New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Corbs said:

Click on the black dot to go to the first unread post (the site remembers where you got to and you can pick up on new posts from where you left off).

or (using screenshot as an example)

Click on where it says '1,022 replies' to go to the very latest post regardless of whether you have read the thread.

167662750_Screenshot2019-02-01at23_42_25.png.fe4c4609e30318946980baee82d4c6e5.png

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Is there a way to edit a post to activate the "Notify me of Replies" button after I post?

197551600_rmwebnotify.JPG.954abdbaab31cdec0ac779f576b1dd61.JPG

I seem to keep forgetting to set this (or can I universally set this in my profile?)

Edit: Darn, DARN, DARN! Just did it again! Idiot

I think you may find it in Notification settings. See the bell on the top menu bar....

1058212412_Screenshot2019-02-02at12_51_54.png.9477f555d150b54713d986c85716b1f1.png

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

One thing which I find slightly annoying is when I look at an update in an activity stream, I can't click on the update itself, it goes to the beginning of the topic.

Is there a workaround for this?

Click on the black dot rather than the topic title.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps nobody likes you Clive...

Seriously, click on the bell-shaped icon near the top right and select Notification Settings. That lets you choose how you want to be notified when somebody "reacts" (surely there must be a better term?) to your content.

Thanks John

Hello, am I doing something wrong or missing something ? I had a good amount of content I followed, along with a good number of personal messages with valuable modelling info in, but I can’t find them anywhere in my account or activity profile.

Also my ratings score is now at 1, when I had a couple of thousand, will all this information comeback when the site has rebuilt itself ? Or have I been reset ?

best regards

Craig

• RMweb Gold
Just now, muddysblues said:

Hello, am I doing something wrong or missing something ? I had a good amount of content I followed, along with a good number of personal messages with valuable modelling info in, but I can’t find them anywhere in my account or activity profile.

Also my ratings score is now at 1, when I had a couple of thousand, will all this information comeback when the site has rebuilt itself ? Or have I been reset ?

best regards

Craig

You're coming up as a brand new user.

1 minute ago, muddysblues said:

best regards

Craig

You've not been reset or anything but that does seem low, I'll try and keep an eye on yours as it rebuilds.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nice clear screen layout - takes a bit of getting used to but it is nice and clear.  some pages seem a bit slow to open at times - bedding-in perhaps?  New posts seem to come up just like they did in the past and interestingly they show as read immediately you have posted in them which is a nice improvement.  Although this new software still can't prevent typos, weird :rolleyes:

BUT what goes on with pictures?  In the past if I clicked on a picture it enlarged (assuming it was big enough to enlarge) but that no longer seems to happen.  For example this evening I posted a pic I have posted in the past and in the past it would enlarge when I clicked on it (posted at 1600x1200 pixels) but now all that happens is that the background around it goes black and the size of the picture is unaltered.  This could be a bit awkward when posting picture to illustrate detail in its proper context so is it a permanent feature or something which is in a developmental stage still?

I think I Andy has commented that the speed of the site is being affected because of the indexing the server is doing. The issue with your photos, I suspect is that it depends on your screen resolution.  Now the forum displays bigger images, if your uploading at 1600pixels wide, and it can display at that size, I think it is.  If you uploaded at say 2500pixels wide, I think you’d still get the bigger imager. Basically the bigger width means you no longer need to click to get the bigger pictures appearing.

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

Is there any way of getting links to photos on Google Drive to show up as inline images, or is that a restriction by Google? Example below:-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11LvE1AmPuISHuY4IuuhMHBpMADe7DA3g

Normally there may be a plug or such for the software which Andy may need to investigate if he wants to do that, but remember that normally one website does not have access to others. You may be able to copy and paste a HTML link if the image on your Google Drive is publically available, but this forum software would not normally have any knowledge of what is on your google drive, hence why it would need a separate update.

56 minutes ago, johnd said:

Unfortunately I find this site very uncomfortable to use. It is now way as user friendly as the old site. Signing on is hit and miss, the way the listings is shown does mot appear clear and to my eyes it is not a pleasant experience to visit the forum any more !

Sorry if I appear negative but positive and negative responses need to be know by the web masters. 

I think the site colours are just something to get use to. The light blue sides make this less bright to me than the BBC News website. Remember the site now adapts to your screen width, so it may help you to reduce the width of your browser window. The forum page will automatically adjust.

personally, I wasn’t keen first look - but then I am iT knowledgable and don’t like change!! Growing on me now, tho! Certainly the display and uploading of images is a big improvement. I think we all need to remember that as individual users, just because things worked for us under the old software, doesn’t mean it was running right. Also bear in mind this isn’t Andy’s personal creation, the core software is ‘off the shelf’ so some ifvthe new things may just be how the software now works, not specifically what Andy/Warner’s has specified.

@Andy Y

Not wishing to add to your workload, but would it be worth considering (when you have time) a locked ‘FAQ’ section in the same part of rmWeb as this thread? Locking it means only you can post of course, but it would keep it concise and to the point. Each question as a separate post, it might help people and save them wading through 15 pages on here - a suitable, before you query, shout or wing, check here kind of link to the FAQ in your signature may help reduce the demands on your time. Just a thought!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a note for anyone looking to send a PM. On the old site you clicked the envelope icon under a users name on a thread. Not sure if this is on Andy’s to do list to restore or not, but in the meantime, click on the users name to go to their profile, then click the message button.

Hope that helps somebody.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

would it be worth considering (when you have time) a locked ‘FAQ’ section in the same part of rmWeb as this thread? Locking it means only you can post of course, but it would keep it concise and to the point. Each question as a separate post, it might help people and save them wading through 15 pages on here - a suitable, before you query, shout or wing, check here kind of link to the FAQ in your signature may help reduce the demands on your time

Ummmm, a frequently ignored information page may be useful - takes time to build a useful one though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Searching for some stuff again today, I think the full indexing is going to take at least a week month at the present rate.

It's also strangely random. For example, hovering over user names on the left, the pop-up shows the last-visited time. For most users it shows the last few hours/minutes as expected. Mine and few others say Tuesday -- when Andy pulled the plug on the old version.

This indexing is fun. Despite not having visited the site since last Tuesday, I appear to have logged in from Bilston, Wolverhampton, 10 minutes ago. I'm nowhere near Bilston -- I''m not even sure where it is.

rmweb_bilston.png.e51a37b789988810d2fa90451716e3f8.png

Using IP addresses like this is utterly meaningless, at least in the UK.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

With updated software which gives better resilience against security issues other features get updated to something more contemporary or have you still got buttons on your TV?

Actually my TV does, along the top, and it is under 10 years old. Some still do, but not that many.

Is there any way of showing/discovering a "post number" ?  This was present in the old software, and is sometimes useful  in conveniently referring to particular posts. Also, the old software showed both date and time, which was a handy alternative - now, for older posts, only the date is showing. I apologise if this has already been covered somewhere else.

As to dates, Today (2nd January), some posts are shown as "3rd January" on this thread:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140724-any-recommendations-for-model-shops-buying-collections/&page=3

As to the overall impression, the new forum is too clumsy and too "busy" for my tastes.

Edited by Mike Buckner
Date inaccuracies

3 hours ago, Boris said:

Next complaint, the new forum software has no discernable effect on my modelling or my sex life.

Can I have a warning point now?

Speak for yourself Boris. While the site was down for the upgrade I got far more than usual...

... modelling time, I mean.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I am not going to moan or complain because as Andy said the site needs to settle down and modifications reinstated.

I will even not bother doing any configuring on feeds until Andy mods are reinstated as I am sure something will happen.

Has the brightness been toned down?

I will probably post less since it takes longer CURRENTLY to locate stuff, but I am patient.

I know the pains of changing software and customising.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

Is there any way of showing/discovering a "post number" ?

Hi Mike,

You can discover it -- hover over "Posted n minutes ago" above a post and the number will be shown in the browser bottom status bar, or right-click and copy the link to the post. Your post is 3454232:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141839-new-forum-software/&do=findComment&comment=3454232

How much use it is, is debatable since there is no easy way to see it on the page. It's easier to post the link, as above. The editor conveniently converts it to a clickable extract, like this:

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

One point I just noticed is the page navigation within a topic. On the old site you could jump to a page, now there appear to be just Next, Previous, First and Last buttons.

A small point, but sometimes I just happen to remember that some information I want is on page 23 of 57. Is there somewhere in the site admin settings an option to switch on 'jump to page'? (Currently reading this on my phone, so apologies if it's already on the desktop version).

Edited as i accidentally found the answer...

Jump to page still exists by clicking on the Page x of y bit of the header - it's just not obvious (at least on the phone) that it's a clickable object.

Edited by sharris
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Has anyone found "Kenton" in the website rebuild?

Just wondering.....

Don't know about Kenton but I did spot a post while looking for something by someone that left the forum quite a few years ago and had all their content removed.