New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium

Change! - it's always a trick issue and this is probably "user error" although I think it might not be.

Everytime I try and log in, be it my iPad or the computer, my user name/password is not recognised and I have to go through the Forgot password routine. But the odd thing is, that I then enter the same password every time and it is ok!

Thanks, Neal.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Everytime I try and log in, be it my iPad or the computer, my user name/password is not recognised and I have to go through the Forgot password routine. But the odd thing is, that I then enter the same password every time and it is ok!

Try clearing any site cookies from browsers and see if it still persists.

• Thanks 1

First off thanks Andy & Co for your time and effort.

I always set my bookmark to "New Content" and viewed from there - no longer possible. I have set a new bookmark (Chrome on Win 10 desktop) to "ALL Activity" and this works fine, for me it is almost as before, with the additional bonus of new content being auto downloaded, just need to click occasionally on the yellow new items bar on the top. Great. I don't need to view all the likes thumbs up smileys etc on this list though (and there are lots of them) - it clutters this page up a bit.

Visually both the background (light blue) and the text are a little too light for my ageing eyes. Just a tad darker (especially the text) would be fine.

I've not yet used all the bells & whistles - but I find my old bookmarks to various posts work, barring photos which I understand will appear soon.

All in all OK and (like win 10, chrome, etc etc) I will get used to it quickly.

Brit15

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The option for content I posted in is including several threads in which I haven't and ignoring several where I have.  For now assuming this is due to the ongoing background indexing but mentioned in case others have also noticed it.

I am pleasantly surprised by the new format and put myself among those who have made positive comments to our Parish Chairman, thank you.

Its never easy when decisions are made to either try and enhance or modernise but I consider that one important aspect will be the site security and is a must for all in this "New" Parish.

Having spent an interesting evening going on an expedition  through the new RM Crystal Web Maze I seem to have lost my "friends" which I am not sure is a good or bad thing !!!

It'll all come out in the wash and once its dry with a bit of pulling and stretching it fit again I'm sure.

G

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

Definitely user error! - It's fixed now, thanks Andy :-)

It takes a good man to admit that. After sorting things for some people they just say "it's fixed itself now". :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

With most things in life, we are comfortable with what we are used to, and RMWeb is no exception. I'm sure we'll get used to it, but to do that you have to get in there and use it.

Thumbs up from me.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Having run my own Web business I know what these things are like so my sympathies to Andy and the team.

Technology let's us do amazing things, but the complexity that facilitates those things is often a total [insert expletive here] to set up and get working. Sadly applying various metal based objects to the offending piece of kit doesn't work in the digital world.

Thanks to the team. Good luck. En route to the Stafford show :)

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry to be yet another complainer, but....

In order of issues.

1. It's way too bright, a bit of colour on the borders would help.

2. And this was nearly 1. The topics have too much in the descriptors, making scrolling down far more often than I've experienced on any other forum, and I've been a forum user for over 20 yrs. Could the teaser be dropped and the font size reduced so more topics appear at one time? As is it's difficult to use on a large PC screen and a waste of time on a tablet or phone.

Sorry to be so negative, I love this forum, but not the shadow of its former self it is at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, GeoffAlan said:

2. And this was nearly 1. The topics have too much in the descriptors, making scrolling down far more often than I've experienced on any other forum, and I've been a forum user for over 20 yrs. Could the teaser be dropped and the font size reduced so more topics appear at one time? As is it's difficult to use on a large PC screen and a waste of time on a tablet or phone.

Sorry to be so negative, I love this forum, but not the shadow of its former self it is at the moment.

You need to click 'condensed' above the list (top right of this screenshot)

344917192_Screenshot2019-02-02at10_50_30.png.349eb087f25133eeca0ecb1701bf63ab.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I can't see any post numbers? This makes it difficult to cross reference items.

Post numbers in their own right are useless as content may be hidden or removed affecting subsequent numbering. Every post has a share icon at the top right which when clicked gives a hyperlink to the post location which is better than just the number. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

22 hours ago,  47137 said: 

I am saddened to see all of the custom blocks on my blog have disappeared, they gave me a structure to work to. But perhaps they will reappear before the upgrade is finished.

- Richard.

22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'll have a look into that next week Richard.

That'd be appreciated Andy. I think it's applicable to every blog. 

Keep smiling. At least we're fortunate to now have time to do some modelling! I suspect you might not have that luxury for a while...

Edited by ullypug
original quote helps context!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just want to add my Thanks to Andy (and anyone else that has worked behind the scenes on this upgrade!!)

In my opinion there are issues, however I'm pretty sure a few of them will be fixed by the site managing to re-index itself. So I'll save my moaning until it's done and Andy has had a chance to fix other things.

In the meantime can I advise everyone else have a poke around the site as I have been doing, I have managed to find solutions to most of the issues I have had. The site was essentially broken based on how I used to old site originally, again something that may get fixed by indexing, but after having a play in the "Activity Streams" I have actually improved the way I use the site!!

So once again thanks to Andy for getting the site running again, having built and managed some pretty big websites in the past (including forums) I know what a stressful and all consuming job this can be!

Gary

PS. Where do we make donations to the "Andy York Beer Fund"??

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Came back to it yesterday and found I was already logged in.

Don’t want to log out in case I can’t get back in.

Any complaints - only the big space at the top of most pages where it looks like a chuffing great advert will go. Also a bit dazzly on the iPad as though the contrast is wrong.

Otherwise a job well done - so far.

Rob

• Like 1

I like it now I have had a little while to get used to it.

The only thing I really miss is the Content I Follow box that was on the top right hand side of the page. A quick glance showed what was new. Any chance of something similar in the future?