New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

To me the front screen just looks messy - no criticism just a descriptive word. All the sub sections now being separated by commas rather than tabs makes life an awful lot harder on mobile where the provision of a finger is not as precise. I had two attempts at going into one of the sub forums and got there on the third. Probably ok with a mouse, but if your considering whether to return to the tabulated view, to my mind it’s far easier to navigate on mobile and easier to read on the eyes.

It's on the Pending list.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Before I hit this button, what does it do?

Does it do exactly what it says, ie: marks ALL the content on the whole site as read, or is it just the topic that's open? If the former, and you hit that by mistake (or out of curiosity), then you've lost track of all those new threads / posts that you may want to read, therefore may need a health warning

234818528_rmforum.jpg.80d7395ba22f86e53a08953b54e77323.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good, thanks for the perseverance in getting it going. Having done many IT systems upgrades myself, I feel for you with the unknowns that rear their ugly heads just when you don't need them!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm giving it a thumbs up; looks a bit neater and is intuitive enough even for me, though I had to dig a little to find my 'followed topics'.  Thank you for all the hard work Andy; it obviously didn't go according to plan and you've had an 'interesting' few days!   Funny how I'm seeing it as neat and tidy and others are complaining about the mess; maybe the smaller print isn't coming across well on smaller screens; I use my 32" tv as the main computer monitor and it's a bit different to the average laptop experience.  Haven't had a go on the phone yet!

• Thanks 1

Is it just me...? :unsure::unsure:

Members List, gone.

Friends - gone.

Followers, gone.

Followed Topics, gone.  (Used to be very usefully on the HomePage.)

I realise I'm old and not a computer whiz, but where have these things gone? I can't see them any more. :unsure:

Edited by Methuselah
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Is it just me...? :unsure::unsure:

Members List, gone.

Friends - gone.

Followers, gone.

Followed Topics, gone.  (Used to be very usefully on the HomePage.)

I realise I'm old and not a computer whiz, but where have these things gone? I can't see them any more. :unsure:

I think by what Andy was saying much of it will reappear when the software sorts its self out.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Why did you feel the need to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place?

It's called progress. Otherwise we'd still be using totally insecure software written decades ago.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Does it do exactly what it says, ie: marks ALL the content on the whole site as read, or is it just the topic that's open? If the former, and you hit that by mistake (or out of curiosity), then you've lost track of all those new threads / posts that you may want to read, therefore may need a health warning

It does what it says on the tin. I just tried it as there's hardly any "new" posts on here since the upgrade. It pops up an "Are you sure" check so you can't really do it "by mistake" without your own approval.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So far so good, and I've managed to re-follow my followed topics as an Activity Stream.

However,  two queries have surfaced in the half hour or so I've been playing around.

One: what happened to the facility to ignore a topic? Has it gone, or have I just not worked out how to do it in the new format? 

Two: An improvement I was hoping for doesn't seem to have happened. When selecting a topic the default sends me to page 1 (as before) when it would seem more logical to be taken to the latest page, then work back if necessary.

Other than that. I'm impressed.

John

• Agree 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Yes; that's the Nuclear option to tidying up your feeds. It marks everything. I may get round to hiding it - I've done it accidentally on the mobile version before now.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Is the new Forum Tapatalk friendly? A few other forums I frequent have started to use this and I'm beginning to see the benefits for accessing them all from one App.

No; Tapatalk is basically free forum hosting so they can get ad revenue - this definitely isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just browsed through my blogs and noticed that most of them do not have attachments anymore, also the feedback is not displayed and In profile I have no friends anymore booh hoo

Pete

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

One: what happened to the facility to ignore a topic? Has it gone, or have I just not worked out how to do it in the new format? 

Two: An improvement I was hoping for doesn't seem to have happened. When selecting a topic the default sends me to page 1 (as before) when it would seem more logical to be taken to the latest page, then work back if necessary.

1. I'm still working on that - it's a separate modification which I hope to do next week.

2. If you click on the topic title it'll go to the beginning but if it's got a black dot next to it the dot will take you to the first unread post.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Not sure if this has been mentioned already - I have not had the time to read all 5 pages here - when I click on recent posts, I am being taken to page 1 of the thread and not to the page with the recent thread.

I am doing this from the unread threads button rather than activity, if that makes a difference.

• RMweb Gold

Well, largely a thumbs down from me.

I accessed the previous site using "View New Content". For me, the new layout—viewed on a 2017 iPad, FWIW, is too cluttered, and I much preferred the old style where the unread topics were displayed in a "paged" format—and I could see how many pages there were. The "Load Additional Activity" button at the bottom is something I've encountered on other websites (hello, Rails) and I find it slow, fiddly, and never know how much content remains to be looked at. I use such websites less than those with a paged format (thanks, Kernow).

Secondly, on the previous layout, you could see a "preview" of a topic—the first post, the first unread post, and the most recent post. This facility appears to have gone.

However, the editor for creating a new post seems better than before.

Hello,

Could you please  let the forum know when the following is supposed to be fixed ?

This seems to be the most annoying issue to me at present.

Cheers,

Previously uploaded image attachments not displaying
In posts made before the upgrade where any image attachments are uploaded currently you may see something like [attachment=1093445:p001_BRMFeb19 4.75.jpg]. I have been advised that when all of the indexing is carried out these should correct themselves. Post owners can go into Edit the post and they should see all of the attachments below the text editor box and they can re-insert them into the post - this would rely on the post owner revisiting and editing the post so patience would be needed there!

• Agree 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Why did you feel the need to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place? :nono:

How do you work out it wasn't broken? Can you see the underlying code on the server and how it is vulnerable to attacks such as the one over Christmas?

Trust me, Andy's been working on this project, largely on his own, for many months. It has NOT been carried out for fun, or for no reason. This upgrade has been a nightmare and there is still a lot of work to carry out before worrying about little tweaks. I'm sure the ability to switch on full Geocities display mode (black text on dark blue background, hundreds of animated Gifs) will come eventually. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Currently in the Activity Streams, nothing is coming up for Content I Created or Content I Posted In. I'm presuming this is down to the indexing not being complete, but for there to be nothing at all seems a little strange.

Hi Andy - just want to say thanks for the big effort put in to get this far. It is much appreciated!

I am sure all the little glitches will be solved soon - of course after March 29th everything will work perfectly :D (sorry couldn't resist)

• Funny 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Hello,

Could you please  let the forum know when the following is supposed to be fixed ?

This seems to be the most annoying issue to me at present.

Cheers,

Previously uploaded image attachments not displaying
In posts made before the upgrade where any image attachments are uploaded currently you may see something like [attachment=1093445:p001_BRMFeb19 4.75.jpg]. I have been advised that when all of the indexing is carried out these should correct themselves. Post owners can go into Edit the post and they should see all of the attachments below the text editor box and they can re-insert them into the post - this would rely on the post owner revisiting and editing the post so patience would be needed there!

Simple answer? I don't know.

The reason I don't know? No-one can tell me.

Why can't they tell me? Because they don't know how long a lengthy, complex and slow process will take with almost 1 million images.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5