New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, ullypug said:

22 hours ago,  47137 said: 

I am saddened to see all of the custom blocks on my blog have disappeared, they gave me a structure to work to. But perhaps they will reappear before the upgrade is finished.

- Richard.

That'd be appreciated Andy. I think it's applicable to every blog. 

Keep smiling. At least we're fortunate to now have time to do some modelling! I suspect you might not have that luxury for a while...

I kept a back up of my blog as pdf pages. So far I have transferred my old "custom blocks" from pdf to Word and then from there as html into Programmers Notepad. So I have complete html paragraphs I can copy and paste. Then I get stuck trying to paste working html into the new "sidebar" feature.

Many thanks to Mikkel for his PM, his Farthing Layouts blog already looks great in the new system.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Searching for some stuff again today, I think the full indexing is going to take at least a week at the present rate.

It's also strangely random. For example, hovering over user names on the left, the pop-up shows the last-visited time. For most users it shows the last few hours/minutes as expected. Mine and few others say Tuesday -- when Andy pulled the plug on the old version.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Have you seen those red and orange things? Or read all of the paragraphs in my OP?

How is the update going for seeing 'Content I follow'?

I have looked, tried various options on activity streams and so far, no combination of options I have tried shows me ‘content I follow' old, new, updated and not updated. Specifically, I cannot see topics that I follow that have not been updated recently, which I use as a mine of information when modelling. This might be due to the archive working on new content ahead of older entries, it might be that a very specific combination of options is required to get to that listing.

The best option I have found is to go to 'Manage Followed Content' and use that to browse the key content I want to follow. This is not as good as what we had before, but it is better than any other option I have seen so far.

EDIT: Not usre if it was there before but the 'Conent I Follow' tab/button at the top is a good idea.

I would be interested to know how the updating process is going and when the forum reaches full functionality, and what that level of functionality is.

One other question, is it possible to show all of RMweb in ‘condensed view’?

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

Being an old fart, like many here, I do not like change. But, having poked around for an hour or so on this site, I can see that this may be one change that I'm going to like - well maybe not like, but just get used to and accept that that's the way it is. I expect in a month or so, it'll all be working fine

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

While I do not wish to be negative about all the work put into getting the forum back on line I am finding the new software very unfriendly.

I looked for "My content" under my name to amend a post. This is no longer listed.

I am finding it very annoying having waded through a lot of threads and going into one that does, when I come out I am back at the latest entry, so I have to wade through the whole lot again!

Hence my support for the list / index of threads should be paged as per the previous incarnation of RMW.

Gordon A

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Logged in without any issue and been wandering around, I like the new look so far and have found it fairly easy to navigate, and easy enough to post on topics. A couple of bits may be missing but I'll wait until the upgrade has finished.

Thumbs up from me for all the hard work :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I don't know what I have done but I seem to stopped notifications of "likes" etc. How do I get them back?

Perhaps nobody likes you Clive...

Seriously, click on the bell-shaped icon near the top right and select Notification Settings. That lets you choose how you want to be notified when somebody "reacts" (surely there must be a better term?) to your content.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Is there any way of getting links to photos on Google Drive to show up as inline images, or is that a restriction by Google? Example below:-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11LvE1AmPuISHuY4IuuhMHBpMADe7DA3g

I can save images to my desktop, say, and drag to a post - is that what you mean? (download image from google drive.)

DSCI0890.jpg

Edited by raymw

Unfortunately I find this site very uncomfortable to use. It is now way as user friendly as the old site. Signing on is hit and miss, the way the listings is shown does mot appear clear and to my eyes it is not a pleasant experience to visit the forum any more !

Sorry if I appear negative but positive and negative responses need to be know by the web masters. 

• Agree 2

With regards to images I've uploaded to my blogs, about 95 percent of the images  were attached to the blog entries, but not actually inserted as text into the blog document, although I realise now that this method was incorrect, the blogs  did display OK. When I check the images in the 'my attachments' menu all the images are displayed there and most but not all have a blog assigned to them.  My question , is the re-indexing going to solve this probel or should I start to re-attach the images to their respective blog entry.

(b) Have we done away with the friends section in the blog, or is it hidden somewhere ?.

(c)  Is there anyway to get a copy of my blog customised menu's ?.

(d)  I'm about 400 likes down on my ratings.

Regards Snitzl

• RMweb Gold

A hearty thanks to Andy & the team for their hard work in what must be a chaotic situation; made more difficult by a select few unable to accept any form of change and quite publicly throw their toys out of the pram! I have to say I was quite shocked (but also unsurprised given human behaviour in general) at some of the comments and status updates; but the less said about that, the better!

As I understand it, this core update was long-overdue and has only been undertaken now due to a serious security flaw. To all those who find it difficult at the moment; please, just give it time! Whilst initially a shock to the system, the new "activity streams" actually offer a more versatile approach to finding content. On a site this huge, this can only be a good thing! I appreciate some of you will find the changes a lot more difficult to get your head around, but give it a week or two; you'll be surprised how quickly you can adjust to the new ways.

Overall, personally I found it a very welcome change. There are clearly things that need time to index, and features that are missing; but that will all reappear given some time and patience.
This thread seems to be a very appropriate way to request changes; so if there is really something that you feel is crucial; suggest it there. 

The only thing for me to do is to start posting after a long hiatus, so I can properly enjoy the new-look forum!
Hang in there folks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikes rail said:

Thanks for all your hard work Andy but take care, if you continue to sort out problems at this rate you could find yourself called to number 10 to deal with a little problem they have!

Ha! And some people reckon we're the disreputable bunch of King Canutes who don't take note of the damage we cause with our actions? :jester:

Anyway, back on topic. I've had a mooch around the new site, both yesterday & this morning. Taking heed of notices re: site regeneration, there's been a noticeable improvement since yesterday. The major unnoticed (by many) improvement is integral with the software - https. I'd seen a big increase in certain types of spam entering my site registered email account since, say, December, so the upgrade is really appreciated.

Sure, I'll miss my default VNC tab, but I'll wait until everything's stabilised before messing around tuning with the activity settings.

Finally, and yes I realise i'm stating a major plus of the new software, but browsing the site on a mobile is a major improvement. Browsing was ok but interacting with the old version on my mobile was virtually impossible - although that may have been a design feature?!

Diolch yn fawr!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, raymw said:

I can save images to my desktop, say, and drag to a post - is that what you mean? (download image from google drive.)

DSCI0890.jpg

Yes, that's how I've had to do it in the past, just thought I'd ask the question to see if there's a workaround. I'm guessing it's a restriction on the part of Google.

Thanks.

Is there a way to edit a post to activate the "Notify me of Replies" button after I post?

197551600_rmwebnotify.JPG.954abdbaab31cdec0ac779f576b1dd61.JPG

I seem to keep forgetting to set this (or can I universally set this in my profile?)

Edit: Darn, DARN, DARN! Just did it again! Idiot

Edited by Damo666

• RMweb Gold

One thing to note is that the new forum software has bigger line spacing in the post formatting.

Like this.

So if you double spaced before to give some space between the lines...

... like this, then it fills up more space.

However, if you want to make multiple lines with smaller spacing....
... Like this...
Then hold 'shift' then press 'return' when making a new line.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

One thing which I find slightly annoying is when I look at an update in an activity stream, I can't click on the update itself, it goes to the beginning of the topic.

Is there a workaround for this?