New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

I may have missed it, but has the previous features of "number of views" and "people currently visiting" been lost on threads with the update (which I actually think will be an improvement, once I get used to it} ?

• RMweb Gold

Also, if anyone wants to have a quick link to 'Content I follow' or even a custom stream at the top right corner of the forum as a quick-link, like this:

392659019_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_43_48.png.dd5aa44c85b2910eecbfb7bf9dc717f0.png

Then open the stream, and click on the little tick next to the stream name to set it as your default.

1904098833_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_43_55.png.8b43000d1a881bf3668e2db639dff87b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Much improved appearance of the blogs, I think.  Nice to be able to customise them with images.  Clear distinctions between the main sections of the site, too. Well tweaked so far Andy, good luck in the weeks to come.

Wow, The Farthing blog look fantastic, Mikkel. I can see a load of time spent catching up on missed post. I hated the old blog format, I found it too hard to find things and thus never ventured into the area.

I hope others follow your lead and spruce their blogs up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Also, if anyone wants to have a quick link to 'Content I follow' or even a custom stream at the top right corner of the forum as a quick-link, like this:

392659019_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_43_48.png.dd5aa44c85b2910eecbfb7bf9dc717f0.png

Then open the stream, and click on the little tick next to the stream name to set it as your default.

1904098833_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_43_55.png.8b43000d1a881bf3668e2db639dff87b.png

Just found that, it makes things even easier, good tip!

Steve.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Genius of the Day Corbs!

I didn't realise it did that - now if you can everyone to just call their stream 'View New Content' we can all get some peace and quiet. ;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, john new said:

The option for content I posted in is including several threads in which I haven't and ignoring several where I have.  For now assuming this is due to the ongoing background indexing but mentioned in case others have also noticed it.

Follow up query clarifying re above: - are the topics shown below the recent posts onto the new version (which are correct) supposed to be one's I've posted into? Those are the one's that look to possibly be wrong as I've no memory of the topics. One of those has two posts, neither mine, nor is it one I've even viewed. 

However, it does contain the word New in the post title. Are usernames including words like New, Old, Green, Brown etc getting picked up by the indexing tool? Just a thought.

Edit: Is it also including topics I've viewed but not posted into? Again one listed has only three posts, none mine, but I had viewed it.

Edited by john new
Accidentally posted too early, I'd not finished the writing.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Just a note, I am not seeing any like buttons etc on the mobile version on an iPad. Also, it may be right, but it’s showing me a max size for files of 9.77MB, which seems an odd size! Andy Y - no need to reply unless you really want to, just feeding back info that may/may not help!

Rich

22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I set a limit of 10MB for post content (as I had to get rid of a lot of very large files!) so it's shrunk in the wash.

10,000,000 bytes / 1,024 bytes per kilobyte =  9765.625  kB which can be approximated as 9,770 kB or 9.77 MB. In my time I have seen some software doing that, and I'm wondering if that is what is happening here.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Budgie said:

10,000,000 bytes / 1,024 bytes per kilobyte =  9765.625  kB which can be approximated as 9,770 kB or 9.77 MB. In my time I have seen some software doing that, and I'm wondering if that is what is happening here.

I think it possibly was - although Andy's now amended it and I see its now showing 10MB :)

Rich

14 minutes ago, rowanj said:

I may have missed it, but has the previous features of "number of views" and "people currently visiting" been lost on threads with the update (which I actually think will be an improvement, once I get used to it} ?

Those features have disappeared I think. Not sure whether there are plans to put them back. (Neither were particularly useful in my view.)

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

3. There's a share icon at the top right of the post which brings up a link.

I'm sorry, but I can't see the share icon; at the top right of the post I just see "Report Post"

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Budgie said:

I'm sorry, but I can't see the share icon; at the top right of the post I just see "Report Post"

Its this little one next to 'Report Post'

1515163392_Screenshot2019-02-02at14_51_05.png.965804e80562741a3c9ebef50e65af14.png

Rich

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I've given you a heart on that post, what does it look like now?

Thanks dear heart! 

No heart, no thumbs-up button on that post (or any of mine), even with the browser window at a screen width of "humungous", i.e. the width of a 24-inch screen.

There are thumbs-up buttons on posts which aren't mine.

40 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

It could depend on the size of your browser window. On smaller width windows the site will adopt the mobile device view (as is now standard on most websites) and Andy did mention that he'd discovered some bits were missing at the moment on the mobile view, but he'd added them to the list.  Can you make your screen any wider - does it show then?...

Edited by eastwestdivide
Added MarshLane's partial quote

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Thanks dear heart! 

No heart, no thumbs-up button on that post (or any of mine), even with the browser window at a screen width of "humungous", i.e. the width of a 24-inch screen.

Are you on an ipad/ios device?

• RMweb Premium

I just spotted a thread that I had posted on just before the change over. The threads that I have posted on are usually indicated by a star but in this case there was only the usual black dot. I assume this is to do with 'My Content' and is still a work in progress.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Thanks dear heart! 

We seem to have lost the option to switch that option for mobile view off. Even on a small phone screen most websites are easier to use in "traditional browser" format as the mobile version dumbs things down and removes functionality as the poster above mentions. Sadly. one of the downsides of so called progress.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Thanks dear heart! 

You could never rate your own posts on the old forum.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Are you on an ipad/ios device?

No, I'm on Mac OS 10.12, Chrome 71.

Same result on same computer with Safari 12 (i.e. no thumbs-up or list of Likes when I view my own posts)

And same result on same computer with Firefox 60.4.0esr

If I view posts in Firefox or Safari without being logged in, no posts at all show the thumbs-up. I can't tell on Chrome, as I'm logged in writing this reply...

Edit: I logged out on Chrome, deleted all rmweb cookies, opened Chrome again: when still logged out, no thumbs-up on any posts. When logged back in, only my posts are missing the thumbs-up and any Likes etc. i.e. same behaviour on all 3 browsers.

Edited by eastwestdivide
logged out/cleared cookies
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy i think you should put a new topic at the front end, let Corbs do his 'How to ' on creating a stream showing  my new content , then lock the bloomin thing so instead of us trolling back through this thread to find it we can point peeps to Corbs post ! Bloomin genius ;)    thst should kill a few hundred new posts in here :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Yes, I know that, but the problem is that you used to be able to see who else had rated your own posts

Just to confirm, I am on a Mac with Safari too. I suspect this could be to do with the indexing.  The 'likes' etc are showing for the posts I have made to day, but not for anything prior to Tuesday.  Is that the same situation your in EWD? If so, it may well resolve itself once the indexing is completed.

Rich