New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

16 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

What exactly do you 'pin' to the taskbar?  Given that it isn't a permanent filter set (as I understand it), are you assuming always being logged on?

And does your filter set result in thread titles appearing whose content you have read?

Pinning to the taskbar is like sticking a favourite or bookmark there and it might depend on me being always logged in.  

Like the old New Content (followed items) view, unread topics are in bold, read topics in normal font and the button to go to first unread post is there.  A missing item is being able to go to the last page from that list if you've read the latest post then decide you want to go back to it.  It's only an extra click but you have to open the topic then from within the first page select the last.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't want to dislike something just because it has changed, and I'm sure that some of it is just down to familiarity, but I have to say I'm finding the new style less user friendly.  Of course, things are in different places and will take time to get used to but the font seems much harder to read than on the old site.  To me it seems like it is a combination of the colours and the very light typeface which make it harder to look at on a computer screen, plus the site seems more cluttered - especially the main forum index, which seems to lack the nice clear division into topics and sub-topics  and is just lots of clickable text - the background colours are almost the same, and there are no outlines around the different segments.  

Hopefully things will improve as a result of constructive feedback though.

Edit to add: Why has the ratings system been made harder to use?  What was wrong with the old unobtrusive and easy to click buttons at the bottom of each post? Hovering on the icon then sliding across to the right one seems like adding an extra step just for the sake of it to me.

Edited by JDW
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

What exactly do you 'pin' to the taskbar?  Given that it isn't a permanent filter set (as I understand it), are you assuming always being logged on?

And does your filter set result in thread titles appearing whose content you have read?

Sorry - double post

Edited by Buhar
Double post

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Not sure; do you have the means to clear any browser cookies on the phone and try again? The more I'm hearing I think there's an issue with old cookies and the new software causing conflicts.

I had this problem and deleted existing cookies - using Cookie Autodelete on Firefox - and then reallowed it with the new log in details and it seem to work OK.

• Informative/Useful 1

Already hit my first annoyance, why can are these highlighted in red and not allowing me to un tick the box for receiving emails, I can see it become rather annoying when my email is going to be constantly filled with PM emails, tried the unsubscribe button at the bottom and it brought me to the same result. 

image.png.6d6e6cc6ac182e6454b8be0fb8a9be75.png

On the plus side tho! What a mega improvement to the uploading of photos!! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice clear screen layout - takes a bit of getting used to but it is nice and clear.  some pages seem a bit slow to open at times - bedding-in perhaps?  New posts seem to come up just like they did in the past and interestingly they show as read immediately you have posted in them which is a nice improvement.  Although this new software still can't prevent typos, weird :rolleyes:

BUT what goes on with pictures?  In the past if I clicked on a picture it enlarged (assuming it was big enough to enlarge) but that no longer seems to happen.  For example this evening I posted a pic I have posted in the past and in the past it would enlarge when I clicked on it (posted at 1600x1200 pixels) but now all that happens is that the background around it goes black and the size of the picture is unaltered.  This could be a bit awkward when posting picture to illustrate detail in its proper context so is it a permanent feature or something which is in a developmental stage still?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Nelson Jackson said:

Already hit my first annoyance, why can are these highlighted in red and not allowing me to un tick the box for receiving emails, I can see it become rather annoying when my email is going to be constantly filled with PM emails, tried the unsubscribe button at the bottom and it brought me to the same result. 

I thought that too Nelson, but as far as I can see is only for private messages (which might be useful if you have a message but don't come here often) - in my case I rarely use the PM feature, so it won't matter, and I unticked the rest as I don't want my inbox filling with constant notifications.  I'm sure there's a reason why it's been set up like that, hopefully Andy Y will shed some light on it.  

One issue I'm seeing though is that people's signatures are now much longer and in some cases excessively long, as well as not really being separated from the main body of the post very well, which doesn't make for easy reading.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, russ p said:

I'm kind of learning how to use it but what is VERY irritating is that you can't go to the last post in a thread and when after looking at a post and pressing back it puts you at the start again of unread posts.

I know a lot of work has gone into this but still much prefer old one.

I used to be a regular on the maestro montego  forum and they changed to something akin to this and couldn't get away with it so left 

Click on the black dot to go to the first unread post (the site remembers where you got to and you can pick up on new posts from where you left off).

or (using screenshot as an example)

Click on where it says '1,022 replies' to go to the very latest post regardless of whether you have read the thread.

167662750_Screenshot2019-02-01at23_42_25.png.fe4c4609e30318946980baee82d4c6e5.png

• Like 1

Wow, reading all those comments; moaning about missing features, having a go at the others, repeating questions that was already asked by someone else, or not being patience, it's just like watching a model railway world version of Eastenders. Now where's that popcorn.....?

I'll wait for all issues to be fixed before I'll see how the new improvements turns out. All that hard work making improvements are greatly appreciated though. 

Edited by Cheekypaul
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I like what I've seen so far,so well done Andy and same to all who helped, sounds like it's been a long and arduous journey. Can't believe though, some of the impatience displayed by some!!  Surely just hold back and I have no doubt it will all be good in a week or so and a couple of weeks later the old site will become a distant memory:D.

Rgds.........Mike                                                                                                        

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, uax6 said:

Is there a way of getting the activity feeds to exist at the top of the window? Its a right pain to have to go through loads of sub menus to get to them....

And the All activity tab is all very nice, but do we need to see who has liked what it that feed? It just needs to have what we used to have, the threads that have had something written in them...

Andy G

(wanting so hard to like this new look, but finding it clumsy like lots of new software, designed by geeks for geeks who have only ever used their finger on a touch screen, and not ever used their software on a proper computer)

Having by accident increased the size of the window that I view the web in (I'm in work and I have to have a trust screen up to see where the trains are!) I have suddenly found that top of the window has changed to include a much more familiar RMweb looking top, with bits in a much more logical place.

I'm surprised that just widening the window has made such a difference, but it really has, and at a stroke has made the site much more user friendly! Sadly the 'top' button hasn't reappeared by doing this!

I wonder what else I'm going to fix for myself by accident over the coming weeks?

Andy G

(Feeling much more positive about the change now, especially as features that were in the last incarnation actually work now (like the going to first unread post in a thread.. ). Right off to play about a bit more....)

• Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Having by accident increased the size of the window that I view the web in (I'm in work and I have to have a trust screen up to see where the trains are!) I have suddenly found that top of the window has changed to include a much more familiar RMweb looking top, with bits in a much more logical place.

I'm surprised that just widening the window has made such a difference, but it really has, and at a stroke has made the site much more user friendly! Sadly the 'top' button hasn't reappeared by doing this!

I wonder what else I'm going to fix for myself by accident over the coming weeks?

Andy G

(Feeling much more positive about the change now, especially as features that were in the last incarnation actually work now (like the going to first unread post in a thread.. ). Right off to play about a bit more....)

Are you grabbing a rest day :dance_mini:

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Robin2 said:

I am inclined to the same view.

I must look about to see if there are any other model railway forums.

...R

You know, I've been thinking I need an account to test the new Hammer of Moderation tools on. 

Since you won't be needing yours any more, thanks for volunteering it.

(Andy promises me that the moderation tools are based on the Blake's 7 episodes "Weapon". I can't wait to get my hands on them!)

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I am inclined to the same view.

I must look about to see if there are any other model railway forums.

There are mate, I've been a member of two for a long time...........buddy they don't hold a candle to this one, so perhaps you should try them, you'll soon be back!!

Mike

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have just spent an hour sorting out login details for numerous users from last night who were unable to login. 75% of the cases came because they couldn't retrieve their password because they haven't updated email accounts when they've changed mail providers.

It's worth suggesting again that if a user cannot login that they clear any site cookies and try again.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Nelson Jackson said:

That has now been amended so you can opt out of receiving those notifications in your Notification Settings.

• Thanks 4