New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I can see the Thumbs Up icon on an Android tablet.

I set a limit of 10MB for post content (as I had to get rid of a lot of very large files!) so it's shrunk in the wash.

Andy,

‘I hope this is helping, not hindering - it may be me needing new specs, but this is how I am seeing it on an iPad Pro?

6932ED88-487C-49DF-B697-ADDE4BB106AA.png.54f9ee6e23214884409ce3e67f4cffb4.png

26 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Unread content and time period set to last visit gives the same result presumably as show new content did previously. Is there a way to cut down on what is displayed. Currently shows

New forum software

MarshLane replied to Andy Y's topic in Forum Rules, Notices, Faults & Help

Just a note, I am not seeing any like buttons etc on the mobile version on an iPad. Also, it may be right, but it’s showing me a max size for files of 9.77MB, which seems an odd size! Andy Y - no need to reply unless you really want to, just feeding...

Just now

163 replies

which takes up a lot of space and the first two lines would be sufficient IMO, When you get to the end of the few messages it has retrieved their is a wait for it load more (like Rails painful to use web site); on one occasion it jumped back to the start. Took 10 minutes to view the headings of the  limited number of new postings their currently are;how long it will be when the forum is back to full use?

Hmm, again this is how it’s displaying to me - this was Layout Topics.

4281129F-0813-4B94-9440-31518B663271.png.f405ea261ccfc2e9b765df2c4828f7e2.png

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Looking down through a list of new posts (which is the way I normally look at RMweb) the back button doesn't take me back to where I was but to the top of the list - and I might have to scroll down a long way to get back to where I was. There is a button to view the next post but I don't want to spend time looking at everything, just the ones I want.

On a more positive note it's a lot easier to add pictures to posts.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, lochlongside said:

Good day Andy,

some points -whilst I get used to finding out how this works!

1. Seems a bit slow to respond - I never measured the old site response times but they always seemed ok - however this one definitely thinks before responding - and it isnt my hardware or link - they havent changed, and it is not apparent on other totally unrelated sites - is this a bedding in issue, or in this case a function of the number of people using the site?

2. When I open a page for a new forum or even the title page, or the "products" heading pages the first thing displayed is a skeleton type list almost like a stripped down index of page items list - . and this is repeated at the individual forum leve. E.G. l The first time I for instance opened the Hattons/Hornby/Heljan forums (fora?) the same thing happened - it only flashes up momentarily before then displaying the appropriate opening screen - but displaying this must slow things down.

2. There used to be a post number at top right (IIRC) - where has it moved to? apologies but can't see for the looking  (this prompted by a reference to a post 436 on the Peco EM track forum)

1. Yes, slow at times but it's working at indexing as well as usual site use.

2. Sounds like slow loading css as part of 1.

3. There's a share icon at the top right of the post which brings up a link.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Andy,

‘I hope this is helping, not hindering - it may be me needing new specs, but this is how I am seeing it on an iPad Pro?

You're definitely missing some bits - will add it to ze list.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, GoingUnderground said:

What's happened to the reputation scores? sSome seem to have ome across whilst others seem to have shrunk drastically.

It's still counting them up along with the other content.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just completed a post with images. They appear to be displaying larger than before, though they were the same size when they left my pc. This I like. I wonder if it's one of the benefits of the new software?

Andy - Some posts appear to have gone AWOL. I have only noticed one topic so far but I was just going to add to this:

[I don't know what happened there - I was just trying to post a link]

Anyway, the last post shows as being made on 4th Jan but I know I posted after that and put up some photos of the vans in primer and another of a coach that I had finished. Has this happened to anywhere else to anyone?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Neil said:

I've just completed a post with images. They appear to be displaying larger than before, though they were the same size when they left my pc. This I like. I wonder if it's one of the benefits of the new software?

It certainly gives a more flexible approach.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ruston said:

[I don't know what happened there - I was just trying to post a link]

That's what it does by default now but you can opt for it just to display a link.

Not sure on the missing post; haven't had any similar reports. yet.

• RMweb Gold

Guys Andy and team have just gone through a mammoth task of dragging the forum software bang up to date. There will be the odd bugs, strange occurrences , missing content and a new forum layout to navigate, Please give it a few days, weeks to bed in and catch up with itself. If your jumping in to this topic here, go back and read from the beginning as lots of questions have been asked already. Please Please be patient, reserve your judgement and go explore !  The more time Andy has to spend here repeating himself answering the same questions ( and drinking beer) the less time he can spend actually sorting some of the issues.  In the long run the firum will be a much safer, smoother and funky ! Place to hang out ! :dirol_mini:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That's what it does by default now but you can opt for it just to display a link.

Not sure on the missing post; haven't had any similar reports. yet.

Update.  I have just typed and posted a new post to the thread that I linked to and after doing so, the missing posts showed up on a 6th page but when viewing the threads in the forum my thread showed up as having only 5 pages.

• Informative/Useful 1

Don’t like the like, thanks, informative, etc feedback. Too many keystrokes to achieve result, and you really need to know what each one means before you tap it, as you have to retap to find out the meaning of what you clicked. Goback to old mechanism if possible, please.

• RMweb Premium

I'm starting to get used to it.   I've been back and reloaded some of the attachments on a couple of pages.  What I'm trying to do is to get my content list up, which as far as I can tell is now an Acivity list.  I've set it to "Topics that I've posted in" but as yet this only shows topics that I've posted in since the restart.  I wish you well Andy and will watch how things develop.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The only issue I have and it may just be the way I use RMWeb is the unread content. I always clicked on view unread content and a list came up which also said how many pages there were. I enjoy a vast array of content so would have a look through the headings to have a look at what grabbed my interest. I'm nearly always on my laptop so could see virtually the whole page of content on my screen with just a small scroll down before clicking on next page.

Now the boxes are so large I can only see 4 headings max so find myself continually scrolling down until I reach ' load more activity'. I have no idea how much unread content there is as there is no indication.

Like I said, it's how I use the forum and may be the only one that does use it like this but it is frustrating :( Otherwise all good :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

First look, it’s very “new bright & white”, I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Andy, please can you check whether .ino files can be loaded?  You arranged this when I started my Arduino thread some years ago, but they don’t seem to be in the “accepted file types” list?

keep up the good work

Simon

• Thanks 1