New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

23 minutes ago, Simond said:

Andy, please can you check whether .ino files can be loaded?  You arranged this when I started my Arduino thread some years ago, but they don’t seem to be in the “accepted file types” list

Now added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to add to peoples workloads. I was trying to access the various threads I have started and that I follow and have posted too but none of them are appearing in the "My Activity" section Is that because the forum is still being rebuilt???

I can still access the threads I have started by going through the "My Attachments" bit in the drop down box where my username is. Then scrolling through the attachments I have made so I can get to the threads and make any postings.

I like the new refresh...just a matter of getting used to the new way of finding and doing things. Only one little gripe....is it possible to add one of those "back to the top of the page" boxes you find on many websites these days like Ebay to go back to the top of the webpage without having to scroll continually up and down.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Simond said:

First look, it’s very “new bright & white”, I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

It's not as bright & white as it was when it first appeared. 

It was like The Osmond's teeth. :D

No issues so far. In fact posting seems to be easier. The Preview button is welcome and the Smilies seem easier to find and use. :good:

Jason

• RMweb Gold

After doing a bit of searching for known content, I fear that only a tiny fraction of the older content has been indexed so far. It could take several days to finish at the current rate -- bearing in mind that indexing has the lowest priority and the server is almost fully occupied responding to current activity. Indexing may speed up in quiet times overnight.

I don't know how Andy can get everyone to read and understand that piece of information. He has already said it umpteen times, and still we get posts on here from folks saying something is missing.

I suggest a bold yellow banner diagonally across the full width of every page saying "FORUM IS UNFINISHED - COME BACK NEXT WEEK - SOME STUFF WILL BE MISSING UNTIL THEN".

Martin.

• Agree 2

Guest Oerlikon

Well this is strange....I tried logging in, username and password not recognised, so I used the lost password process and got an email addressed to 'Oerlikon' which I can't recall using as my display name (although years back it's possible?) - I've been on this forum as Andyman7 for years. Anyway I reset the password but presumably my avatar and my old display name are lost for now.

Edited by Oerlikon
update

1 minute ago, Oerlikon said:

Well this is strange....I tried logging in, username and password not recognised, so I used the lost password process and got an email addressed to 'Oerlikon' which I can't recall using as my display name (although years back it's possible?). Anyway I reset the password but presumably my avatar and my old display name are lost for now.

You have probably had another login with a different email. PM me with what you think your username was.

Feedback: if there is one really annoying feature, it is the inclusion of notification of 'likes' etc in the 'all activity' ticker.

While 'likes' are an important part of RMWeb, I struggle to imagine that we all want to know about all of them.

Their inclusion makes the ticker a real bind to use as a quick way of finding out what is being talked about, to see if any of it catches personal interest.

Can they be "customised out"?

More Feedback: the rest looks potentially pretty good, and the clean style is a definite improvement.

Kevin

8 hours ago, The Midland Mole said:

Two things that immediately jump out at me:

1) It's SOOOO bright, all the white is making my eyes hurt. Any chance of a night/dark mode like so many sites have these days?

2) All my notifications have gone, and on the followed content page I can longer see when people last posted on threads I follow. I have no idea what I have missed the last few days and cant see any way to find it again without checking every single followed thread.

Hi Mr Mole,

Do what I did and buy some glasses that filter out the 450-500 nano metre wavelengths of blue light when using any sort of screen.

Gibbo.

Hi Andy and the team.....

All good wishes...thanks too for the hard work......will work slowly through the new set up.....like getting to know a new home and environment it's an adventure.....

Regards always...BobM

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread so far:

I assume because its still early days  but I'm not receiving email notifications like I used to before the upgrade. Will this be returning once the software upgrades have finished?

Although it has given time for my email account to take a breather from getting 30+ emails a day from my followed topics!

P.S will take a short while to get used to but liking the new look.

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of a You Tube video giving an overview lesson explaining how to navigate this new software?

How do I go direct to "first unread post"?

How do I see all the posts I am following?

What happened to post numbers?

Maybe it will sort itself out but for now I am confused.

Regards Colin

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Well done, so far so good.  I assume that the list of 'content I have added will come back as I add content, although it has not yet.

Found it, it is in 'Activity', 'my Activity', 'Content I have posted in'.  Simple.

How do we change the spell checker to English English not American English?

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We will all get used to it like any change but I can't see that a longer winded way to get to your existing content threads is progress. Neither do I like the porthole icons that chop the corners off logos and images but that seems to be what software designers think we all want these days. Initial impressions, retrograde  user interface and a disappointing change as the old one did everything I needed. The option to view the standard web version on a mobile phone also seems to have gone. Not yet sure whether that will matter as the new version may be the same on any device. The old one was always easier to use in standard mode.

Being positive viewed on my i-pad the menu page does have a cleaner look.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Any chance of a You Tube video giving an overview lesson explaining how to navigate this new software?

How do I go direct to "first unread post"?

How do I see all the posts I am following?

In the content stream you can filter it to take you to the first unread post and also save that filter for the future. Something I found by fiddling with the site. Hopefully this helps:Screenshot_2019-02-01-20-42-07.png.e42e0d46409b405e05d53a8fea92d515.png

• RMweb Premium

I have tried several times to log in on different devices, Win laptop, iPad, with the same result, display name not recognised. So, went away, had evening meal etc..., come back to the iPad and now find I am signed in. Don’t know if this is just a glitch as the site beds in and gets indexed. I will now, hopefully, sign out, and see what happens when I try and sign in the next time.....

It’s all fun and games, but where would we be without RMweb....

Izzy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I like the customised activity streams but whatever I try I can’t make it show only the latest unread post in content I follow or content I have posted in. At the mo it lists every post I haven’t read. Is there a way of selecting show the latest post in a thread only?