is frozen. the other has a half hour, I hope we get at least the half hour or preferably longerr..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the hard work Andy, together with your IT bods, and battling through the (many?) frustrations too I imagine over the past 48 hours.

I for one think that the new look freshens up the site and if there's better security too now it's difficult to understand why some people would grumble. 

In a few months time we'll all be use to the new look and different functionality and wonder what all the fuss was about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

It's now 1.14pm and site is still working - so I guess the 1.00pm shut down wasn't needed ?

That was my Get Out of Jail card - things seem to be going OK but a bit slow when I'm doing some back-end stuff so I'm keeping it open (unless any problems occur). I can also see it's starting tyo index some older material but there's a lot of catching up for it to do so I think I made the right call. Plus my support's gone home poorly. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

The "top" button has gone, am I the only one to miss it?

Yep, more mousewheel miles needed at the moment. I hope to restore that when I've got my head around more bits.

Try your Home button on the keyboard or Fn+Home.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

What is this is witchcraft @Andy Y@AY Mod

Nice to see people looking and learning as they go!

Beats writing an instruction manual as no one reads 'em. I was going to do some Youtube 'how to' videos but the unboxing video took far too long. :p

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, well done with the change-over.

I see that all the 'drivel' that I had "Ignored" (other peoples' opinions of what constitutes 'drivel' are available!) is now on view just like the other stuff, and there doesn't seem to be an "Ignore" button currently available. Is this something which will sort itself out as the indexer gets through the site, or is it a feature to still be added as-and-when more pressing matters are resolved, or will the "Ignore" feature not return at all?

I like the ability (mentioned  earlier in this thread) to drag-and-drop pictures to a post without needing to use the old uploader - I'll try it later, when you've announced that you're happy that the site is reasonably stable.

• RMweb Gold

Well I quite like the new look. There may be a few glitches along the way but I'm sure they'll get sorted. A couple of days offline is a small price to pay * if it improves security.

*The only price in fact for a great free resource. Thanks Andy and Warners.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1